Value of a unmolested 66 289 C code motor - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Value of a unmolested 66 289 C code motor

I bought a 66 Mustang parts car last week. It appears to have an unmolested, all original, never disassembled motor. The motor turns over but the carb is gummed up. It sat for years. The exhaust manifold looks as if it was never removed from the engine, all tabs and washers are in place. So what I have is a 289, 2V, standard bore and I'm wondering what's the value of the motor.

This would be a good shell for someone looking to do a I6 to V8/5 bolt wheel conversion, since it has a complete drive train, 2.80 rear. and C4 transmission. I thought about restoring it at first but there was to much frame and roof rust. The good parts were all under the hood, such a complete power steering setup that doesn't leak and a 16:1 steering box without free play. I am going to install it in my 64 1/2 coupe. My wife asked me why do I get the power steering when she asked me to put a PS setep in her 65 Conv 6 Cylinder. I told her the power steering linkage from a V8 won't bolt on to a 6 cylinder Mustang. I believe I'm correct.
tom991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member

bout $500.00. i have TWO 65 289 4V engines and TWO 66 289 4V engines that were pulled from wrecked mustangs back in the mid 70's and have ben under a shed,garage, & now barn ever since. they are complete with aircleaner and were never to my knowledge dissasymbled(< i know i misses spelld that wurd). i fugured if i ever sold them i would ask $500.00 each cause thats what a good 302-460 complete core with carb goes for nowdays. i would probably sell em now but they b in missippi in my aunts barn out in the sticks and i b rite here in cali. ask $550.00 cause they will always want to talk ya down and stop at 500. p.s. i forgot to tell ya i poured some quarts of oil down both sides of the carb way back when and made shure the crankcase was full. my dad has always turned then a few times and still does when he goes to my aunts. he has 2 200 6 cyl engines stored there. the barn is bout 1/4 mile from the little road and out of sight and gaurded by sum meen dawgs !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barn door car.jpg (14.9 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by supershifter2; 02-17-2011 at 12:40 AM.
supershifter2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

My .02 is for any small block (not rare ones) that has miles on it but YOU never hear run but complete is only worth couple hundred. If you're not looking for orig and not going to do rebuild yourself, a crate mtr can be a good pick.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom991 View Post
I bought a 66 Mustang parts car last week. It appears to have an unmolested, all original, never disassembled motor. The motor turns over but the carb is gummed up. It sat for years. The exhaust manifold looks as if it was never removed from the engine, all tabs and washers are in place. So what I have is a 289, 2V, standard bore and I'm wondering what's the value of the motor.
If you are lucky and it has the original FoMoCo radiator in it, I am Intersted in just the radiator.

Please let me know.
bryancobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryancobb View Post
If you are lucky and it has the original FoMoCo radiator in it, I am Intersted in just the radiator.

Please let me know.
The car didn't have a radiator when I got it. I think the scrap yard got it for the copper content.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

I usually sell core 289 engines for $400 - 500 depending on how complete they are.
vamustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Great thread,I've been toying with starting a thread to give an idea as to how to price some of my "spare parts" as I would love to scale back on some of my excess without scrapping stuff. This is not meant as A hijack,but I'm curious as well.So I have the same basic engines Unbored C and a couple of A codes that spin freely most of these came out of parts cars and have been oiled,bagged and sitting on industrial shelving in a dry basement for 15-20 years.That said I understand on the pricing but what is the typical rate for long blocks without intakes(I throw out 2bbl intakes for space reasons),carbs, and distributors,basically complete short blocks with heads? More importantly what is the best way to sell them? My predicament, I currently have 10 and I dream of having a more reasonable 2 .Being that I pay good money for my stuff I'd love to recoup something, so I'd prefer to not junk them. Basically I'm looking for a quick and painless way to move several. Thoughts? Thanks
66HPGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66HPGT View Post
I currently have 10 and I dream of having a more reasonable 2 .Being that I pay good money for my stuff I'd love to recoup something, so I'd prefer to not junk them. Basically I'm looking for a quick and painless way to move several. Thoughts? Thanks
I have a spare engine for my 64 1/2 because of the rarity of 5 bolt blocks. I also think that complete, unmolested 289s are rare too. Most have been disassembled at one point or another. Ford didn't use an exhaust manifold gasket on stock 289s. It's been my experience that once you remove and/or replace the exhaust manifold, it will leak without a gasket.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have a 52K C code and C4 that have never been apart and worked perfectly. I have every receipt from when the car was new until it was taken off the road in 1984. I HAD a video of the car doing donuts in the cul-de-sac before I pulled the engine, but I let someone borrow my camcorder, and the idiot grabbed MY tape and recorded over it. Right now the plan is a 5.0 EFI and T5, so I have a decision to make at some point.

John
http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ngdriveway.jpg
a two legged hole shot, even with a munged up carb and snow tires...
John_Del is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

What it's worth depends on finding the right buyer. I have a complete original 289 with a C4 behind in a 67 Fairlane. I don't even know if it will turn over but if somebody offered me $400.00 it would be gone in a heartbeat.
danrclem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

I believe it all depends on the situation.I sold a correct date coded short block to a friend a while back for $150 and just not long ago sold a 66 correct date coded long block to a restorer for $550. It just really depends on where the two minds meet.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Today I did a compression test all cylinders except for No. 5 Cylinder had 130 lbs of compression. Number 5 had only 90 lbs. I only ran this from a cold engine because there is no radiator. I did start the engine a couple of times and ran it for about 30 seconds each time. It sounded ok and didn't smoke. But the engine has sat for a long time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010406.JPG (78.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM2445.jpg (95.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM2463.jpg (96.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM2464.jpg (92.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM2462.jpg (96.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM2461.jpg (93.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM2460.jpg (95.1 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by tom991; 02-18-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 02-18-2011, 06:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Default Patience = Most

If you are willing to clean it up, post ALL the details (casting numbers, tag #'s, carb tag #'s, and dates, etc.) and hold it until THE buyer comes along that needs EXACTLY what you have, you could possibly get $1000.
bryancobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

I guess I'm on the other side of this fence, or just plain lucky because I have bought and sold a few complete oil pan to air cleaner motors; Bought 150-250, sold 350-400. Right now I have a 66 that is missing some accessories and the air cleaner, and a 67 that may or may not go into my wife's car depending on what I find on the tear down of what's in it right now. The C3 heads are the first clue to 'kludge.' As far as date code correct stuff, you really need to find that one buyer. I have a pile of 2V manifolds. Can't give them away and hate to turn them in for scrap.
Someone takes his pants off and the rafters knock
Rock is dead they say
Long Live Rock!
67 conv. 289 4spd(mine), 67 coupe 289 Export(swmbo's)

ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

I know this isn't my thread, but I am looking for a December 1966 date coded 289 block/heads and 4V intake for my Jan 18 build date (Dearborn) 67 A code fastback.

I know it is probably a needle in a haystack, but thought it was worth a try.
Ryan Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.