Type-F ATF Equivalent or Replacement??? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Type-F ATF Equivalent or Replacement???

I need to fill my cars Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Fluids, I went all around the auto parts shops in my country to look for Type-F but with no luck.

I recently purchased a 1966 Mustang 289 C-code with Automatic trans and power steering, from the US and had it shipped abroad to my country and I realized I will not Find Type-F as older ford cars are not common so demand for Type-F is not required.

My question is is there an equivalent to that which I can buy and fill my car with as a permanent switch?

If not then is there another power steering fluid I can use till I sort this out. I need to drive the car for approximately 6 trips of 30mins each So if I can fill the power steering with a different type/grade fluid temporary and flush it when I get the Type-F

If there is not permanent replacement I will need to order some Type-F ATF from the US and have it shipped to my country. (if some one can help me out with this if this is the last resort that would be helpful)

BTW either way I need to fill my power steering fluid,, so I need an alternative as the reservoir is empty, for the auto transmission I can wait a while but not for the power steering.
199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010, 07:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Here we have a Universal P/S fluid that works fine, and many manufactures make Type F, Exxon, Mobil, Havoline etc, and I believe Mercon H replaces Type F.
Try calling Auto Parts Stores they might have a replacement listed under another name. Ford Type F is used by Austin-Morris, Diahatsu, Jaguar, Mazda, Rover, Saab, Toyota, and John Deere hydrostatic systems.
Hope this helps. Vern
vernslie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

The best (in my opinion) is Redline racing atf. It meets Type F specs and is some tough fluid. Expensive tho. You can EASILY run it 50K miles with no problem. I run an external filter and an extra capacity alum. pan. John--Las Vegas.
juan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 199 View Post
I need to fill my cars Automatic Transmission and Power Steering Fluids, I went all around the auto parts shops in my country to look for Type-F but with no luck.

I recently purchased a 1966 Mustang 289 C-code with Automatic trans and power steering, from the US and had it shipped abroad to my country and I realized I will not Find Type-F as older ford cars are not common so demand for Type-F is not required.

My question is is there an equivalent to that which I can buy and fill my car with as a permanent switch?

If not then is there another power steering fluid I can use till I sort this out. I need to drive the car for approximately 6 trips of 30mins each So if I can fill the power steering with a different type/grade fluid temporary and flush it when I get the Type-F

If there is not permanent replacement I will need to order some Type-F ATF from the US and have it shipped to my country. (if some one can help me out with this if this is the last resort that would be helpful)

BTW either way I need to fill my power steering fluid,, so I need an alternative as the reservoir is empty, for the auto transmission I can wait a while but not for the power steering.
Hi,
First, complete your profile with your location. It might help us help you better if we know your town and state. NAPA carries type F.
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, MD
kenash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenash View Post
Hi,
First, complete your profile with your location. It might help us help you better if we know your town and state. NAPA carries type F.
Im not in the states im in Bahrain its a small island in the middle east. I tried alot of auto shops and they dont carry Type-F its not common to see Ford cars older than the 90s in Bahrain, so there is no demand for it.

What if I use Motorcraft Type-M for the power steering

http://1966mustang.files.wordpress.c...forum-sig1.jpg
Check out my blog - My 1966 Mustang
Old 04-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 199 View Post
Im not in the states im in Bahrain its a small island in the middle east. I tried alot of auto shops and they dont carry Type-F its not common to see Ford cars older than the 90s in Bahrain, so there is no demand for it.

What if I use Motorcraft Type-M for the power steering

Bahrain, eh?

Perhaps, someone else will chime in, I'm not familiar with Type M. However, I have used the "universal" type pwr steering fluid. If you were a little closer, I'd ship you a couple quarts of Type F, I have left over from when I was running a C4.
Good Luck in your quest! ...don't be shy, add the "Bahrain" location.
Severna Park, MD
Old 04-17-2010, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

You can use Ford Mercon III or Mercon V. I have used them for several years now with no ill effects. Ford has also approved them for use. What I would NOT use is a 'universal' PS fluid. I am a 34 year Ford tech.
1967 Shelby GT350 #3014 Concours Gold MCA and SAAC
1965 K code Fastback owned since 1977- MCA Concours Gold
1966 6-cyl. Sprint Convertible owned since 1978
1966 C-code auto Convertible restored 2008. Exercised regularly in season!
1965 C-code auto Convertible resto in progress....
All owner-restored in my garage, never trailered.
MCA #68134 1964 1/2-66 Concours Judge
ajd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajd350 View Post
You can use Ford Mercon III or Mercon V. I have used them for several years now with no ill effects. Ford has also approved them for use. What I would NOT use is a 'universal' PS fluid. I am a 34 year Ford tech.
Hey Ford tech,

Thanks for the advisement!
Severna Park, MD
Old 04-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajd350 View Post
Can I use those for both the power steering and auto trans? or just the ps

Old 04-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

I went ahead with Mercon V from motorcraft for the Power Steering, Im just wondering whats the worse that could happen with the power steering with wrong fluid?

as for the transmission I waiting to know what the person who rebuild it used after the rebuild and I found a lead thanks to a fellow mustanger from france, he pointed out
Total ATF 33.

So I went to Totals Agent in my country and they do not stock it but the guy in charge said he might be able to order it for me and he will get back to me.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

For Mercon V, most vendors licensing the name are not recommending its use in transmissions specifying Type F.

Castrol USA - MERCON V

Valvoline.com > Products > Automatic Transmission Products > Automatic Transmission Fluid > Valvoline MERCON® V ATF

http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/s..._ID=3578&DID=6

Not sure why, maybe a CYA, just a heads up as I found this info when looking into the subject a while back...

8R03S : 76A I 2A 15M 72 5 U
8R01S : 65A B 2A 28M 72 7 5 - Factory GT
8R01C : 65A M 2A 01E 72 2 W - CS/GT
8F01X : 65A I 2G 20E 24 1 U - EXP500 to-be

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...pr_07_tiny.jpg
dalorzof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Over the years each time there was a new fluid we were told not to use it in the older cars. Stories of failing friction materials were the most common reason. I'm thinking CYA was the reason because they never had a reason to test the new formula in an older system. Always move forward. My '66 C-4 6-cyl. has never been apart and has been running Mercon III for at least 18 years with NO problems. The other '66 has been running
Mercon V in the trans and PS for over a year. All is well. If anyone is not comfortable with that, then by all means hunt down the type F. I just haven't seen a reason to anymore.
1967 Shelby GT350 #3014 Concours Gold MCA and SAAC
1965 K code Fastback owned since 1977- MCA Concours Gold
1966 6-cyl. Sprint Convertible owned since 1978
1966 C-code auto Convertible restored 2008. Exercised regularly in season!
1965 C-code auto Convertible resto in progress....
All owner-restored in my garage, never trailered.
MCA #68134 1964 1/2-66 Concours Judge
ajd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.