AOD in a 1965 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default AOD in a 1965

I just finished putting my A code engine back in the car and have either a c-4 or a AOD, what is involved with using the overdrive unit,it came out of a 1988 LX,I beleive I need a crossmember,linkage and driveshaft,has anyone done this and any suggestions,or should I stick with the C-4, the motor is pretty tame,I am even using the stock exhaust manifolds,also does anybody make a good flow exhaust system with the original manifolds,all I see is header back kits,thanks,Pete
Another Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would definitely look at upgrading to an overdrive unit while it's out. You'll need the crossmember, cooling lines, flexplate, shifter linkage, throttle valve cable (Lokar), carb adapter maybe for the TV cable connection (Lokar), block/inspection plate, and probably more that I'm not thinking of. Check out one of the AOD conversion kits at CJPonyParts. Not for purchase, but to get an idea of the parts required. You might need a new slip yoke and driveshaft too, but maybe not if your C4 yoke is good to go, and you won't know about the driveshaft until it's in there.

I ended up choosing the T5 install on mine. Haven't done it yet though. Have all the parts, just waiting to get back to my car. I just read about too many issues with the clunkiness and unreliability of the AOD's, and issues with the throttle valve setup. I read many good reviews about them too though, so to each their own. The cost ended up being about the same depending on how thrifty you get.

Not sure about the exhaust.

Chris
1966 Hardtop
302 V8
T5 Transmission
Painless Wiring Harness
Front/Rear Power Disc Brakes (SSBC)
smittycm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2010, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

I did this with my 69 a few months back. Switched out my C4 for an aod out of an 89 truck. Smittycm is right about the parts he mentioned and the throttle valve cable was difficult to set for good shift points. Heck, the shift points still suck. Two things that Smitty forgot was the shift linkage, and longer bell housing to block bolts. You will have to modify (bend) the original shift rod to work or you can buy one made for the conversion but they are pricey. I bent mine and it works great. The extra cost of using the aod instead of the C4 will run $500 to $800 depending on exhaust work (had to cut mine and have it rewelded with some new pieces) shift rod, and whether or not you have to have your drive line cut, with a new yoke (C4 yoke worked in mine after trimming off 1.5 inches so i didnt have to cut the drive line and have it rebalanced). One more issue for you is that the tunnel in the 65 and 66 stangs were not as wide as 67 thru 73 as i understand so you may have to massage (big hammer) the tunnel to make it fit. I don't know for sure. The trans i bought had already been rebuilt with TCI parts, so the shifts are firm but not jarring. After all the expense i went through and as i mentioned earlier, the shift points on the stock valve body suck. I'm in second gear at 15mph and 3rd gear at 22mph under light, normal, acceleration. Under wide open throttle, it shifts into 3rd at 33mph. Yuck. I will spend additional money ($230 to $300) to fix my shift points but still researching the best way to go. Even if my shift points were great as is, you still have the issue of not being able to hold the tranny in 2nd gear manually without low-drive-low shuffle to fool the transmission into staying in second gear. Silverfox performance transmission makes a valve body that will shift in all gears at 5800 rpm under wide open throttle but yet shift at good rpms under normal driving conditions. I think that's what i'm going for. Anyway, as you can see, an aod swap has some issues but that 4th gear is a blessing going down the highway at 75, with 3:55 gears and rpms low. Good luck.
69moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info.,I am going to stick with the C-4, there is to many things to get it right,I did a T-5 in my '66 fastback and I guess since it is a stick there wasn't to many issues,thanks again,Pete
Another Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

If really interested in Overdrive, you could always look at one of those Gear Vendors units later down the road. Lets you keep the C4, but add overdrive. I was looking at one of those units myself, but they were just too expensive for me. Got good reviews from what few posts I could find on them though.

Chris
1966 Hardtop
302 V8
T5 Transmission
Painless Wiring Harness
Front/Rear Power Disc Brakes (SSBC)
smittycm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have an AOD in my 65 and let me tell you this. its a pain in the a$$ yea its great for highway but clearance is a problem and headers are a problem it cost me over 1k for headers cause they had to be specialy made to fit the bell housing. i have a AOD from a thunderbird, but on the good side my car pulls 15k at 75mph and thats nice for highway driving! It is quick from the lights still too when you figure out how to use it properly. i just needed the cross member and the throttle kick down linkage it takes a little to get it set right to shift when you want it to but once its on its on and stays that way, now every time you adjust your carb you have to adjust the linkage. my car is lowered and sometime it has hit in parking lots before. well the bell housing. and i had to have a drive shaft made for it. but that was pretty cheap.
1965 Mustang Deluxe aka Pony car. daily driver, 306 Cobra ,Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, Edelbrock 1406 carb modified, Full electric MSD ignition and distributor. custom long tub headers and flowmaster exhaust. My stang http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/me...s-my-pony.html

Last edited by mhart032; 06-01-2010 at 08:50 PM.
mhart032 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

oh also i added a tranny cooler to it.
1965 Mustang Deluxe aka Pony car. daily driver, 306 Cobra ,Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, Edelbrock 1406 carb modified, Full electric MSD ignition and distributor. custom long tub headers and flowmaster exhaust. My stang http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/me...s-my-pony.html
mhart032 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ooo

This is a compilation of diferent articles of the swap I did a while back check it out helps a lot

http://www.prtc.net/~bonwell/C4 to AOD swap2.doc
ARPM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 01:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Most of that write up was pretty good, but to clarify one major thing that was incorrect....

The AOD transmission does not have to be a Pre 1991 model. The AOD's in mustangs were still AOD's up to 1993. It wasn't until 1994 when Ford first used the OBDII computer and switched to the electronic AODE transmission.

So anyone who uses a Pre 1994 AOD from a mustang would be good to go for this swap.

FYI:
(There are also differences in the front input shaft length and gear ratio's depending on what year & model it came out of [ie- trucks or cars] but as long as you stick with an AOD originally behind a 5.0 engine out of a Fox body mustang you're good =)

Sincerely,
Keith

ASE Certified Transmission Technician
Fox 4 fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.