Vibration under braking - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Vibration under braking

Hi guys,

1968 mustang 289, c4 convertible

I'm a Do it myselfer.

I had a real bad shaking/vibration under braking...took it to a mechanic...told me i need lower ball joints, shoes and resurfacing of drums. So while I was at it I did a Shelby 1" drop, 620 lowering coils, KYB shocks, perches, lower control arms, idler arm, then paid a ridiculous amount for him to align it (negative 1 camber, positive 2.6,2.8 caster, 1/8 toe).

Still shook/vibrated under braking. Sooo...lifted the car...shook the heck out of tires...upper ball joints had play. Replaced them...drilled the rivets out and bolted upper ball joints in.

Violent shake went away BUT still noticeably vibrates a bit in pedal and body while braking. Cant say it DOESN'T happen when turning...but its not noticeable.

Replaced new shoes and drums all the way around. (manual drums all the way around)

Still vibrates...

Only other thing I notice is...

1. seems to be a little bit of play in front sway bar bushings.

2. if the wheels are off ground, and I'm under the engine and I jolt the front of both front tires outward there is a jolting noise that sounds like its coming from the new lower ball joints ( may have some play horizontally ) or tie rod ?

3. Wanders on highway BUT haven't checked since new upper ball joints.

4. Also makes a Single Bang Noise when turning under hardish acceleration from a complete stop.

(These problems may not be related)

I know...long detailed post right? Any ideas...tie rods? bearings/race? defective lower ball joints?

Thanks!
A-New-Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

You didnt get any grease in the drums,did you clean finger greasy hand prints off shoes and drums before you buttoned it up.

Kevin
1965 Fastback-Scat 331, Dart heads, FPA headers, Air Gap intake, 650 Ultra DP, Cobra pan, Lunati VooDoo cam 61003, C-4, 10 inch converter, Reverse manual valve body,Detroit Truetracw/3.50s, subframe connectors.
1968 S-code Torino Fastback= project
1966 A-code Mustang coupe=Basket case not sure what to do with it used some parts for the fastback.
65since88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Check your wheel bearing adjustment and tie rod ends for play. Both will cause a vibration when braking.
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

No grease on drums at all. Vibration was there before and after brake replacement. With regards to bearings... pretty sure they're on tight enough...spun wheel while tightening them with open wrench and stopped when it was "good and tight" meaning firm but not hindering wheel rotation.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wheel Bearings. Thghten Nut down to about 25 lbs. Spin wheel. Back off after wheel has stopped spinning and tighten down to about 7 to 10 lbs, then back off one slot.

Bearings sometimes have to be seated. But I don't think that's your problem. Check your idler arm. If it's bad it will alow shaking as your entire draglink can shift and vibrate. Might also cause a clunk if worn bad enough.
Blubaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 02:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hmmm....Idler arm is new also...
Old 09-13-2010, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

The bang when turning means that something is loose. I suspect suspension parts. Are the strut rods tight? Or more likely UCA. You need to check the torque on EVERY nut/bolt on the suspension and steering.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.