Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: On the road in NE Oklahoma
1) use a good quality non-synthetic oil and good quality filter. Weight is not so important, imho.
2) use a break in additive. Comp cams sells a good one
3) use a lot of assembly lube
4) new lifters
5) and very very important: adjust idle to run engine at 2000 rpm for 15 to 20 minutes. Have a fan blowing on the radiator.
6) change filter at no later than 500 miles. I recommend 250 - 300 mile filter change. The break in additive has graphite in it. It will eventually clog the filter, which will open the filters by-pass valve, which is the same as no filter at all. Subsequently, for this reason, do not use break in additive when you are changing the oil every 3000 + miles.