2v heads - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2v heads

Want to rebuild my 2v cleveland heads - whats the best uprated/performance parts to use? Block is mainly stock apart from a little bit hotter cam. Running a Eddy Performer inlet and a Eddy 1406 carb.
Cheers,
Dave.
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to jvercellino

Are you having the heads done by a machine shop, or are you doing them yourself? If the former, I'd recommend looking at aftermarket heads, like the Edelbrock Perfomer. I had my 2V heads rebuilt with new valves, springs, etc. and hardened valve seats, and it ran almost as much as the heads would have cost. You might get a little more performance out of the deal, too.
jvercellino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 02:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1971 View Post
Want to rebuild my 2v cleveland heads - whats the best uprated/performance parts to use? Block is mainly stock apart from a little bit hotter cam. Running a Eddy Performer inlet and a Eddy 1406 carb.
Cheers,
Dave.
First of all, if you haven't already, check out the 351c forum. Excellent source of info, far more knowledgeable folks there than I am as regards the Cleveland.

LINK

I used Manley valves & Scorpion roller rockers. Ferrea valves might have been a better choice in retrospect (lighter).

I can say that no matter what else you do, using a one-piece valve with a single-groove keeper should be at the top of the list. You don't want the stock 2-piece valve to come apart or slip out of the keeper.

You might also want to read this page:

http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/351Ctips.html

It is a bit out of date (for instance there is a Performer RPM intake for the 351c now, and there are nice aluminum heads from CHI, AFD, and Trick Flow), but it's still a good place to start.
imBOSSter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Guys - food for thought!
Old 11-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a set of bare aussie(casting #ARDIAE) heads, I am also debating whether or not to rebuild them or just buy a set of aluminum heads.
ldouble619 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

If you are keeping it below 5000 rpm then the stock rocke studs will be OK. But you must replace the springs and the factory two piece valves.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
I won a special award

I ran a 351C with 2V heads in my previous 70. I did run the single groove keepers and valves. Don't run the multi groove ones. Great way to drop a valve. If you don't get crazy with the seat pressure on your valve springs, you can run the stock rockers up to 6,000 rpm no problem. I used to drag race my car and even used nitrous without problems. Where you might run into an issue is not having any way to adjust your rockers in case your pushrods are too long or too short. I used adjustable pushrods in my motor. But it was a band aid fix in reality.

Here's what a low compression hydraulic cam 351C can do with 2V open chamber heads. Very basic motor and nothing trick in it. This was without any nitrous in this video.

Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.