Best Carb and Intake for 351W - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best Carb and Intake for 351W

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and I was hoping someone can help out here in this little dilemma.

I did some research in the forums here to see if someone else had already asked/answered this question but I haven't had much luck getting a specific answer so I'll try it on my own topic.

I have a 1969 Mustang Grande with a stock 351W and my dad and I have decided to add a new 4bbl carb and intake since apparently everyone changes out the Windsors stock 2bbl carb with a 4bbl unless they were keeping it original (according to a couple mechanics we talked to). So I'm just curious what you guys would propose we do. I'm not looking to make my car into a dragster or anything but I would like to have some good horsepower (280-320 range).
I remember coming across a topic on this sight that someone talked about the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake but if there are others too please let me know.

Thanks guys
69Grande01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

welcome to the forums!

my experaince that worked well for me over the years is Holly 80457 and a dual plane intake (any name brand is fine.)

make aure your ignition is up graded also to handle the extra fuel

also imo save al you old parts so the car can be put back to original if you ever decide to or want to sell it one day

Holley also makes a 500 CFM 2 BBL that will work fine also and save you $$$$ and time

1993 GT 11,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof. Untouched except for rubber and battery, Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid and new car smell.

Last edited by Blues Power; 07-08-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Blues Power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

The performer rpm manifold and a 600 cfm carb will be very good for the street at your performance target.
Alan _MacDougall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sweet thanks guys. Also we're planning on having the block hot tanked and rebuilt in probably a couple months and we are thinking of adding a performance cam too. Any takes on a cam in particular?

Appreciate this a lot guys!
69Grande01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

summit carb and a weiand stealth intake. Might as well put some better heads on there while your at it.
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'd run a stealth over an rpm on a stocker, summit and professional products make a stealth clone for a lot cheaper and they work great, I have a ported one on my 408, as for carb 600 cfm is fine, a road demon 525-625 would be optimal and probably give the best economy and performance out of all 600 cfm carbs.
htwheelz67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member

the factory ford C9OX-9424-A Buddy Bar aluminum intake is said to be the ultimate from idle to about 6000 rpm. its got a huge plenum and is a lowrise and came stock on the 69-70 351W shelbys. a few weeks ago i bought a good one at the pomona swap meet for $200.00. i am going to put it on the W in my torino and disguard the performer thats on it. i have seen them from time to time on ebay and they were sold over the counter from ford and came with either cobra ,ford , or shelby letters. look at the water jackets to make sure they are not corroded away. a 750 cfm "vac secondary" is a good size for your W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buddy bar.jpg (19.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by supershifter2; 07-09-2010 at 02:29 AM.
supershifter2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

That's a good idea to also upgrade the cam. Exhaust would be the natural next step. It doesn't pay to suck more air/fuel in if you can't pump it out.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

without changing the cam and/or heads you should be able to pull maybe 250hp max with int/carb/headers/exhaust and a good ignition, add the right cam to the mix you could hit 280 hp, add good heads and a matching cam for the combo 350-400hp can be done.

on the cheap for an intake/carb this is what I would do....Professional Products 54023 - Professional Products Typhoon Intake Manifolds - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Summit Racing SUM-M08600VS - Summit Racing Street & Strip® Carburetors - Overview - SummitRacing.com

The summit carb is a improved holley 4010 which is based on the autolite 4100, the annular boosters are a big plus adding low end tq and throttle response other wise the best carb for the money is........Barry Grant 4282020VE Demon Road Demon Carburetors
htwheelz67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

If you don't like tuning carbs get a 600 cfm Edelbrock. Most of the time it is bolt it on and go for a stock engine.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.