64 1\2 Fastback? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 64 1\2 Fastback?

I recently read an article that said production year 1965 models started in March of 65, and anything before that was considered 64 1\2. The date code on mine reads Feb. 26, making it a 64 1\2 if I'm correct. Any help? I'm learning more about Mustangs as time goes by as this is my first vintage Mustang.
Thanks, Chris
Chevelleguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

There is a lot of information on this is you search.

General Points: Ford never called anything a 64 1/2, as all vehicles were titled as 1965 models. The "arbitrary" hobby cut off is the traditional plant shut down in August (1964) which, coincidentally, was the change over from generator to alternator, from 5 bolt to 6 bolt engines (D and F gone, C and A in there place), but it is NOT 100% all changes made on 1 day.

Fastbacks are 65 models. Your date code corresponds to Feb 1965, a solid "1965" model, not a 1964 1/2 model. Post the first few numbers of the VIN if you want confirmation from the board, ie, 5F09C321xxx

Bob
Mustangerbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

If the article said 1965, it was probably a misprint as Mustang production started in March 1964 not 1965.
6T6mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

im having pretty much same issue, where i have a 65 fastback built in september 15, of 1964. is this the same thing or different?
bigrob64.5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

As mentioned above, all '64.5 Mustangs were built and sold as '65s, with pre-August 1964 shutdown, generator-equipped cars informally considered 64.5s in retrospect. Your fastback is a '65. There were no '64.5 fastbacks built.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Factory ordered my "64 1/2" vert (see sig pic) in early May 64. It was well known that a fastback (it was called a 2+2 when introduced) was rumored and would come later in the timeframe of normal new model introduction.

New model year cars have been introduced for as long as I can remember. Typically in the September time frame. In the 50s I lived in Indianapolis. The new model cars would typically be stored in fairground buildings before formal introduction. We used to ride our bikes to the fairgrounds and peek in the windows to sneak a peek at the new models.

To this day, it amazes me when an old car fan looks at the production date of their whatsit and thinks for example they have a rare 74 Granada. The door sticker says Sept 1974, must be a 74!

New car models are often brought out early to get a head start on the introduction. The 70 Maverick was introduced in April 1969. It was billed as the first 70s car at 60s prices.
By the way there are no "69 1/2" Mavericks!

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
New car models are often brought out early to get a head start on the introduction. The 70 Maverick was introduced in April 1969. It was billed as the first 70s car at 60s prices.
By the way there are no "69 1/2" Mavericks!

Slim
Hmmmm.... maybe they were titled as 70 Mavericks, I can't remember, but my wife's first car was a called a 69 Maverick by the Ford dealer, and by the parts guys, every time we went to get parts at the Ford dealer.. It had the ignition on the dash, instead of the steering column, as well as other trim differences.
This from a Maverick forum:
Maverick & Comet Year to Year Timeline
April 17, 1969. Maverick introduced to the world.
New "Maverick" colors added, such as "Thanks Vermillion."
Suspension upgraded, bigger brakes & spindles.
Ignition moves from dash to column.

Early 1970 Mavericks, aka 69.5 Mavericks, were based on the 69 Ford Falcon. They used Falcon spindles, axles, and brakes. This proved to be very light-duty, and after dealers had problems aligning the early Mavericks, the suspension was redesigned and "beefed up" for the rest of 1970 and beyond.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD View Post
Hmmmm.... maybe they were titled as 70 Mavericks, I can't remember, but my wife's first car was a called a 69 Maverick by the Ford dealer, and by the parts guys, every time we went to get parts at the Ford dealer.. It had the ignition on the dash, instead of the steering column, as well as other trim differences.
This from a Maverick forum:
Maverick & Comet Year to Year Timeline
April 17, 1969. Maverick introduced to the world.
New "Maverick" colors added, such as "Thanks Vermillion."
Suspension upgraded, bigger brakes & spindles.
Ignition moves from dash to column.

Early 1970 Mavericks, aka 69.5 Mavericks, were based on the 69 Ford Falcon. They used Falcon spindles, axles, and brakes. This proved to be very light-duty, and after dealers had problems aligning the early Mavericks, the suspension was redesigned and "beefed up" for the rest of 1970 and beyond.
Yup I had a 70 Mav, it was a beauty. The Ford dealer called my so called 64 1/2 Mustang a 64. The model year is determined by the VIN. No Mustang VINs start with 4. Mavs didn't start with a 9. The first ones started with 0.

