Right side exhaust smoking and wet - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Right side exhaust smoking and wet

My 302 in my 1965 is smoking(white I believe) and lots of fluid/moisture out of only the right side exhaust. I'm not completely sure, don't have all the details on the cars past, but I think it set for 7 years with little to no use. When I first started the car it smoked pretty bad out of only the right exhaust pipe. It is dual exhaust. The bad smoking went away after a few times of starting it up until it warmed over several days.

Now there is just a slight smoking out of the right exhaust pipe but lots of moisture with a black(carbon?) residue coming out. The left side exhaust is and has always been clean as a whistle. What are the possible issues and how can I tell what needs done?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Blown head gasket. Is there oil in the coolant or water in the pan?

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

+ BLOWN HEAD GASKET
look for milky color in radiator
Old 10-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

+2 on the blown head gasket. Betting your exhaust pipe doesn't have a cross over section like a H or X pipe or it would come out both tail pipes. Depending on the water / antifreeze mix you run you should be able to smell the antifreeze too.

this happened to me before once and I just pulled that head off and swapped the head gasket. Not too bad of a job.
Ford True Blue paint, 17X8 Edelbrock 454 wheels, waiting to install AOD/2,800 rpm stall / 8.8 rear with 373 gears / 4 wheel disc brakes. / Xpipe, Dynomax Ultraflows . More pictures here-->http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...-few-pics.html
2013 SHO Performance Package tuned by Livernois Motorsports
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...68stangsig.jpg
68_GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

i would put some miles on it if there is no oil in radiator and no water in oil before i would do anything else, just keep an eye on radiator level. wes
mustang656man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 06:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yep +3 Blown head gasket.
maxx424 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang656man View Post
i would put some miles on it if there is no oil in radiator and no water in oil before i would do anything else, just keep an eye on radiator level. wes
Not my first choice. Do a compression check if you do nothing else. That will tell.
maxx424 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Doesn't look to be any loss of water in the radiator nor does it look milky/oily. I filled the radiator 5 days ago and it still looks the same. I also do not see any signs of water in the oil. Oil looks good and clean. I shot a video hoping it might help.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detector View Post
My 302 in my 1965 is smoking(white I believe) and lots of fluid/moisture out of only the right side exhaust. I'm not completely sure, don't have all the details on the cars past, but I think it set for 7 years with little to no use. When I first started the car it smoked pretty bad out of only the right exhaust pipe. It is dual exhaust. The bad smoking went away after a few times of starting it up until it warmed over several days.

Now there is just a slight smoking out of the right exhaust pipe but lots of moisture with a black(carbon?) residue coming out. The left side exhaust is and has always been clean as a whistle. What are the possible issues and how can I tell what needs done?

Thanks
I am having similar issues. I can't remember which side has more moisture but also one side is a lot hotter than the other side. What is going on? I don't want to take the focus away from you here but I'm having similar problems too. Any other suggestions? I haven't thought about the head gasket, but for some reason I don't think it's that. There's not a lot of moisture just a little bit and one side has that black residue but the other doesn't.
Umfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

The oil won't necessarily show up in the radiator, nor will water show up in the oil, though they are classic symptoms. You've got a blown head gasket on that side, no question.
ATaylor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detector View Post

If you mean that this car was sitting for that long and you are currently working out he bugs then... is it safe to assume that you just checked for gas and cranked her up?
If so, it's time to check the plugs, filters, oil etc. I didn't really see much smoke on your video. The black in the pipes could just be unburted fule mixing with years of whatever in the exhaust. The white smoke you witnessed on initial startup could have been water in the fuel line or stale gas, or even condensation in the intake depending on where the ar was stored. If there's absolutley no water in the oil and visa versa, I would change out the plugs and oil and then take the car out for a few minutes and 'teach it a lesson'... kinda blow the dust off a bit
But be careful, you don't know what else needs to be looked at, i.e. brakes, steering...

Also, check the post on "289 misfiring every other", it might apply to you, especially if you have a sticking float.
Black65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

does your exhaust have a cross over pipe (H or X) to equalize both sides of the exhaust ? if not this would explain the moisture only being in one tail pipe.

my 2000 GT lost a head gasket at 125K miles and never got any oil in the radiator and really never lost any coolant. It did have a small spark miss from the fluid seeping into the cylinder. The head gasket had gone bad but it wasn't real bad just a small drip into the cylinder like it appears you are getting. The car ran good other than the steam out of the tailpipes. I loosened the radiator cap and it never got pressure in the coolant system and it wasn't noticeable. I drove it like that for about 5K miles then pulled the motor and had it fully race built with an added 15 more PSI of boost On your car there is really no other reason for there to be that much moisture in the tailpipe unless you are never driving it long enough to burn the natural condensation out ? What is the longest you have let the engine run ? This problem you are having may be the reason the car sat for so long as though someone knew it had a problem. Funny it's not that big of a deal on these cars if it is a blown head gasket.
Ford True Blue paint, 17X8 Edelbrock 454 wheels, waiting to install AOD/2,800 rpm stall / 8.8 rear with 373 gears / 4 wheel disc brakes. / Xpipe, Dynomax Ultraflows . More pictures here-->http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...-few-pics.html
2013 SHO Performance Package tuned by Livernois Motorsports
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...68stangsig.jpg
68_GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 05:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks.

No crossover pipe. I didn't get a lot of information from the past owner so I'm basing my assumption that it has sit for some time on some evidence. When I got it home the engine was covered with a lot of dust that disappeared once I started it up. I have not run the engine for more than 15 to 20 minutes at a time. Generally just long enough to warm up.

I'm going to change the oil tonight and look for signs of water. I hadn't changed the oil because it looked very good. Any other tests I can do to test for a blown head gasket/head?

Last edited by Detector; 10-15-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Detector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 06:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

Do a compression test, should let you know if oil or water are leaking into a cylinder. If thats the case, the two will not mix and you wouldnt know by looking at the fluids. Check plugs too, maybe signs of burning oil/water
moose knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

Well I'm pretty sure it is a blown head gasket because when I shut the engine off the right exhaust smokes/steams for awhile. Now I've got some questions as far as replacing the gasket. Is this something I could do myself? I've never done anything this major, but have done a fair share of starters, water pumps and carburetors in the past. I do have a torque wrench. If it is not something I should try don't hesitate to say so.

If I would be better off paying a professional to do it about what should I expect to pay? I live in Dodge City Kansas which has a population of about 28,000. Not a small town but far from a big city. we have roughly 5 mechanic shops from the ford dealer to small owner shops.

Should I go ahead and have both gaskets changed?

How can I best identify the 302 in my car? I would like to know roughly the year so when I get tuneup items. Are there any visible signs to roughly know a year?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.