How to tell Mustang years apart? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to tell Mustang years apart?

Okay, I'm a little ashamed to say this. I've owned a Mustang off and on for the past 15 years and I have a little trouble telling the years apart. I've got the '64.5 through '70 down. But for the life of me, I can't tell '71, '72, '73's apart. Is there a way to distinguish a '71 from a '72 or '73 as easy as it is to tell the 60's ponies apart?
wilit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 07:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Well I don't known any cosmetic difference in 71 and 72, but the 73 has a rubber front bumper and vertical parking lights in the grill.

65 coupe GT C4 black/red pony restoring
65 fastback A code C4 AC silver blue Driver
rdlagray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

71's (except sportsroof and Mach 1) will have the block letters (Mustang) across the trunk lid, 71 sportroof had a stripe across the decklid with the Mustang letters cut out, but it often did not get replaced on a repaint. Taillights on 71-2 have a blackout pattern around the lenses. Front turn signals are under the bumper. Bemper can be chrome or urethane, depends on the options.

72-up (except 72 Mach 1) will have the Mustang script like the fenders on the lower right of the trunk lid. 72 was the first year of the "Fasten Seat Belt" buzzer, so all of them will have the lamp in the center of the passenger dash.

73 will have as mentioned, vertical parking lights in the grill, the big urethane impact bumper, painted hood/fender mouldings and the taillights are all bright metal, no blackout paint. There's also the rear bumper that sits out further from the body with filler moldings. 73 Mach 1 has the wide stripe just above the lower body line.

There's more, but those are the major items. Pick up a Mustang Recognition guide from your favorite Mustang parts store, it'll detail the differences between all of the years.

71 Mach 1

HOLLEY TECH PAGES
FORD OE TACH HOOKUP FORD OE TACH HOOKUP w/MSD (pg 7)

Last edited by Hemikiller; 07-23-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Hemikiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.