Cheapest way to repair torn vinyl? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cheapest way to repair torn vinyl?

I picked up a car I want to flip, it has torn vinyl on the seats, I'd rather not cover them, any tips on doing some patch work? Black tape? I thought there were repair kits out there. I'm going to do some more research, but figured someone on here may have a bright idea.

See my Christian T Shirts!
gijoe985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Were they torn by accident, or age?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe985 View Post
I picked up a car I want to flip, it has torn vinyl on the seats, I'd rather not cover them, any tips on doing some patch work? Black tape? I thought there were repair kits out there. I'm going to do some more research, but figured someone on here may have a bright idea.
To repair the vinyl you have a few options. I did some repair work on a boat I have where the seams had seperated. I went to a marine repair place and picked up some heavy uphostery thread and the corresponding needles. We took the cushions apart and restitched them. They look as good as new. If your problem is similar you might consider this option. If the damage is torn seats nowhere near the seams you could do this. However fresh uphostery - done by you - will be easy to recoup on the sale. Nasty seats will turn off a buyer.
vipex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Repair vinyl upholstery in your car

Found that... It was helpful.

See my Christian T Shirts!
gijoe985 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

When I was young a cure for noisy tranny or rear axle was mixing in a couple cups of sawdust with the lube. Try some gorrilla tape on the seats. Cheap fixes help a lot for future referals!

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Aren't there laws against that sawdust trick?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

did a quick youtube search and there are many impressive products on the market, look at some of them and see what suits your needs

http://1966mustang.files.wordpress.c...forum-sig1.jpg
Check out my blog - My 1966 Mustang
199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
Aren't there laws against that sawdust trick?
That was B4 dirt, when there was no law against turning odometers back and no law against cheating people! Now the feds have fixed everything! LOL!

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 04:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

i have 2 tears in the back seat of my cars vinyl. it is ripped at the seam. and i have 2 rips in my carpet as well. you guys think i should just sew them up.
steven65stang2893speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

there is a trick to patch up a carpet also on youtube seems really easy to fix, as for the rip at the seam maybe if you had a picture then we can probably suggest something

Old 02-06-2011, 03:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

hey 199 you can find it under the problem section of my car build on this site. just click on the link in my signature it is on their.
steven65stang2893speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven65stang2893speed View Post
hey 199 you can find it under the problem section of my car build on this site. just click on the link in my signature it is on their.
The carpets should be and easy task follow the same concept as the videos make sure u put something underneath the carpet in one of the videos the guy puts an x-ray film, you can use a rubber or plastic pieces, dont use paper or cardboard, cut out a small pieces of carpet from a hidden location like under the seat. You can use a brush instead of the roller that there using to blend it the weaves when done.

Or you can buy one for $135

----------

As for the spit in the rear seat its difficult to tell if u can sew that same piece back on, I dont know if the sewing thread is gone or if the vinyl is ripped were the sewing used to be, either way you will need to remove the seat and the cover themselves if you want a clean repair, might need no insert a new pieces, or if you want an easier way you can use the same concept as the carpet by buying a strip or piece of vinyl and placing it under the covers without removing it. If thats not what your looking for then you might be better of getting a new front and rear cover kit for $180

Let me know if you still need help

Old 02-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've had good lick repairing vinyl by using duct tape on the under side, pull the two sides of the tear together tight (taped on the back side), and then apply super glue gel on the seam.
Semi Pro Touring 67 Mustang Convertible * Mild 5.0 EFI * AOD * 68 8" rear end * Aeroform R&P * Open tracker roller perches * Arning Drop * 560 LB 1" lowering front springs * 1.25 front sway bar * Koni front, Grab a track rear shocks * 15x7 Shelby 10 spoke 4.25" BS and 225-60-15 http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=9f637753c1
brianstrange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

Nothing you do is going to work for very long. Tape will get gooey in the sun and come loose. The vinyl is ripped at the seams and there is no seam left to stitch up and there is not enough slack to pull the remaining material together plus 45 year old vinyl is just going to rip loose again after you stitch it.

There is so much strain on the seat vinyl when you sit on it that there are no good options.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

For tears and holes in vinyl the best product in the entire world is called Tear Aid. Do a google for it. This stuff works wonders. You will be able to see it slightly if you look hard. I actually repaired the liner of my in ground pool with this stuff. Again...it works.
70coupegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.