**302 dies when hot** Fuel is boiling in carb
I'm new to the forum, and have recently purchased a 72 Convertible with the Mach 1 Package. Fun car, but we're still getting to know each other. What I know now is that she doesn't like the desert! Originally thought I had an electrical issue, but now I'm really stumped! This is driving me nuts!
Runs like a champ when cool. After it's hot, it will rev, and idle OK, but when you put a load on it, it just dies. Here’s what I’ve done since the problem began, and what I am observing:
• New carb (already had, so put it on
• Hard metal fuel supply lines (at carb)
• New coil (Mallory resistor coil)
• New electronic distributor internals (Mallory)
• The fuel bowls are full
• Timing at 12 btdc
• The fuel filter is nice and full when cold, but as temps rise, fuel filter drains to near empty, and I can see irregular spurts of fuel every few seconds into the near empty filter. However, bowls are full, so fuel starvation should not be a problem, correct? Or, could pump cavitation cause an issue, even with full fuel bowls?
• Once engine reaches max temps, at idle, if I try to hit the accelerator, it just dies.
I have a Carter fuel pump with about 2k miles from another project, which I could try. I also have recently rebuilt the old Holley 1850/600, which I could swap, but somehow I don't think that's the issue. I was having this problem with the old carb before rebuilding it.
Thanks to all for looking!
1972 Mustang Covertible 302 w/ Mach 1 Package
Last edited by Vegas72; 07-27-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Reason: Change title.