Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Jim Meyer Racing IFS Front Suspension

9K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JEM 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Jim Meyer bolt-in MII front suspension? It appears to have just been introduced earlier this year.
Looks the same as Rod & Custom, Heidts or TCI but no welding or shock tower removal required.
Would be OK with late 80's 302/T5 swap and just shaving towers.
Thanks,

Link below.

Welcome to Jim Meyer Racing Products Inc.- Mustang

#3 ·
Thanks, I did read that thread. Lots of comments but nobody who had any actual experience.
I am interested because of the lack of cutting and no welding. Not that I will go back stock but installation looks easier since I'm not a welder.
My only concern is, as the thread stated, the front supports from the crossmember look a bit flimsy and the crossmember is held on with just two bolts.

#4 ·
I have not seen this before... Certainly thinking outside of the box. At first I too thought the "single bolt" holding the cross member was a week point. After studying & thinking about it it in reality would be safer than the stock suspension as each lower control arm is held by a single bolt. At least with this "if" that bolt failed on one side at least the cross member is connected to the other side & braced by the strut rods mounting points preventing the wheel from just folding under.

I think an open tracker roller suspension would be much cheaper & perform just as well as this.

#5 · (Edited)
Eyeballing it, I see:

a) Very narrow inner pivot spacing.

b) Lots of exposed rod ends and spherical bearings.

The former is bad as a general rule of suspension design, and the latter is IMO a bad idea in a street suspension both for NVH and durability reasons.

That lower crossmember attachment appears to hang the entire steering and suspension loading off the two wimpy tack-welded LCA pivots, you lose the stock lower crossmember and nothing replaces it (much less tying the LCA pivots to the subframe rails like the Cobra Automotive/Boss 302 mod crossmember.)

I don't much like that at ALL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.