69 or 70 Boss 302 RestoMod..... how much? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 69 or 70 Boss 302 RestoMod..... how much?

Hi folks... new to this forum!

I'm thinking about getting a 69 or 70 Boss 302 or maybe even a mach 1 that i can restore over the next 2-3 years. Most of the basic work I can do although I expect the body work and the major engine and suspension work will be done by a shop for me. I am hoping to build one of these cars into a reliable daily driver. So before I start looking for one I'm curious to know how much a restoration of car like this would cost.

Im thinking some things will be modern stuff and some original. The obvious things like disc brakes, a/c, p/s, etc. i will want added as more modern tech and then in terms of looks interior and exterior likely original parts. Motor and transmission i would like to stick with a regular 302 setup.

How much do you experienced folks out there think a project like this would cost assuming I can find a good base to work from in terms body, frame and motor... although i expect it will be hard to find a rust free body at this point.

thanks for your help in advance.... I just don't want to get head over heels into a project that i cant afford... I have never restored a car so Im not sure about costs but I am up to the challenge and willing to patiently learn as i go and work away at it.

thanks again!
JayStar86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Since you are building a fake BOSS 302, Just get a Dynacorn body, 69 or 70. Almost everything you need is available new, and you won't have to spend a lotta time and money repairing a rusty hulk, just to get started.

Cost will depend on how far you want to go. The BOSS clone, built from junk, is completely correct, down to the smallest BOSS detail, except for the VIN.

Last edited by 22GT; 04-03-2010 at 06:38 PM.
22GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
Since you are building a fake BOSS 302, Just get a Dynacorn body, 69 or 70. Almost everything you need is available new, and you won't have to spend a lotta time and money repairing a rusty hulk, just to get started.

Cost will depend on how far you want to go. The BOSS clone, built from junk, is completely correct, down to the smallest BOSS detail, except for the VIN.

thanks for the info... its much appreciated. I dont want to go over-board with is as I cant really, lol, I just want to build a nice basic boss 302 with some basic modern amenities so that its a reliable driving car.

how much you figure in terms of $$$ for something like that?
Old 04-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStar86 View Post
thanks for the info... its much appreciated. I dont want to go over-board with is as I cant really, lol, I just want to build a nice basic boss 302 with some basic modern amenities so that its a reliable driving car.

how much you figure in terms of $$$ for something like that?
Well, if you start with a Dynacorn body, figure about that much more to get it on the road, if you do most of the assembly work yourself.

You don't have to get nuts with that "modern" stuff to have a reliable car. These cars were very reliable. That "unreliable" stuff comes from people buying a beat-up 30 year old Mustang that was maintained poorly my the teenager who used to own it. In fact, in the past year I've heard of more Mustangs breaking down due to failed MSD ignition than from bad points.

Sure, some things, such as using a Sanden AC compressor instead of a York will run better, but leave the exotic suspensions etc. to people with money to burn.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you're already planing to use shops for body work, paint, engine & transmission work, you're going to be upside down unless you find a smoking deal on the car. Shop prices add up real fast. Knowing what I know now, I would buy one that needed nothing but gas.

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/a...70_cropped.jpg
69fback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Problem is, a well-done 69-70 is gonna cost him what I quoted anyway. I have seen a bunch of completed, "reasonally priced" Mustangs, and close examination usually reveals them to be crap. I mean $20-$25,000 cars, and they were patched-together junk. Better he should spend $30,000 and know it's solid.

Naturally, if his plan was to just pay someone to do it for him, the price will rise dramatically.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Could have sworn I read your posting to say you would start with a 1969 or 70 Boss 302 or Mach I and build a modified...

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not sure of your budget, but check this out (not mine), maybe a good starting point for you as clearly it still needs some work MustangOnlyOne - Classic Mustangs for sale
Good luck
scuf23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
Problem is, a well-done 69-70 is gonna cost him what I quoted anyway. I have seen a bunch of completed, "reasonally priced" Mustangs, and close examination usually reveals them to be crap. I mean $20-$25,000 cars, and they were patched-together junk. Better he should spend $30,000 and know it's solid.

Naturally, if his plan was to just pay someone to do it for him, the price will rise dramatically.

