T5 in, speedo question - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #16 (permalink)

yea my local shop grooves it, thanks for the carbide tip

the middle photo is a t5 off a late model sn95 v6, the first pic was just a generic shot off the web
-66 mustang 5.0 custom comp cam roller, edelbrock performer heads, airgap/670 carb,holley blue pump,2005 mustang discs, t5z trans with clutch cable, 130 amp taurus alt. 1996 explorer 373 8.8 rear, open tracker roller suspension, solid adj strut rods and more
-72 maverick 302 undergoing FULL resto
v8only is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 12:46 AM   #17 (permalink)

V8only, have you ever used the S-10 extension housing to adapt the T5 to an early Falcon or Fairlane? Gives you that forward shifter location. What speedo gear and cable combination do you use?

For carbide drills, look up KBC tools and search for Hard Roc drills. The straight flute variety works great on the case hardened shafts. If you have a drill press and Vee blocks you should be able to do it in your own shop.

Don
PrecisionTrans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #18 (permalink)

i'd be so lucky to have a shop doing this for a living. When I referred to "my shop" rather I meant the location I get my supplies from.

I'm unfortunately just a small time guy in his garage who builds t5's for my broke local mustang forum friends...lol I think I've just about covered all of california from LA to Orange County to Inland empire....I don't really charge much though, as it's just side cash for my projects...

You've got me on the tail shaft extension for the s10, I've neither done one, nor heard of that until now. Do you have any pictures?

as far as speedo gears go, I usually try and always put the yellow one inside, unless the customer has no plans for anything other than 3.27's at the most, then I'll leave the green one in. I believe I used yellow and speedo cable red for my 373's, and the yellow/white for my 2.73 (fox)/2.80 (66 coupe)...forget the tooth count off the top of my head...speedo's were all fairly accurate.

The strangest t5 I put together, or rather strangest combo was for a guy in big bear running a 66 plymouth barracuda with a slant six. He was also installing a turbo kit, and had adapted the late model ford coil pack as his ignition, and had attached a metal gear to the front of his engine for the crankshaft sensor. Fun little car, but I think I've long since lost the pictures. He just ran a fox bell and standard wc mustang t5, and it lined up with his trans tunnel, if I remember pretty much spot on.
-66 mustang 5.0 custom comp cam roller, edelbrock performer heads, airgap/670 carb,holley blue pump,2005 mustang discs, t5z trans with clutch cable, 130 amp taurus alt. 1996 explorer 373 8.8 rear, open tracker roller suspension, solid adj strut rods and more
Old 10-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #19 (permalink)

If you want an up front shifter location for T5. Here is another option.

Tiger Performance Products

Scroll down the page to see the kit. Tom Hall cast a custom tail shaft for a T5. This puts the shifter in the correct location for a Sunbeam Tiger. Since the Tiger used the trans from the early Fairlanes it will work for them as well.
Asm109 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8only View Post
forgive the very large picture, I'm on a real ancient computer, as my primary broke...

here is a shot of my t5 with electronic speedo...I'm holding the electronic sensor, and you can see the mechanical speedo gear inside

and here, if you cut a small slit, you can adapt the mainshaft and put a plastic mechanical speedo gear back on

i dint get the pic? do i need to take all apart?

T5 with Hydraulic clutch
302 ported & bored .40
petronix II & flame coil
short 96 headers flowmaster with X pipe
planning a DIY subframe & track bars

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/r...g/img_2318.jpg
juit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #21 (permalink)

Wow That's pretty much all I'm thinking right now. Here's why.

I recently joined this forum because I'm (hopefully) close to beginning my search for a 66 V8 coupe which is to become my daily driver after I relocate to the Charlotte area from the snow/salt belt. Why drive a mundane current car if I don't have to?

I'm not unfamiliar with the car as I did a substantial amount of the restoration on my son's 66GT coupe. (My ID pic is one of the before pics, and his, 66GTcoupe on this forum is an after pic)

Yes, I am getting around to why by the way.

As part of the work I did, I did not do any drivetrain work, and as I begin my search, I'm trying to hone in on my search parameters. A big one is a manual tranny. If I find a car that has one, that's great. If not, we were talking (today) about what it might take to go with a T5. I said to him that I'll bet the Mustang forum will have a ton of knowledgable guys who've done just that.

So I decided today was a good time to pop back in & look around, and the first thing I saw was this thread.

Bottom line...I guess I joined the right forum. Looks like if I need to go that route, I'll find lots of support here. This is so great.
Now, to begin my search.
66GtCoupesdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #22 (permalink)

Juit what are you trying to do. What transmission are you using etc.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionTrans View Post
Starting in 1999, the T5s behind V6 engines switched from a mechanical speedo drive to an electronic one. A tone ring replaced the drive gear, located behind the 5th speed gear location. If you want to use one of these units with a speedo cable, some machining will be necessary.
Well, since the 94-up T5 requires major modification, and the 86-93 requires none at all, the easy answer is to use the trans that actually fits.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #24 (permalink)

To modify the output shaft from a digital speedo car at a . Min the tail shaft will have to come off exposing the output shaft so u can cut it for the speedo
Old 02-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
Well, since the 94-up T5 requires major modification, and the 86-93 requires none at all, the easy answer is to use the trans that actually fits.
what major modifications are you speaking of? 94-98 fits better than 83-93, the conversion crossmembers are available, and speedo isnt an issue until 99+. 94-98 also has a more desirable clutch fork position than earlier t5 for header clearance.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8only View Post
To modify the output shaft from a digital speedo car at a . Min the tail shaft will have to come off exposing the output shaft so u can cut it for the speedo
exactly, everyone needs to know 99+ is the only ones that need this done, they also require a different crossmember.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.