Power to manual steering conversion? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Power to manual steering conversion?

I have a 66 mustang 289 with power steering and want to convert to manual steering. I have googled this topic and getting mixed reviews with what's needed for the conversion. Anyone with experience, can I do the conversion by just swapping out to a manual center link? If so, does anyone have instructions on how to do this.
Mustang_66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can change to manual center link and outer tie rod end and idler. Or I have seen kits to replace the control valve and keep everything else. If you have an original 5 turn box you should be OK.
dencoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do I need the outer tie rod end and idler to complete the swap? I was under the impression of maybe this is all of what I needed.

http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/pr...3&cat=0&page=1
Mustang_66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 12:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

First, if you leave the existing steering gear box in place, the car will be "harder" to turn the wheel. As long as you are OK with that, then there is no issue. The power box is a 4 to 1, and the non power is a 5 to one.

The right side inner and outer tie rods remain the same. The center link, and the inner and outer left side need to be changed, and the sleeve. If you get picky, the idler arm bushing needs to be changed also.

Here are the parts you need:

Tie Rod Sleeve: C2AA-3310-A (same as the right side)
Inner Tie Rod: C5ZZ-3a131D (same as the right side)
Outer Tie Rod: C5ZZ-3a130D (same as the right side)
Center Link: C5ZZ-3304-D

If you want to clean up your engine pit, you can remove the double groove crank and water pump pulleys, and replace them with singles, remove the power steering ram bracket that attaches to the frame, and the hose bracket that attaches to the lower control arm.

You can also make some money by selling the parts you take off. Send me a PM if you want some realistic prices on the take off stuff.

Bob
Mustangerbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_66 View Post
I have a 66 mustang 289 with power steering and want to convert to manual steering. I have googled this topic and getting mixed reviews with what's needed for the conversion. Anyone with experience, can I do the conversion by just swapping out to a manual center link? If so, does anyone have instructions on how to do this.
You can change to Factory V8 Manual steering by changing the centerlink as you have already noted.

The need to change the Drivers side tie rods is not necessary a have to as the PS drivers side will bolt on the Manual centerlink, Just realign after installing manual centerlink.

Doing it right, install Drivers side!

Idlers are same, Manual, or PS.

The present 4 turn "PS" box will be a hard steer situation as others have stated. 5 turn manual steering box will steer easier.

I'd be interested in trading

Dan @

Chockostang
CHOCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

As I recall, which could be wrong, the manual Shelby box was a power steering box with a different preload. May have also had a different arm too.

As pointed out the PS box has a higher rate so it take some more arm to swing.

Just sometin to keep in mind depending on what you are going for. I know for day to day driving I would go with power.
kevlarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOCK View Post
You can change to Factory V8 Manual steering by changing the centerlink as you have already noted.

The need to change the Drivers side tie rods is not necessary a have to as the PS drivers side will bolt on the Manual centerlink, Just realign after installing manual centerlink.

Doing it right, install Drivers side!

Idlers are same, Manual, or PS.

The present 4 turn "PS" box will be a hard steer situation as others have stated. 5 turn manual steering box will steer easier.

I'd be interested in trading
Disclosure- My 66 has 4-turn manual steering.

That said, if you want remove this desirable option, by all means sell the PS bits to Chock. He'll find someone who wants them. Who knows, in a few years maybe you'll be buying them back from him. PS was rare when these cars were new, with narrow bias-ply non belted tires. Now, though, most of us are using wide steel radials, and the steering is a lot stiffer.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
by all means sell the PS bits to Chock
I disagree! Sell the "bits" to ME!!
bryancobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

As stated the swap is pretty straight foward. Personally most of my cars are manual steering but they all run the power steering box as it is the same as the G.T.'s, Shelbies, and Special Handling package cars. The only difference is the tag# HCC AX = G.T.ETC. ,HCC AW = power steering. If you have one of these boxes you should keep it.
EastCoastClassic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastClassic View Post
As stated the swap is pretty straight foward. Personally most of my cars are manual steering but they all run the power steering box as it is the same as the G.T.'s, Shelbies, and Special Handling package cars. The only difference is the tag# HCC AX = G.T.ETC. ,HCC AW = power steering. If you have one of these boxes you should keep it.

My 64 1/2 vert (sig pic) had the handling package manual steering and 4 speed. Loved it!
Hey I was 24 and very active in most sports. My toy back then was my 37 Ford which had mechanical (non hydraulic) brakes!

I hasten to add that today there's no way I could drive either of them except at speed!!

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
I hasten to add that today there's no way I could drive either of them except at speed!!
I hear ya. That's why I warned Mustang_66.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.