Very true... I would much rather KNOW what I've got than paying that kinda money and finding out I don't have what I thought. I run into the same thing on my car. Shoddy workmanship and hack repairs... luckily, I didn't give 10% of that figure.
Bill

My website and blog

67 fastback on jackstands... slowly getting a new lease on life.
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...1340563218.jpg
billywatson1205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
Could have sworn I read your posting to say you would start with a 1969 or 70 Boss 302 or Mach I and build a modified...
Yeah, I glossed over that, reality would kill that plan real fast. A rotten BOSS 302 that needs one of everything would cost ten grand.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

I know where a 69 or 70 Nascar 429 is... rusting to nothing and the guy won't sell it. I heard he was offered 100k for it and turned it down. Now truth is this is only hearsay, but I have seen the car.
Bill

My website and blog

Old 04-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
I won a special award

You're probably talking $50,000+ to have someone build what you want. And that would be building your car from a plain jane Sportsroof. I don't think you want to even think about what it will cost you to start with a real Boss car.

My car has just the seats and dash for an interior, new 550hp stroker 351w engine, Tremec 5 speed, new high performance rear end, and all new suspension with some high performance parts. With my car needing the have the rear quarters replaced, repaint, and lots of misc small parts, there is probably $30,000 invested into my car at this point. Luckily I bought it for a fraction of that price from the previous owner as an unfinished project. I'll probably have to spend another $10,000+ to finish my car. That is with me doing all the work except for the machining on the engine. Just to give you an idea of what this is going to cost you.
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2010, 03:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

thanks for the info folks.... i really appreciate it! alot!

thats exactly what i was thinking but neglected to mention.... it would be a boss 302 CLONE.... not a real one... real one would be unfortunately way out of my financial capability.

Just to give you guys a budgetary number.... it would be around 30-35k for this project.

Unfortunately it sounds like what I wanted to do is out of my range sadly. oh well. But this wont stop me from pursuing a project of some sort on a classic.

As for the part of getting shops to do my work, well, the answer to that is complex. See im a younger guy that really has no background of working on cars from when i was a kid. My only real experience of working on cars is that of the last three years working on modding my 06 Mustang GT. That being said im pretty confident with my abilities and am willing to learn and be patient, but, i have no experience with older cars..... so i dont know what to expect either. I would like to buy my own tools and do as much as i can do on my own but some things i know will just be beyond my capabilities. For the mechanical shop work that i may need.... Im in bit of luck... i have built up a pretty good friendship with a shop and a mechanic that restores cars and essentially charges me a dirt cheap hourly rate for his work.

all of that said, do some of you guys have some input for a mustang project that would fall in that 30k range that i could learn and enjoy doing over the next few years?

I really wanna restore/build a car myself(as much as possible) for the sake of enjoyment and learning and do not want to just buy one already done. This also gives me the peace of mind when the car is done in knowing what I "really have".

How about a 1965 shelby 350 clone? like the one at this link:
65' Mustang on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

it sure would like nice sitting beside my current ride, eh?:

Old 04-04-2010, 05:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStar86 View Post
Unfortunately it sounds like what I wanted to do is out of my range sadly. oh well. But this wont stop me from pursuing a project of some sort on a classic.

As for the part of getting shops to do my work, well, the answer to that is complex. See im a younger guy that really has no background of working on cars from when i was a kid. My only real experience of working on cars is that of the last three years working on modding my 06 Mustang GT. That being said im pretty confident with my abilities and am willing to learn and be patient, but, i have no experience with older cars..... so i dont know what to expect either. I would like to buy my own tools and do as much as i can do on my own but some things i know will just be beyond my capabilities. For the mechanical shop work that i may need.... Im in bit of luck... i have built up a pretty good friendship with a shop and a mechanic that restores cars and essentially charges me a dirt cheap hourly rate for his work.

all of that said, do some of you guys have some input for a mustang project that would fall in that 30k range that i could learn and enjoy doing over the next few years?

I really wanna restore/build a car myself(as much as possible) for the sake of enjoyment and learning and do not want to just buy one already done. This also gives me the peace of mind when the car is done in knowing what I "really have".
Actually, If you're willing to do the wrench work, these cars are, in most ways, much easier than late models.

The #1 cost by far is repairing rust. Having just a rotten cowl replaced will cost about as much as the engine rebuild.

If you start out with a solid car (by being very careful with a used purchase, or with a Dynacorn body) you'll be way ahead. It takes a lot of years, special equipment and patience to weld a rust-bucket back together. On a solid car, it mostly just takes patience.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

But the skills that you learn on a rust bucket are invaluable IMO. If your not timid and do your research when in doubt.
Bill

My website and blog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.