1967 cowl replacement - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1967 cowl replacement

Judging by other threads, I guess I made a mistake buying the Dynacorn one piece cowl assembly for my '67 coupe instead of the separate cowl pieces. Have you seen any good instructions on-line to install the one piece cowl assembly? Mustang Monthly has an article on replacing the separate pieces, and it looks like the way to go is drill/punch holes through the assembly all the way around and plug weld into place. It seems that defeats the purpose of buying the assembly.
Terry1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

you can always drill out the spot welds in the one piece making it two
67FSTBKRestoMod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry1967Mustang View Post
Judging by other threads, I guess I made a mistake buying the Dynacorn one piece cowl assembly for my '67 coupe instead of the separate cowl pieces. Have you seen any good instructions on-line to install the one piece cowl assembly? Mustang Monthly has an article on replacing the separate pieces, and it looks like the way to go is drill/punch holes through the assembly all the way around and plug weld into place. It seems that defeats the purpose of buying the assembly.
If drilled separately, it would be hard to line up the holes. Starting with one piece, you guarantee perfect alignment.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

use the 4 holes that the shock tower braces bolt to for alignment.
supershifter2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

I meant the drilled holes.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wait about rust prevention?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../sigforvmf.jpg
5R07C, 4spd Toploader, Black Std Interior, Originally Ivy Green, Edelbrock 500cfm-4V on Perf 289 Intake,
Hurst Super Shifter, Baer SS4 Disc Brakes (4-piston, Aluminum, USA Made),
New Front Susp. w/Shelby Drop, New Steering, Drake Export Brace / 1" Sway Bar / Monte Carlo Bar, Mallory Unilite Distributor
lunarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

They come painted by Dynacorn, inside and out, which puts them way ahead of the original piece, which was completely bare inside and underneath. Additionally, you could put that waxy brown 3M rustproofing in, which works very well.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Like 22GT said this is already painted much better than Ford ever did. Can you tell if Dynacorn applied any sort of seam sealer around the hats on the inside? That might be tough to do now, but you might be able to reach in and tell? How much rain will your car really see? You can always try painting it more from the hat holes, but I don't know if that would really needed.

As for installation if you drilled all the way through to take you old pieces off you could try welding from the bottom side but that would be a pain unless your car is on a rotisserie.

The 4 main alignment holes should take care of you.

This is one case where I think buying it in two pieces is better

68 Coupe 351w, Duraspark, C4, A/C, PS, PB
67 Convertible 5.0, Duraspark, AOD swap, Bench Seat, A/C, PS, PB (1/31/67 Dearborn)

http://www.heartlandlasercreations.c...s/coupesig.jpg
http://www.heartlandlasercreations.c...onvertible.jpg

'67 Convertible Project

“People forget how fast you did a job - but they remember how well you did it”. - Howard Newton
Heap64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

I never put one in a 67 but I did one in my 70 and it was pretty easy. I do not see how a two piece would make it easier to do. I drilled the spot weld holes in the car not the cowl panel and welded them from the underside. This results in almost no grinding on the topside where you will see it. I lined it up with the shock tower brace holes and the bottoms of the A pillars. It fit really good.
1109RWHP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses.

To answer the question about seam sealer, I do not see any sealer around the hats. I'll try to reach up through the hats and add some.
Terry1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

To answer the question about seam sealer, I do not see any sealer around the hats. I'll try to reach up through the hats and add some.
Good luck with that. There's less than an inch of space at the top of the standpipes.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

THAT was the major problem in the first place re the original unpainted cowl. There were EARLY complaints of cowl leakage after a couple years and there may have been a service bulletin on the problem. Have had a couple Mustangs where one could reach up and pull the rusty top hat out. One car in particular, had very little cancerous rust and was able to make a good repair of the area with the hats OUT. After painting the inside, spraying Rusoteum primer and a finish coat of black Rustoleum, leaving a bare metal ring on the cowl base, to facilitate bonding, coated the brim of an ABS plastic hat with a 2 part epoxy. Many disparage the use of those hats but they are most useful in the repair of mildly rusted cowls. The hat surface is first roughed up with 40 grit. They are only as good as the preparation.

If I had installed a one piece cowl in a Mustang and then remembered the four or so spot welds of the hat to the cowl base would make the above repair. Unfortunately, Dynacorn mfr'd their new full cowl to original specs.

A word about the epoxy. used a two part system from a co. in Miami, Fasco. If their product is good enough to make an underwater repair on an aluminum bassboat, and last, it WILL work. The new Mustang and Ford magazine used a Fasco probuct in one of there articles.
[http://www.fascoepoxies.com]Fasco unlimited[/url]
yelostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.