How Do You Install Rear Qtr. Ornaments on a '66 Convertible? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How Do You Install Rear Qtr. Ornaments on a '66 Convertible?

I understand you have to remove the seat (bottom as well as back?) and the side armrest interior panels. How are all of these attached? Also, someone mentioned you may also have to remove the rear quarter window assembly. Is this really necessary? Any tips of suggestions? I am trying to decide if I (the relative novice) can do this, or should I just pay someone. Hint: I tend to break two things for every one I fix...

BB
pekoe1111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yes the entire back seat must be removed in order the remove the inside quarter trim panels. So far the job is a little more difficult than making a cup of instant coffee!

Now theoretically you can get in there and put the speed nuts on the ornaments. I don't recall what is used on the 66. The 68 uses speed nuts.

Messing with the quarter windows is a whole different experience. It's not rocket science but helps if you're handy! Once you mess with them aligning to the top and the door window takes patience and several adjustments that aren't obvious at first.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Speed nuts - yeah, I could use those...I think. The '66 has the three spears, each with it's own nut, I believe.

Am I correct that the seat bottom can be removed by pulling up, releasing clips? What about seat back and side quarter trim? Is it held on by clips or screws?

Last edited by pekoe1111; 05-24-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

You pull up on the seat cushion and it pops loose! Now you will see two loops at the bottom of the seat back. These should each have large hex head sheet metal scews(look like bolts). Remove them. Now the seat back wire frame is hooked at the top with a big hook formed in the body, it's hidden and sometimes very tight. You may need to use a 1x2 and a block at the bottom to pursuade it loose (mine is that tight).

Now the quarter trim panels are completely exposed. First there's welting (a formed push on edge at the door opening, should be same color as the quarter trim. At the bottom the trim welt goes under the door scuff plate (the bright aluminum thresh hold). So you need to remove the thresh hold/scuff plate. Now pull that welting strip off.

Remove the window crank(s). There should be a small allen screw from the side of the crank. Now if I recall correctly there's a phillips screw below the crank. Another phillips screw at the bottom of the trim near the end of the scuff plate. There should be a phillips screw near the bottom and near the top of the (removed) seat back. I think there's another phillips screw in the opening for the folding top frame.

Now the trim panel should be free. The sill (like window sill) hooks over at the top. You may have to either roll the quarter window way down or part down.

Now look inside with a flashlight or trouble light. You will be able to see what you're into. Like I said the previous is piece of cake.

I suggest you get a shop manual or some of the Osborn manuals. They are a big help.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for those details. Still to be determined: Do you need long skinny arms, a mirror, needle-nose pliers and a coat hanger to put those nuts (bolts?) on?

Also, how do you know exactly where to drill holes, since the backside of the ornaments only have holes into which the bolts/screws go? Is there a template or trick like putting a pencil in each hole to mark the spot?
Old 05-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Any 66, except GT, should have already had the Holes for the Ornament. They might have been filled by previous body work, but once you are in there, you should already have a Template. It is very hard to work around the Large, Plate-Style Guide Track for the Quarter Windows, but I believe they have access holes for this. The Easiest way is when these are removed, but you might be able to get them on without removal.
MagMustangs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Do replacement quarter panels have them? Mine look they they have been replaced and have no holes.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekoe1111 View Post
Do replacement quarter panels have them? Mine look they they have been replaced and have no holes.

On 64 1/2-66 there was an accent option that deleted the chrome goo gaw (see my sig pic). Because you could get those years without the chrome IMO they left the holes off replacement quarter panels. As a wild guess some of the parts suppliers probably can provide a template for the holes.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

The Caspian Blue Car? I have seen 64 1/2-65 without the Vertical Bars, but never a 66 missing the Fingers, unless GT, which did not have the Quarter Trim for 65-66. Just what I have seen, not sure what is correct.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMustangs View Post
The Caspian Blue Car? I have seen 64 1/2-65 without the Vertical Bars, but never a 66 missing the Fingers, unless GT, which did not have the Quarter Trim for 65-66. Just what I have seen, not sure what is correct.

Keep an eye out. It was fairly popular on 64 1/2, 65 and 66 models! You got the pin stripe if you left the chrome off!

The Caspian blue (read the sez) is 64 1/2. The Lime gold is 68. In the case of the 68 I left the chrome off and the rocker molding because I've always thought a nice looking car is screwed up by gee gaws!

I ordered the 64 1/2 with the pin stripe to get rid of the chrome scoop deco.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well, if you ordered that car, then I wouldn't argue with you. I was questioning the 66 Model Year, but if you have been into Mustangs that long, then I take your word for it. My father purchased his 64 1/2 260 Fastback, Almost New, and it didn't have Chrome. We have had quite a few Early cars with None, but I have never seen the 66 without, maybe it was a little rarer. Your 68 does look Good without as well. Great to get the info
Old 05-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMustangs View Post
Well, if you ordered that car, then I wouldn't argue with you. I was questioning the 66 Model Year, but if you have been into Mustangs that long, then I take your word for it. My father purchased his 64 1/2 260 Fastback, Almost New, and it didn't have Chrome. We have had quite a few Early cars with None, but I have never seen the 66 without, maybe it was a little rarer. Your 68 does look Good without as well. Great to get the info

Wow! Your dad had a really early fastback! The 260 (F code) was eliminated as was the D code (of my 64 1/2) and replaced by the C code and A code when the first true 65 came out in August of 64 as I recall.

Yes I've been into Mustangs since 62! Waited for almost 2 years to onder my 64 1/2 vert!
Old 05-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Yep, A 260 Generator Car with 3-Speed M/T. . Wimbledon White. From what I've heard it was a 64 1/2. I never got to see it, you know the story, he sold it way back for less then $500. They just came out with the 'Cougar' in HotWheels Form a couple weeks ago. Labeled the '1962 Mustang Concept Car'
Old 05-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Does removing the quarter trim really give you access in there? Anyone know if you have to/can fit an arm in there to screw the ornament bolts on?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekoe1111 View Post
Does removing the quarter trim really give you access in there? Anyone know if you have to/can fit an arm in there to screw the ornament bolts on?

From the top? Past the top mechanism? That's an interesting idea! Think I'll go out in the garage and take a look (and reach?) tomorrow morning. It won't be a good test because the 68 (and 67) have fatter quarters so there's more room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.