1965 gas tank leaking - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1965 gas tank leaking

Hey guys my 1965 gas tank is leaking at the petcock or where the fuel lines hook up. i had a fuel pump go out and i had to pull the electric pump off just to get home. so i hooked up the lines back to the tank bypassing the fuel pump. well i had to turn the hose port on the gas tank and now its leaking, is this fitting welded into the tank and it just rusted or is there a seal on that tank where the fitting goes in.
thanks
Matt
1965 Mustang Deluxe aka Pony car. daily driver, 306 Cobra ,Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, Edelbrock 1406 carb modified, Full electric MSD ignition and distributor. custom long tub headers and flowmaster exhaust. My stang http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/me...s-my-pony.html
mhart032 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhart032 View Post
Hey guys my 1965 gas tank is leaking at the petcock or where the fuel lines hook up. i had a fuel pump go out and i had to pull the electric pump off just to get home. so i hooked up the lines back to the tank bypassing the fuel pump. well i had to turn the hose port on the gas tank and now its leaking, is this fitting welded into the tank and it just rusted or is there a seal on that tank where the fitting goes in.
thanks
Matt
The tube is permanently attached. If the tube is leaking, the sender is trashed.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

did you twist it tight enough. and if all else fails weld it
bbpschools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you have a stock tank (donno what was done/modified for electric pump) the fuel outlet is on sender. The sender is removeable and has a seal/gasket/O ring to the tank.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

OMG! Don't weld by/on the gas tank!
Old 06-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Like 22GT said. If it's leaking where the fuel line/tube comes out (that's the sender) the sender is likely shot.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

theres a lock ring that holds sender to tank-remove by tapping ring to remove.then u can braze or solder the tube to the sender again or replace sending unit. wes
mustang656man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Guys, its not the sending unit. its the elbow that is attached to the tank. its leaking from around the 2.5 inch hole in the tank. the sending unit is working fine.
1965 Mustang Deluxe aka Pony car. daily driver, 306 Cobra ,Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, Edelbrock 1406 carb modified, Full electric MSD ignition and distributor. custom long tub headers and flowmaster exhaust. My stang http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/me...s-my-pony.html
Old 06-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Guys, its not the sending unit. its the elbow that is attached to the tank.
No such thing, unless home-made.

its leaking from around the 2.5 inch hole in the tank. the sending unit is working fine.
Then you need the square o-ring seal.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
OMG! Don't weld by/on the gas tank!
hahahaha, my exact thoughts.
sanchtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 05:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhart032 View Post
Guys, its not the sending unit. its the elbow that is attached to the tank. its leaking from around the 2.5 inch hole in the tank. the sending unit is working fine.

The sending unit can be working fine and still leak! Two places it can be leaking. The O ring at the 2" hole, or where the sending connection comes through the middle. Neither affects the gauge reading!

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

ok i see whats your saying. i think the o-ring mite be bad. or when i turned the elbow i may have just loosened the connection. but if i correct this can be replaced without replacing the fuel cell correct?
Old 06-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

A while back I said is it stock fuel tank? No reply! If you don't say what you have how can we help?
Old 06-27-2010, 04:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Sorry its the stock fuel tank.
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.