VIN locations? (1965) - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default VIN locations? (1965)

Ok I have 2 '65s that are I6/3sp manual cars. One has a title and one doesn't.

(bought the car for $500, he said to come back for the title, when I did he said he wanted another $1000 for it I just wanted the rusty car with no motor/trany for parts so I walked away)

After tearing into both cars the body of the one without the title looks to be in better condition. I need to swap the part that has the VIN next to the fender on the title less car and can do the one on the dash. Any other places?

I would have about 1/3 of the tittled car cut and welded on to the car with no tittle. Fortunately the parts on one car that are bad are good on the other so really its like taking the best of the 2 and making one.
JoeKramer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

I believe that would be illegal
Old 04-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

cut out the middleman with your questions & go straight to the FBI. They will be happy to answer all your questions & as an added bonus will provide a roof over your head for the next 2 to 5 years.

Z.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

So if I keep 2/3rd of the titled car then it would be legal?
Old 04-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

You would be better off if you just got the title for the car. All other options are illegal.
Mel_llama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Na. I will just cut off what I need off the car with no title. As its not stolen its not illegal.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

That's just it- without the title, you don't know that it wasn't stolen. Heck, the previous owner could have called and reported it stolen when you turned him down...
datac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Don't forget...whoever has the title is the owner in the laws eyes. So, that guy could just wait for you to fix it up, and take it back! I would get the title. If the 1000 is too much, then tell him to take his care back, and give you the money back.
Mel_llama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member

back in the 70's my dad dought a 65 convert from 2 of my friends who went in together and bought it for $25.00 , yes $25.00 for the shell. they got a bill of sale as the car had never ben titled and was not a requirement on cars in the 60's in the state of missippi at that time. most of my mustangs were never titled back then. my dad took the convert shell and completely restored it with xtra 65-66 mustang parts. after spendin a year or 2 to complete he went to get a tag only to find out that the car had ben stolen. after the police investigating my 2 friends , my dad , and the guy my 2 friends bought it from my dad and my friends were cleared of criminal activity. HOWEVER the car was returned to the LEGAL owner but the legal owner decided he didnt want it and offered to sell it to my dad for a few hundred dollars, i dont remember the exact amount. ALWAYS do a vin search before buying a car. if someone steals my cars and they are recovered i SHALL have them returned to me and if someone bought it , it will be their loss. heres a pic of the 65 yellow con-vert !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg convert...jpg (18.3 KB, 20 views)
supershifter2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKramer View Post
As its not stolen its not illegal.
I see. Can you site the actual law that allows you to swap the VIN? One has nothing to do with the other.

John
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ngdriveway.jpg
a two legged hole shot, even with a munged up carb and snow tires...
John_Del is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to crzycrkr

Swapping VINs is federally illegal. No ifs, ands, or buts.
crzycrkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

you need to go to your local DMV and start asking

there is a right way to do this because technically you are restoring the titled vehicle with a parts car. I believe you would have to start with "Junking" the clean car's title which can be done as well.

I forget all the specifics....go ask questions at the local offices. theres a documented way to do this iirc.

heres one person's experience

Quote:
I just made a call to the local NC Dept. of Motor Vehicles just out of curiousity.

I asked what would be the scenario for replacing a dash in a car under restoration.
I left the assumption that nothing had been done at this point. I told him that we had a car with a clean title, all paperwork was in order and the serial numbers matched.
I told him that we had a parts car-clear also but in disrepair, and that we intended to replace the dash in the project car with the dash from the parts car.

He stated: 'A local DMV Inspector must verify the matching VIN's. He stated that in all likelihood they would issue a new North Carolina issued serial number that will take the place of the VIN on the dash of the project car and that it would also be added to a tag that would be attached to your door. Your original VIN from your project car would become a secondary identification number added to your title. He also added that at the DMV inspectors discretion he could also require that 'REBUILT' be added to the title. I asked what would he have to see to add that. He stated that people are supposed to add that to title when they do a motor/engine swap or replace/rebuild the car after accidents. Thus a 'Salvage' type of title.

I asked what would happen if we just move the VIN to the dash from the project car. He reminded me that 'tampering with a VIN in any manner is a felony'.

Previous Mustangs:
2003 Mach 1, S/C
2003 Mach 1, n/a
1965 Fastback
65fastback2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

for everyone just rattling off its illegal...there is a right way to do it

but also note, changing a motor or trans that is tied to a vehicles vin is "illegal" also, but thats been done millions of times

Quote:
Is stamping or removing a VIN on an engine block or other part illegal?

It might be, according to this case:

The court held in Greenway v. State, 8 Md. App. 194, 259 A.2d 89 (1969), that there was sufficient evidence to sustain an automobile repairman's conviction, under Md. Ann. Code art. 66 1/2, 73 (1957), of possessing a vehicle knowing the engine VIN had been defaced for the purpose of concealing or misrepresenting the identity of the vehicle. While the evidence clearly showed that the repairman had in his possession a vehicle containing an engine which he admitted had been removed from another vehicle and whose VIN had been covered by a bead of weld, it was not shown that he ever had direct contact with the engine, either in purchasing it, receiving it after it was purchased, or removing it from one car and installing it in the other. Nevertheless, the court recognized that the repairman admitted he knew the provisions of the statute and therefore the court held that he deliberately "shut his eyes" so he would not have knowledge that the VIN on the engine in his possession had been defaced. The court noted that the engine was easily accessible to him while in his possession and it was immaterial, in the face of the statute, that engine numbers may not be required on certificates of title and that the statute does not provide specifically that failure to make a reasonable inspection means knowledge. He thus acted at his peril, concluded the court, and could be deemed as having "knowledge" of the fact that the engine VIN was defaced.

Previous Mustangs:
2003 Mach 1, S/C
2003 Mach 1, n/a
1965 Fastback
65fastback2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to crzycrkr

There are ways to replace a lot of parts on a car while keeping the VIN, but not cutting one VIN off a wrecked car to transplant it onto a better car. If the main problem here is a title for the better car, why not apply for one at the DMV? That seems to be the much safer, legal way.
crzycrkr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Member

cutting the vin of a car you got the title to and putting it on a car you aint got the title or bill of sale to constitutes theft ! and putting the vin from an "A" or "K" on a "C" is fraud. even putting a "C" vin on and "A" or "K" is fraud and thats just all tripped out like a circut breaker especially the MAIN breaker i'm a sew tripped owt i'm a shakin !

Last edited by supershifter2; 04-14-2010 at 11:15 PM.
supershifter2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.