Oh by the way. I fully understand what you say. The dealer I ordered my "64 1/2" vert from called it a 64. I filled out the registration of the car year 64. I still have that first registation it says 64. Back then the DMV wasn't connected by computer to the car makers. They filled out the title/registration how it was written in.

Slim
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
Yup I had a 70 Mav, it was a beauty. The Ford dealer called my so called 64 1/2 Mustang a 64. The model year is determined by the VIN. No Mustang VINs start with 4. Mavs didn't start with a 9. The first ones started with 0.

Oh by the way. I fully understand what you say. The dealer I ordered my "64 1/2" vert from called it a 64. I filled out the registration of the car year 64. I still have that first registation it says 64. Back then the DMV wasn't connected by computer to the car makers. They filled out the title/registration how it was written in.

Slim
so your saying that there were no true 1964 mustangs, if so that would explain the overhanging confusion on the topic. ive heard old man over old man argue over the subject of the 64.5 and how to define it. mine isnt a spectacular array of parts, sports the 289goldtop motor and 4barrel carb, a cruiseomatic trans. the body is straight and the numbers match tip to tail, on a late 1964 sell date. id see anyone with something close to that to have a rare horse these days.

and btw these convertibles are beautiful.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

The Fastback "2+2" was introduced to the pubic September 25 1964. Fastbacks should not have been sold before then. Were any sold before then?, Id really love to see a invoice.

Kevin
1965 Fastback-Scat 331, Dart heads, FPA headers, Air Gap intake, 650 Ultra DP, Cobra pan, Lunati VooDoo cam 61003, C-4, 10 inch converter, Reverse manual valve body,Detroit Truetracw/3.50s, subframe connectors.
1968 S-code Torino Fastback= project
1966 A-code Mustang coupe=Basket case not sure what to do with it used some parts for the fastback.
65since88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65since88 View Post
The Fastback "2+2" was introduced to the pubic September 25 1964. Fastbacks should not have been sold before then. Were any sold before then?, Id really love to see a invoice.
hmmm i have the invoice gotta track it down, but the handbook is signed with its information from the transaction, so its the "registered owner plan, and is dated 10-30 64. ive never noticed that detail before, grandfathers signature and the dealership and dealers name. kinda cool to have, so it was made the 15th and sold about a month later right off the showroom floor. he said the only reason he bought it is because his friend at the dealership said hed give him a deal on the only one they had and let him skip the waiting list.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Correct, there were no true 1964 Mustangs (or 1964.5, for that matter). They were all sold as 1965s and VIN'ed as 1965s.

As described above, early 1965 cars do have some differences from later cars which years later led collectors to label them as 1964.5, something that Ford never did. Those differences disappeared at various times during the first few months' production, with the most noticeable (generators and F, D, and U engine codes) changing over after late August 1964. Late August is traditionally the time when the plants switch over to the next years' production. Fastbacks were not produced until production restarted in September.

Last edited by datac; 10-01-2012 at 08:08 PM.
datac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrob64.5 View Post
im having pretty much same issue, where i have a 65 fastback built in september 15, of 1964. is this the same thing or different?
My fastback was built Sept 14, 1964. It's a '65 not a 64.5. 64.5 cars where built prior to Aug ?, 1964 and have very specific differences (hood, generator, horns, etc.. many)

Congrats on a very early fastback though!

1965 A-Code Fastback
Built, September 14, 1964 (San Jose)
Viper red, White/red interior
TCP R&P, G Bar rear 4 link/w shockwaves
Global West Upper/Lower/Strut Rods
Ride-Tech Air ride
4 wheel Cobra disc brakes/Hydroboost
363 Stroker/Paxton Supercharger
Mass-Flo EFI
Owned since 1983
DrStang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStang View Post
My fastback was built Sept 14, 1964. It's a '65 not a 64.5. 64.5 cars where built prior to Aug ?, 1964 and have very specific differences (hood, generator, horns, etc.. many)

Congrats on a very early fastback though!
thanks sir, i just took her for some go juice and a milkshake.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thumbup 64 vs 65

The Mustang Recognition Guide sets Aug. 15 (Friday) as the last of 64 production. As was stated, there were a lot of running changes just prior to that date, so there are no set specifcally different cars from Fri to Sat. Mine is Aug 13th, has the ALT, "C" code, all the 64 sheet metal, heater switch, etc., like 64's but wiring is 65. Can be fun when you're trying to find parts!
69 GT Convertible- 90,000 miles
08 Coupe
08 P-71 Police Intercepter
200 F-250 Lariat, 2010 F-250 King Ranch
PonyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.