Recommendations for treating galvanized metal with rust? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Recommendations for treating galvanized metal with rust?

So I'm in the process of replacing my rusty inner rockers and I have some of the galvanized areas (outter rocker and rear torque box) that have some surface rust on them. The rust in some places is quite light, but heavy in other areas, like the rear torque box. None of it is through the metal.

What is everyone's thoughts about treating these rust areas? Should I remove all of the surface rust and the galvanized coating down to the bare metal and treat with an epoxy primer? Or should I try to maintain the protection of the galvanized coating and just treat with a rust converter and then POR 15?
1967 Convertible - White with red deluxe interior
1963 Cadillac Convertible
TrevorK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

This is a tough one without actually seeing it.

I think your choices are to spray with zinc rich primer or spray it with a rust preventative spray like Rust Check.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

I like to remove the rust and galvanized coating in the damaged areas and cover with epoxy primer. My personal opinion: Epoxy Primer is much better than a Galvanized coating
Ford.P51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

this stuff works great. Evapo-Rust Rust Remover Home
Old 11-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford.P51 View Post
I like to remove the rust and galvanized coating in the damaged areas and cover with epoxy primer. My personal opinion: Epoxy Primer is much better than a Galvanized coating

This IMO is comparing apples to monkeys!

Zinc coating protects steel by galvanic sacrificial action. This is an eletromotive action not a coating like paint. The magnesium rod in your water heater works in a similar manner.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.