C4 shifter pictures? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default C4 shifter pictures?

Hi - I'm working on the C4 auto shifter and linkage on my 66 convertible. I want to make sure the shifter is in the correct position (it is pointing up now). If anyone has pictures I would appreciate it!!

Also, the kickdown lever which goes over the neutral safety switch seems like it also must point in the up position to rotate the inner shaft when the cable is pulled. However, when I try to put it on in this position, it interferes with the shifter movement. Any suggestions or pictures please?

66 Convertible, 302 / AOD
dfrome66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Start with this:

http://www.ford6v.com/images/65-66mustaccellink[1].jpg
Old 05-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

22GT - Thanks for the link. It shows the kickdown linkage and the throttle but how about the shifter linkage. The 66 Ford manual I have shows the selector shaft attaching to the shifter with it positioned at the bottom. I'm wondering if mine is somehow installed upside down??

Thanks!!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well I just replaced the plastic bushings in my shifter to get rid of the slop. With the lever disconnected from the tranny, move the linkage on the tranny to the park position. You can verify by attempting to turn the drive shaft by hand until it does not turn. Then make sure the shifter points to the park position and bolt it to the linkage. There's a detent in the shifter bracket that the little tab on the bottom of the shifter slides on.

Here's a picture of how mine is (66 289 with a C4). I could not get a good picture of it because the exhaust and E-brake bracket were in the way, but hopefully this gives you an idea...

I'm in Tracy by the way so we're practically neighbors. Check out www.ca-mustangs.com when you get the chance...

050710 017.jpg
050710 016.jpg

Last edited by Boat66; 05-13-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Boat66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hey Boat66 - Yeah, Tracy isn't too far. May have to check out your car one day.
The pictures help! I need to try to do the adjustment with the car in park. The Ford manual I have says to adjust it in D1 (green dot) position. Anyway, if you can get a picture of the other end of this linkage that would be great! I need to see if the shifter on the side of the transmission is correct and how the kick down attaches.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrome66 View Post
The 66 Ford manual I have shows the selector shaft attaching to the shifter with it positioned at the bottom.
Yeah, that would be normal on a column shift, which the Mustang doesn't have.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrome66 View Post
Hey Boat66 - Yeah, Tracy isn't too far. May have to check out your car one day.
The pictures help! I need to try to do the adjustment with the car in park. The Ford manual I have says to adjust it in D1 (green dot) position. Anyway, if you can get a picture of the other end of this linkage that would be great! I need to see if the shifter on the side of the transmission is correct and how the kick down attaches.
Here's the other end. The linkage that's attached to the shifter goes to the upper part of the tranny into a hole in the shift selector and is held in by a cotter pin.

This is how my car was when I got it. I don't know why the previous owner put that ziptie there, but I just left it. I also wondered what that other little lever below it is for (with the bolt) but never got around to it. The tranny was not shifting into 3rd when I got it. I found out the modulator hose had come off the vacuum line. Also it would not go into park or start in park. I took apart the shifter and replaced the bushings and saw that the push button mechanism was not installed correctly. Now it shifts great and there's zero slop in the shifter...

031310 006.jpg
Boat66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Boat66 - Thanks for the picture! This is the setup I needed. I have all the parts so now I need to make them all fit! Take it easy!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.