Lets talk Paint.... - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_velocity View Post
+1 me too. Took me 3 months to fill/sand/fill/sand/fill/sand/fill/sand.......you get the point. Guide coat is your friend, you may cuss at it often but it really is your friend. In the end I'm really happy with my garage paint job.

Even if you can't paint there is no reason you can't spend the time to get the body right prior to paint.

Done in my garage, this is my first paint job on a car. Don't look at the lines, the doors and hood are back off the car (only about 3 times now) while I complete the rest of the project. Used a tri-coat (first time) overall there are 14 coats on the car. Material cost was up there, just over $2000

Wow, looks great. I want to do mine all myself as well. I've done some auto painting in the past, but never a whole car. It was so long ago it was the siphon feed style gun.

What is tri coat?
jtfx6552 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 5.0 View Post
Most Maaco's in the North East are using PPG now. I work for a jobber, I know. More and more Maaco's are making the move to PPG across the country.
Shows one how the quality of PPG has gone of recent.....

Just kidding.....But look into Southern Polyurethanes Inc. for primers and epoxys and clear coats. Check out Pro Spray for base coats. can save a bundle on a company that does not pay for NASCAR and Indy Car advertising.

But yes, it is the labor that is the big hit on a paint jobs' price tag. And it takes a lot of labor to get a classic looking like a classic should and not an old beater. I have a strong feeling we are going to start seeing a lot more "rat rod" Mustangs with what it is starting to cost these days for a good paint job.
with White LeMans stripes.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 05:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfx6552 View Post
Wow, looks great. I want to do mine all myself as well. I've done some auto painting in the past, but never a whole car. It was so long ago it was the siphon feed style gun.

What is tri coat?
It's a pearl. Base coat, mid coat then clear. I went with PPG DBC for the base and mid, then DCU2002 for the clear. We stopped after 3 coats of clear, waited a week then sanded, then another 4 coats of clear. We got the paint code off a 2004 Cadillac XLR

I've done small jobs here and there. Upgraded from a Devilbiss JGA to an Iwata LPH-400, wow what a difference the gun makes.
mr_velocity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #19 (permalink)

do the work yourself one time and you will quickly realize and appreciate the labor involved in a quality job.

the materials are peanuts compared with the labor of doing bodywork on a car that's 40 years old.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsGT View Post
I have a strong feeling we are going to start seeing a lot more "rat rod" Mustangs with what it is starting to cost these days for a good paint job.

My car. All new suspension, all new brakes, all new fuel system, all new ignition/distributor, new carb, new master cylinder, (ok, the wheels were a luxury, but I got a steal of a deal on them)... still looks like it fell off the ugly truck. Paint prep is later this summer, so a rat rod she is for now....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../sigforvmf.jpg
5R07C, 4spd Toploader, Black Std Interior, Originally Ivy Green, Edelbrock 500cfm-4V on Perf 289 Intake,
Hurst Super Shifter, Baer SS4 Disc Brakes (4-piston, Aluminum, USA Made),
New Front Susp. w/Shelby Drop, New Steering, Drake Export Brace / 1" Sway Bar / Monte Carlo Bar, Mallory Unilite Distributor
lunarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

don't call your unfinished cars without a good paint job a Rat Rod.

and don't call a car that's been upgraded with 18" rims and new exterior paint a Restomod.

a real Rat Rod is properly thought out. People will purposely do things to make them unique and even look aged.

don't cheese it up those who do put effort into building a real Rat Rod or Restomod.
buckeyedemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #22 (permalink)

What, are you mocking the "purposeful effort" it took me to spray paint on my LeMans Stripes?

I understand your point of view, but aren't we taking ourselves a little too seriously tonight? Geez.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../sigforvmf.jpg
5R07C, 4spd Toploader, Black Std Interior, Originally Ivy Green, Edelbrock 500cfm-4V on Perf 289 Intake,
Hurst Super Shifter, Baer SS4 Disc Brakes (4-piston, Aluminum, USA Made),
New Front Susp. w/Shelby Drop, New Steering, Drake Export Brace / 1" Sway Bar / Monte Carlo Bar, Mallory Unilite Distributor
lunarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #23 (permalink)

This place has a great catalog and will mail you one with a Kirker color chart....
just call them.
Kirker Black Diamond LVB Candy Apple Red - LVB-51400
I priced some paint a month ago....
PPG was in the $800 range
RM Diamont was in the $600 range
Kirker is in the $100 to $150 range.
I've been a member on the following sight for years, & have learned a lot from it.
sprayed kirker for the first time • How to Paint Your Own Car, Auto Body Discussion Forum & Videos • AutoBody101.com
What color are you leaning towards?
Good Luck
mjb1032 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.