Clutch linkage pictures, or assembly schematics - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Clutch linkage pictures, or assembly schematics

I'm looking for a schematic type picture of all the clutch linkage for the 1967 model year, and a 4 speed. I'm in the process of getting parts to rebuild mine, and the parts they have seem confusing. Any help would be great. Thanks!

My 67' Coupe project...http://photobucket.com/lime67
Big Perm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you tell Glazier/Nolan what you need, they'll do the list for you.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
If you tell Glazier/Nolan what you need, they'll do the list for you.
Ok. But for my personal knowledge, it would be nice to know what's what. Thanks!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Have you look at the '67 Ford shop manual. Although not great pics it was of help to me as I bought my car all in a box, lots missing.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

My portable hard drive crashed so I don't have too many pictures of the linkage installed.

Here are all the parts from my manual transmission '67. The top rod in the picture connects to the hole adjacent to it on the Z bar. At the bottom of the picture, there is a bar which connects to the other side of the Z bar and the pedal assembly. The small bracket with two bolt holes mounts to the frame rail on the driver side below the steering column. The tube section of the Z bar slides on to it and the other side of the z bar tube is attached to the block using the ball shaped piece.

Everything is laid out in the picture as it is installed in the car. This is the best I have. I hope it helps.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jg1oGqHrYL...0/100_3043.JPG
67TXStang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67TXStang View Post
My portable hard drive crashed so I don't have too many pictures of the linkage installed.

Here are all the parts from my manual transmission '67. The top rod in the picture connects to the hole adjacent to it on the Z bar. At the bottom of the picture, there is a bar which connects to the other side of the Z bar and the pedal assembly. The small bracket with two bolt holes mounts to the frame rail on the driver side below the steering column. The tube section of the Z bar slides on to it and the other side of the z bar tube is attached to the block using the ball shaped piece.

Everything is laid out in the picture as it is installed in the car. This is the best I have. I hope it helps.

Perfect! And thanks to your picture and doing some research, i've realized that the clutch pedal rod that i have (it came with the car) is for a 69-70 mustang. It's straighter in shape compared to the one pictured above.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Since we are on the subject, i now know that the strange little bracket that attaches with the 2 bolts from the parking brake assembly is for the z bar spring. But where on the z bar does the spring attach? is there a hole or "ear" somewhere?

Also, has anybody seen or used this kit before? http://www.barillarospeed.net/products.html

Old 02-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here is a diagram of the linkage for a '65, the '67 will be similar.

Also, if you are not going for the concourse restoration, upgrading the linkage is well worth it. OpenTracker also sells a full roller clutch linkage or you can build your own.

Here is my linkage set up:

Tim
T-5 world class 5 speed, w/ .80 OD
9" with 3.70's & T-loc
4 wheel Wilwood disc brakes
17" CL-205's, 225/45 & 255/40
TCP/Global West suspension
OpenTracker roller spring perches
subframe connectors, Panhard bar
TCP manual rack & pinion
Power door/window locks w/ keyless entry
Driven, not pampered
Tims65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

You asked about the spring which attaches to the firewall... there is an extra hole at the top of the Z bar which the spring connects to. There is a similar hole at the bottom for a secondary spring which attaches to the transmission fork.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jg1oGqHrYL...0/100_3043.JPG
67TXStang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2011, 11:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just finished my swap to a Toploader from a C4. Here's a pix of my set up for my 66. A little different in appearance but basically the same. I would strongly suggest doing away with the stock pot metal hats and nylon bushings in the pedal hanger and go for roller bearings like either Scott Drake or mustangsteve.com did for me. I made my own linkage with rod ends too. I'm showing the stock linkage in comparison

Here's the pedal hanger

Oh, one last thing. The Toploader's speedo cable goes in the passenger side of the tailhousing so naturally the cable is longer. In addition the cable goes through the fire wall in a different location. It goes through the trans tunnel just to the right of the gas pedal and about even with the top of the pedal and about 1.5" from the firewall. I took a picture when I did my swap but can't seem to locate it. The hole is 7/8" in diameter. I used a Greenlee electrical chassis punch meant for 1/2" electrical fittings. You can just as well use a Unibit. I bought a rubber grommet from the hardware store to protect the cable from chaffing on the metal. I put a slit in it as well other wise you won't get the speedo cable through.

Rehab is for quiters!

Huskinhano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.