65/66 instrument bezel mystery - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 65/66 instrument bezel mystery

Hello folks,
I have one question: Do You know any allotment process why some of the ´65 Mustangs are equipped with the ´66 instrument bezel?
I know the differences between the Woodgrain´65/66 , the GT instrument bezels for this models year, but my question is if there exist (or at the history exist) some allotment key process.
I own ´65 Mustang fastabck 2+2, V8-289, 3.sp.manual (not GT for sure...the front disc brakes are missing, the grille-mounted drive lights and the side stripes are missing too...etc.). My Mustang friend own ´65 Mustang Coupe, equipped with I-200 and 3.sp.manual transmission and he have the same type of the Woodgrain instrument bezel like I have at my fastback.
I just want find out some key to undestand this instrument bezel mystery.
Friend´s coupe probably have changed the previous bezel at the history, maybe not. Thank You for any advice or any news of this knot.
Peter

Last edited by Peto.G; 04-02-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Peto.G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto.G View Post
Hello folks,
I have one question: Do You know any allotment process why some of the ´65 Mustangs are equipped with the ´66 instrument bezel?
The information posted below came from this page:Identifying the True Factory GT Hope it helps answer your question.

John

The 65 GT Mustang received five dial instrument gauges and flat glove box door with a "mustache" upper edge. The dash panel had to be modified to fit the 5 dial instrument gauges. The true factory GTs will have a rounded indent in the dash panel to accept the gauge cluster just like the standard 1966 dash panel. This is also true of all 65 Mustangs that got the optional deluxe or pony interior except the instrument cluster bezel and glove box door had a woodgrain appliqué. The GT standard interior instrument gauge bezel and glove box door was unique to 65 only (camera case finish with mustache upper edge).

Both years got the woodgrain and mustache upper edge instrument cluster and glove box door with pony interior GT or not.
70_Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Deluxe interior cars go the woodgrain five-dial cluster, steering wheel, and matching glove box door. If equipped with console it got woodgrain as well...

Switching from Falcon style to five-dial requires mods to the steel dash, but it has been done.
StrokerDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

About 5 minutes after the 66 Mustang hit the street, the 66 instrument cluster was getting converted into 65 Mustangs. Ford included the 5-gauge cluster with any 65 GT (black finish), and any 65 with deluxe interior (woodgrain finish), but nothing else. Ford only used the "woodgrain" bezel with the deluxe "pony" interior.

This has always been popular conversion, though. Unless you are a fanatic for correct originality, just leave it as it is.

It's easy to tell if a 65 car was originally equipped with the 5-gauge cluster. The steel dash was actually different. The standard dash was straight along the bottom of the instrument opening, but the 5-gauge got one with a curved notch to give better clearance to the round speedometer. Conversion does not require cutting this, though.

Last edited by 22GT; 04-02-2010 at 03:39 PM.
22GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
.... Ford included the 5-gauge cluster with and 65 GT (black finish), and any 65 with deluxe interior (woodgrain finish), but nothing else. Ford only used the "woodgrain" bezel with the deluxe "pony" interior........
Ahhhh, I'm sure you do know not all the 65 De-Lux (Pony interior) cars came with a 5 Dial cluster. Some of them did have the 65 Bar Speedo type bezel with a wood grain applique.
My first 2+2, was a red on red C-code, with De-Lux interior, and had that bezel.

EFI 331
Moates QH, 4R70W, Baumann TCS
75mm MAF,75mm TB,T-Moss ported GT-40 intake,24lb inj. Lunati VooDoo 221/229 cam, AFR 185's,JBA's
15" TTII's, 2.5" Magnaflow's, X pipe, 24" aluminum radiator, Unisteer Power R&P
11" Discs w/MS Power assist, Heimed Strut Rods, Arning Drop, Progressive coils, Roller Perches,KYB's
Flex-a-Form fiberglass springs,8" 3.55 T-lok
tubo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Hello turbo3

Execuse me, what You mean with the "65 Bar Speedo type bezel " ...do You mean the standard instrumen bezel ?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks all who answered to me...
Old 04-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubo3 View Post
Ahhhh, I'm sure you do know not all the 65 De-Lux (Pony interior) cars came with a 5 Dial cluster. Some of them did have the 65 Bar Speedo type bezel with a wood grain applique.
I would really like to see a picture or some other kind of proof of an ORIGINAL deluxe interior car with that came with a falcon-style gauge cluster.

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Rangoon Red with White w/Red Appointments Deluxe Interior
ivygreen65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivygreen65 View Post
I would really like to see a picture or some other kind of proof of an ORIGINAL deluxe interior car with that came with a falcon-style gauge cluster.
the possiblity of one of a kind exist. a friends 65 gt has 2 big "ROLLED LIP" holes the same size as the headlight wire fenderwell holes in the core support for his foglights and they were identical in size to the headlight holes and i dont see how those could be duplicated without the puncher. my guess was they had to punch the holes and the small hole puncher wasnt available. i think the normal size foglight holes for 65-66 gt in the core support is about 3/4" but i never measured them.

Last edited by supershifter2; 04-03-2010 at 05:26 PM.
supershifter2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifter2 View Post
the possiblity of one of a kind exist.
In a mass-produced automobile assembled on a production line, no, it normally doesn't.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubo3 View Post
My first 2+2, was a red on red C-code, with De-Lux interior, and had that bezel.
I have to see some documentation on that, since the 5-gauge cluster was part of all the original Ford sales literature. Let me re-phrase. Really good documentation. Part numbers for the "wood" Falcon bezel and "wood" concave glove box door, for example.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

22GT
I think that ad is the reason my GT got painted white. I found it in with all the paper work when I was going through it. It is suppose to be Black with red trim (pony).
rdlagray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

I changed mine to white over 20 years ago, and I've never been sorry. Funny thing about that ad, the deluxe interior at the top is not in the white GT at the bottom. On their worst day, even Ford wouldn't put a red stripe on a car with a green interior.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

Still waiting for some evidence of the deluxe interior with a falcon-type gauge cluster.......................

Old 04-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #15 (permalink)

IIR wasn't there an article in MM a few years ago showing Henry Fords II's black coupe with woodgrain touches to the sweep style bezel? (Among other HF2 only appointments)
65_fastback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.