how much hp ?, 289 4v carb + headers ? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default how much hp ?, 289 4v carb + headers ?

i've got a rebuilt 289 in my 68 and it's been moded to a 4 barell carb and it's got headers and 2.1/4 dual mufflers that dont connect. i think the motor as been rebuilt to stock specs. how much hp i my looking at ? thanks
livharder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Stock 4V was rated at 225 Hp. Hi-Po 289 with mechanical lemans cam, intake, better rockers, heads, dual point distributor with mechanical advance and Hp exhaust manifolds was 271 Hp. My guess, probably since you say modded to a 4v carb (I'm guessing it's a 2V motor) you're probably around 220Hp at the flywheel.
HoustonGlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

K code had same heads (functionally - passages, valves and ports were identical, just had lips around valve seats), intake as regular 4v 289, just a better cam and timing, a touch more compression/carb, dual dizzy and better ex manifolds and better main bearing caps and con rod bolts IIRC. Allowing it to rev to 6500 helped it achieve it's 271 hp - and I wish I had one

My best guess is, your 2v converted to 4v engine will still have the dished 9 to 1 or so pistons, so not quite as much comp ratio as a A or K code. But on the plus side, you'll be doing around 215, maybe 220 flywheel hp with the exhaust mods you describe if all else is in good working order.
[/SIGPIC]67 Fastback GT -- original colour (Frost Turquoise), orig engine. Pic is of me and the Mustang taken in summer of '67, with original F70-14 Wide Ovals. Same car is now restored to "as new" but 3 speed tranny swapped out for 4 gear, with tach dash, original Equalock rear, Opentracker roller perches and idler arm, roller bearing pedal cluster, Cibie headlights, 4100 carb (old 4300 put in storage probably forever)
jfstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

You guys have hit it right on the head. The factory ratings on these engines was a bit optimistic. There was a recent issue of Hot Rod {or Car Craft} that had a chebby vs Ford engine dyno shootout.

The Shelby 289 which was rated at 315hp was a few horses short in the stable.
Mtrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

That 225hp factory rating was without any belts, manifolds or air filter.

This is why the 200hp 302 went to 140hp from 1972 to 1973.

My guess is you are looking at about 150hp at the wheels.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Man... That's depressing, my 302 is gonna be pushin' about the same.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGlock View Post
Stock 4V was rated at 225 Hp. Hi-Po 289 with mechanical lemans cam, intake, better rockers, heads, dual point distributor with mechanical advance and Hp exhaust manifolds was 271 Hp. My guess, probably since you say modded to a 4v carb (I'm guessing it's a 2V motor) you're probably around 220Hp at the flywheel.
I agree with the above, with this reservation. The 271 hp 289HP engine was factory-equipped with the C3OZ-6250-C mechanical camshaft. The over-the-counter Cobra LeMans camshaft was the C7FE-6250-A, and although it idled smooth enough for street use, it was the real thing, alright.

Ford calculated that with the LeMans cam, and 351W heads, a 302 would produce 355 hp. In case you are wondering, the 351W head, slightly modified, became the GT40 head.

Last edited by 22GT; 07-24-2010 at 07:37 PM.
22GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

well i have a 289 with God knows what inside, i really don't remember, probably close to original, but that was 10 years ago! i have a edelbrokc 600 4v, perfromer 289 intake, some port work, electric ignition, and a 2.25" dual exhaust w/ h-pipe and cherry bombs(soon to be Arvinodes) it's not a TON of power, but she's sure as hell a LOT of fun to drive don't worry about your power, you need to build the motor right, and if you want the power, just remember that power is made or lost in the heads. on my 76 cb750, just a little port work and other head clean ups can yield up to 10 hp, which is a 25% increase over stock, and that's just with some basic dremel tools!!

i gave up on my stroker small block or any other motor, i'm just in love with the 289, so i'm going to build her right, aka forced air!! :-D
wannabridin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

If it is a generic 289 with those mods then 150-175 at the wheels.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.