fuel tank ground - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default fuel tank ground

Having trouble with gas gauge not reading. It's a stainless 22 gallon, with a scott drake fuel sending unit. Car should have gas in it, that or it's getting 3 mile to the gallon. Gas gauge doesn't work, grounded the wire and the gauge moves accordingly. Only thing I can think of besides a faulty gauge is that I used body puddy (dum-dum) in the black caulk strips to seal up the tank to the flange it sits on. Then used the screws to bolt it down. Do I really need something more then that, or does the 10+ screws suffice for a good body to tank ground? Car runs out of gas, real quick, it'd be nice to have the tank actually read. The float is brass, didn't have any fluid in it when I pulled it the other day
70Mach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

How is wire between gage and tank sending unit ? Might try disconecting at both ends and then connecting ohm meter between one end and body ground. You should get no reading (open circuit). If you get zero or some reading of resistance I would suspect a bad wire. Another way to check would be to run a temporary wire between sending unit and gage. If gage the reads you know wire is bad.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Gauge reads when I ground it. Thats the best part. Just really considering that my tank may not be fully grounded, but I do have all the screws in place and a new tank etc.
70Mach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi 70Mach,
I just changed the tank on my 66. Seems the previous owner had chaulked in a replacement tank at one time. I did not scrape off the chaulk, my new sending unit did not "send" either. I backed out one of the bolts holding in the tank, put a wire under it, and screwed the other end into the body behind the rear seat. Fuel gauge works Perfect now. May be worth a try. Good luck.

George
1966 Sprint 200
It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing Milk Bone Underwear. Norm Peterson
George.Galo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds like you may already know the problem...A bad ground. Having a fuel tank with a weak ground sounds like bad news anyway. I agree with all the screws in there it should be grounded but I'd back 'em all out and make sure each one is hitting bare metal in the trunk and on the tank. You may have done a spectacular job with rustproofing your truck!...which is not a bad thing for Charleston.

PS - My mom lives on Yonges Island and I grew up fishing around Wadmalaw Sound and Edisto...Had to move to Alabama to get a job since during the 'summer of recovery' I got laid off. Can't wait to vote in 2012.

Mustang Restoration Blog
ATaylor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

The 10 screws should be plenty, unless you insulated them. Try grounding the gauge wire that connects to the sender, to the tank itself. If you get strong movement, the problem is in the sender. It's possible that the float is stuck or the sender is defective. If it doesn't move, but will grounded elsewhere, the tank needs to be grounded.
Semi Pro Touring 67 Mustang Convertible * Mild 5.0 EFI * AOD * 68 8" rear end * Aeroform R&P * Open tracker roller perches * Arning Drop * 560 LB 1" lowering front springs * 1.25 front sway bar * Koni front, Grab a track rear shocks * 15x7 Shelby 10 spoke 4.25" BS and 225-60-15 http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=9f637753c1
brianstrange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.