9 inch reared big bearing vs. small bearing tech question - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
I won a special award

Default 9 inch reared big bearing vs. small bearing tech question

I know what the differeneces are between the small and big bearing 9" rear ends. My question is, are there any performance advantages to using a big bearing rearend vs. a small bearing one? I have a 9" truck housing that I'm narrowing and building up to use in my Mustang. My disc brake setup is for a small bearing rearend. I would rather stay with the small bearing ends for cost, but will upgrade to big bearing ends if there is a performance advantage.
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Performance advantage, I don't think so. I went with the big bearing so the FORD Racing rear disc brake kit would fit.

65 FB Family owned since new
Build pics: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sub-frame.html

66 Convert-Heidts-351W-AOD-3.40 Posi
Build pics: www.stangfix.com/index.php?topic=11220.0

67 FB Anti-Eleanor
Build pics: www.stangfix.com/index.php?topic=8928.0

Cars & Coffee

Lucas HVAC
Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Probably a strength issue as most of the big bearing stuff was used on larger vehicles.

Shaun
www.streetortrack.com
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
I won a special award

Kinda what I thought Shaun. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something staying with a small bearing setup. Until recently I never realized how much beefier the truck 9" housings were versus the Mustang 9" housings. Just ordered small bearing ends and a back brace. This should be a killer rearend when I'm done.

My 3rd member

Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Last edited by Maxum96; 03-09-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

I always go with big bearing housings and axles if the car has a decent amount of HP. The small bearing axles, regardless of spline count, are no bigger than a regular 8" axle. Most axles always break at the bearing, not the splines. Also, the small bearing housings are light duty, and the housing will distort where the spring perches weld to the housing. I avoid small bearing housings and axles like the plague, as they don't belong on a high HP car.
F15Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
I won a special award

Well, I'm using a truck housing. So it's much more stout than the car housing. The difference is very noticeable when you place the two housings together. And I have 31 spline Moser axles. They are the same as diameter as the big bearing axles. The bearing seat area is just about .15 of an inch smaller. So I'm not worried about strength of the axle shafts or the housing, I just wanted to know if anyone was aware of a performance advantage to big bearing over small. Because my rear disk brake setup is for small bearing, I want to stay with the small bearing unless using small bearings are going to hurt me.

Last edited by Maxum96; 03-09-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxum96 View Post
Well, I'm using a truck housing. So it's much more stout than the car housing. The difference is very noticeable when you place the two housings together. And I have 31 spline Moser axles. They are the same as diameter as the big bearing axles. The bearing seat area is just about .15 of an inch smaller. So I'm not worried about strength of the axle shafts or the housing, I just wanted to know if anyone was aware of a performance advantage to big bearing over small. Because my rear disk brake setup is for small bearing, I want to stay with the small bearing unless using small bearings are going to hurt me.
Make absolutely sure that Moser did not sell you their small housing axle bearing conversion. What they do is sell an axle that has the same diameter as the big bearing axle, but with a conversion bearing that will allow it to fit a small bearing housing. Their conversion bearing WILL FAIL in as little as 500 miles because the balls inside the bearing are way too small. Moser will not tell you this, but I fix two or three rear ends a year with those crappy bearings from Moser. I only use Dutchman axles now.
F15Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
I won a special award

Thanks for the info. They have the standard small bearing size seat area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.