1970 Mach 1 Engine Compartment Wiring - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1970 Mach 1 Engine Compartment Wiring

Hi I am looking for photos and feed back on engine compartment wiring. I am in the process of rewiring the car, I have the wiring all figured out as far as point a to b but I am looking for help on how the wiring is routed. Clip types and locations best way to wrap the wires etc..Also trying to fing where I can find some factory style connectors, push on type wire connectors, for the coil, temperature and oil sensors etc..and the two wire male/female plugs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Its not a concours restoration but I want it to look neat and correct. The car has a 351 C engine, automatic, Mach 1, no a/c, no tach.

Thanks
Ken
Kenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Repair plugs for 1, 2, 3, and 4 connector are available. Also, all the plastic clips are available, as far as I know.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Routing is easy, the Electrical Assembly Manual shows where everything is routed, and which clips are where, as well as provides the wiring diagrams. Well worth the cost.
The clips and retainers can be had from AMK, as well as from most Mustang suppliers. AMK actually sells a kit with all the retainers and clips in one unit.
Connectors don't seem to have an easy solution, at least from what I've found. One solution is to use the repro harnesses (made by AMP), which are actually quite good, and include all the connectors for mating with the original underhood equipment.

Carl
'11 Shelby GT-500
'02 Excursion (7.3l)
'04 Expedition
'07 Speed6
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cpierc...eels Small.jpg
chpierce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's nearly impossible to take enough pictures to sow the amount of detail you need--black taped harnesses on black paint are hard to follow in a picture. The factory wiring diagrams are a great help but can be confusing if your car is far away from correct. Going to some car shows or large cruise-ins can be a huge help. Especially if you meet someone local with a similar car that'll let you spend some time studying it

My previous pony was a 70 Mach1:

Old 10-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

As Guy said, following black tape wrapped wires in a black engine compartment can be difficult:

Even if you're going the custom route, I think the Electrical Assembly Manual is a great resource ($19 from NPD) since it has the wiring diagrams as well.
If there's any specific area you need info on, let me know and I'll try to describe it/shoot a pic of it.

Carl
'11 Shelby GT-500
'02 Excursion (7.3l)
'04 Expedition
'07 Speed6

Last edited by chpierce; 10-03-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

This is a similar pic but with most wiring hidden under the guards...

Old 10-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Carl and all,
Carl that is the look I am going for in my engine compartment, looks neat and correct. The only difference in mine would be I don't have a shaker hood and there is wiring that goes to my fake scoop for the directional lights.
I will pick up that manual it should be a big help. The area I am looking for a good photo of is the gauge and coil harness and the charging harness. I think there are some clips on the valve cover for the gauge harness, not sure on the charging harness, seems most cars have it tied to the shock tower support not sure.
Kenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

The charging harness goes out under the cowl support. There are two retainers that connect to the bottom of the brace, and another that connects to the shock tower. The extra harness is strapped to the apron below the voltage regulator. I'll see if I have a pic.
The engine feed harness has three clips, one on the top rear bolt of the drivers side valve cover, then two more on the top bolts of the passenger side valve cover.
On a Cleveland, the oil pressure sensor is on the rear of the engine, so the front of the harness looks the same (mine has a Pertronix integrated for daily driving, so there is actually an extra wire in that pic.) It comes up the passenger side valve cover, then splits. The coil is properly mounted in front of the passenger side valve cover.
The Electrical manual shows the hood mounted indicator harness, as well as the above.
The only difference with a shaker is an extra pair of vacuum hoses, and a different tee on the front of the engine.

Carl
'11 Shelby GT-500
'02 Excursion (7.3l)
'04 Expedition
'07 Speed6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.