Cost of rebuilding C4 transmission? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Alert Cost of rebuilding C4 transmission?

My mom bought her 1965 Mustang convertible in the summer of 1965; I was in the back seat when she drove it off the lot. Now it's mine, sitting in my garage. This vehicle has been in my family since the day it was sold. I learned to drive on it! While it is in fair running condition, I need to get the transmission worked on. I'm pretty sure the seals are shot, since it constantly leaks fluid, and it shifts badly. At this point, I'm just hoping not to have to completely replace the tranny (this is the second one the car has had in 45 years). I've spent a good chunk of my life working on this car, and I'm old and tired now. What I need is an idea of how much $$ others have spent to have an automatic transmission worked on. I know this is a broad question, and prices/costs vary around the country. But if anyone on this forum has recently had work done on an early-model Mustang automatic (C4) transmission or something similar, I'd really be grateful for some info. Thanks.

Oh, and with all due respect and admiration for the do-it-yourselfers out there, no, I'm not going to do this work myself. I'm too old and cranky to be doing my own tranny work.
Munchkyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had a c6 rebuilt by the local chain transmission shop. Cost around 12-1300 installed when all said and done on Long Island a year ago. That was just a stock rebuild.
JCB-69CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

here in Texas, I installed it myself, cost me $475 for the rebuild. I don't know where you are but figure labor to be around $150-$200 an hour for install.
topherloaf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
I won a special award

If you can take a transmission out and reinstall it yourself, you can save a lot of money by just having a "bench job" rebuild done.
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Last edited by Maxum96; 08-19-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Had one done a few years ago including R&R. As I remember it was around $750-800. Had another one done as a bench job about 10 years ago including a rebuilt torque converter and conversion to a '67 valve body to get rid of the dreaded "Green Dot" shift pattern. I think it was around $650, but that was back then. Good Luck
Old 08-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Got a quote the other day. $450 carried in, no more than $700 removed, rebuilt and installed.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

A new TCI or B&M will run you around $800. A couple hundred more for an install, or do that yourself.
82 Mustang GT- No engine in it. Caged drag car.
SinisterSnake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Boy , we really get killed here on Long Island with the prices, taxes too.
JCB-69CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to camachinist Send a message via AIM to camachinist Send a message via Yahoo to camachinist

In my area, a rebuilt C4 with an aftermarket street performance converter and shift kit R&R'd will run about 1.5K all-in, including sales tax. Subtract about 300.00 if an OEM rebuilt converter. I'd still recommend the shift kit. It will extend transmission life. A rebuilder can get one for a few bucks. This presumes the customer trans is a core and another unit will be installed in the vehicle.
Visit my MySpace Blog
camachinist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well I seen some nice rebuilt c4 on craiglist and ebay.
1969 Fastback project hardfind 12/14/13
08 focus 2dr coupe dd

If you can afford a new car you can afford a classic car.
Wiz998 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Make sure you replace the converter also. If you have 3.00 or 2.79 gears don't get a loose converter - stay in the 1600-1800 stall range.

I would not trust a "rebuilt" tranny that does not have a warranty. If it is no good then you are out the $$$.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to camachinist Send a message via AIM to camachinist Send a message via Yahoo to camachinist

I found a couple of eBay ads which reflect pricing I would consider competitive if available locally. Units rebuilt to OEM with Transgo parts and a shift kit sell for around 500.00 plus core, less converter, with 90 day warranty. I typically paid 125-150 for a Transgo master kit with the upgraded frictions and solid (not flex) intermediate band. Shift kit cost about 10 bucks. Haven't built any since I got married so that was ten years ago.

Most of the trans I built had 'tricks' in them to handle race car HP levels, but the OEM-basis stuff usually worked out to around 400-500 with a few tricks thrown in, like adding a clutch plate to the stack or blueprinting the pump. Add 75 for the converter, double for R&R, and there's the number. I usually replaced the extension housing bushing and added a deep pan.
Visit my MySpace Blog
camachinist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB-69CJ View Post
Boy , we really get killed here on Long Island with the prices, taxes too.

this place sucks to live in. you get beat every which way no matter what you do. But then again I think the whole NE isnt too far behind us

1993 GT 11,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof. Untouched except for rubber and battery, Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid and new car smell.
Blues Power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

My C4 was done about a year & half ago by a local transmission shop; it was $400.00 to remove the dual exhaust, remove & rebuild the transmission including a rebuilt torque converter and re-install the exhaust and the transmission. It came with a 6 month warranty and it has been perfect since it was rebuilt. I have seen C4's on the internet completely rebuilt with warranties for $400.00 plus shippling.
AMR66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Great info, guys! This is all good (but now I know not to have any tranny work done on Long Island!). The shop I was going to take this to is closed for vacation, but now when they get back I'll have some "ballpark" idea of how much this will all cost. Much obliged for all your feedback!
Munchkyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.