Installing Tachometer 1968 Mustang - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Confused Installing Tachometer 1968 Mustang

Greetings: Could someone tell me if there are instructions available on what is required to add a factory tachometer to a car that is a non-tach car? My car is a 1968 Convertible. I purchased a restored factory gauge assembly w/ housing that has a tachometer in it and I would like to switch it out with the non-tach cluster. Any assistance / directions regarding the electrical / wiring would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..
MP44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Everything you need to know right here from one of our own:

Welcome to Midlife Harness Restorations

65 FB Family owned since new
Build pics: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sub-frame.html

66 Convert-Heidts-351W-AOD-3.40 Posi
Build pics: www.stangfix.com/index.php?topic=11220.0

67 FB Anti-Eleanor
Build pics: www.stangfix.com/index.php?topic=8928.0

Cars & Coffee

Lucas HVAC
Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Midlife has what you need. As he says the 67/68 Mustang with deluxe Tach cluster has little to no factory wiring/harness documentation. I have a copy of the Mustang Monthly Tech article on installing a deluxe tach cluster in a 67/68 Mustang. My first posting on VMF was the same question you posted here. A VMF guy back then in 2006 was kind to me and sent me this article. If you'd like a copy for added info PM me with your e-mail I'll send it to you.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Coleman & Slim, Thanks for taking the time to post a response to my question. The information you posted is exactly what I needed. Thanks again & have a great week!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi did you ever get the information you were looking for on this? I was able to install a factory tach in my 67 and posted it here a few years ago. I did not replace the wiring harnesses, nor did I have to add any wiring to the existing wire harness. I was able to use the wire which originally ran from the voltage regulator to the ammeter and did some rearranging of wires behind the instrument panel in order for the ALT light to work as well.
I'd have to review my notes but my setup works just like factory and I did not have to buy any harnesses...

Let me know if you are interested and I can try to dig up the info for you....
Tom
pensapilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensapilot View Post
Hi did you ever get the information you were looking for on this? I was able to install a factory tach in my 67 and posted it here a few years ago. I did not replace the wiring harnesses, nor did I have to add any wiring to the existing wire harness. I was able to use the wire which originally ran from the voltage regulator to the ammeter and did some rearranging of wires behind the instrument panel in order for the ALT light to work as well.
I'd have to review my notes but my setup works just like factory and I did not have to buy any harnesses...

Let me know if you are interested and I can try to dig up the info for you....
Tom

In 2006 my first posting on VMF was same topic. That's when/why I joined. A VMF member sent me the Mustang Monthly tech aticle showing how to do this using existing harnesses.

I sent the article to Bill and he is als incontact with Midlife.

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
In 2006 my first posting on VMF was same topic. That's when/why I joined. A VMF member sent me the Mustang Monthly tech aticle showing how to do this using existing harnesses.

I sent the article to Bill and he is als incontact with Midlife.

Slim
Ok very good...

In case you need some info on how to do it without buying a new harness, let me know...

tom
Old 03-30-2010, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensapilot View Post
Ok very good...

In case you need some info on how to do it without buying a new harness, let me know...

tom
That article explains how to without new harness!!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to dchappy
Default Help Installing a 68 gt tach

Help!! I'm going to reinstall the original Tach dash back into my 68 GT S Code. Someone else restored it and used the standard harness's along with a standard dash with a small tach where the clock should be. The signal is on the - minus side of an MSD blaster coil. I'd like to do the easiest solution. I'd keep the existing harness. I've figured how to connect everything but the stock Tach. I'd like to connect one wire to the ignition (Constant voltage unit) and the other wire (red) to the + side of the coil using a ballast (1.5 ohm) in between. It seem to me that the Tach can be wired separately. Will this setup work, or I'm I all wet about this. I've be tring to find a Tach schematic with no luck.
dchappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to dchappy
Confused Help Installing a 68 gt tach

Help!! I'm going to reinstall the original Tach dash back into my 68 GT S Code. Someone else restored it and used the standard harness's along with a standard dash with a small tach where the clock should be. The signal is on the - minus side of an MSD blaster coil. I'd like to do the easiest solution. I'd keep the existing harness. I've figured how to connect everything but the stock Tach. I'd like to connect one wire to the ignition (Constant voltage unit) and the other wire (red) to the + side of the coil using a ballast (1.5 ohm) in between. It seem to me that the Tach can be wired separately. Will this setup work, or I'm I all wet about this. I've be tring to find a Tach schematic with no luck.

Last edited by dchappy; 03-31-2010 at 12:12 AM.
dchappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
That article explains how to without new harness!!
Slim,

The article shows how to do it without using a new harness however, it has you run an extra wire through the firewall for the oil pressure gauge and the ALT light. I was able to do this without feeding an extra wire through the firewall by utilizing the Ammeter wire which is no longer used in the TACH setup. It saves the trouble of adding a new wire either to the harness or running a non-factory looking wire along the outside of the harness...

Just trying to be helpful here...And FYI, I was the one who gave MIDLIFE the instructions on how to do this about 5 years ago...

tom
Old 04-06-2010, 01:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Tom, I sent you a PM if you get a chance to read it. Thanks. Bill
Old 01-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hello

I am here to inquire how to install a Tachometer for my 67 Fastback that did not come with it. I came across one that included the speedometer with a tripometer as well. I have searched and came across this thread. I would like to get the same information using my existing harness to eliminate the expensive cost and painful removing the harness in place. Thanks to all

Lewis
US Army 17 yrs Active
FOB Airborne, Afghanistan
ArmyMustang67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default Mustang monthly tech article installing a deluxe tach cluster in a 67/68 mustang

Could you send me a copy of that article i am in the middle of trying to get my tach to work in my 68 fastback, thank you. you can email me at Quame1@aol.com. John

Quote:
Midlife has what you need. As he says the 67/68 Mustang with deluxe Tach cluster has little to no factory wiring/harness documentation. I have a copy of the Mustang Monthly Tech article on installing a deluxe tach cluster in a 67/68 Mustang. My first posting on VMF was the same question you posted here. A VMF guy back then in 2006 was kind to me and sent me this article. If you'd like a copy for added info PM me with your e-mail I'll send it to you.
Drchiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #15 (permalink)

Can you send me the directions as well? Jchatas@gmail.com

Thanks!
1967 S code fastback
RCR GT40
1984 Porsche 911
chatas1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.