Oil change for a '65 - ??? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Oil change for a '65 - ???

Can anyone tell me the oil capacity including the filter, and the recommended weight?

Thank you...
mustangkevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Administrator

5 quarts.
Stan
President BAMA 2012-
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/
NorCal Forum

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

as hot as it gets in So Cal, I would recommend the same oil I use: Mobil 1 15w-50. Great wear protection and no worries about having enough zinc.

Z.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

V8 5 qts with filter. 6 cyl 4 1/2 qts with filter. Ford recommended 10w-30 which is what I still use in my 68 original engine. Keep in mind for EPA zinc has been drastically reduced in motor oils. It's a good idea to add some cam/lifter protection additive. I use cam shield.Go to Cam Shield cam-shield premium ZDDP antiwear protection for camshafts, lifters and valve trains in your classic car or hot rod for info and purchase info.
Today's engines with roller cam/lifters are designed for the new oils.

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.

Last edited by slim; 03-08-2011 at 02:39 PM.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

My engine makes alot of lifter noise when cold if I use 15w-50. It likes Valvoline VR1, 10W-30, which as mentioned, was the recommended weight.
BTW: The first number is the cold viscosity and the only number that is influenced by
outside air temps (if your cooling system is working properly). A lower number flows better when cold. A high second number like 50 (hot viscosity) is usually ment for racing applications but can be good for older engines since tolerances are greater than modern engines.
Unfortunatly the EPA took our ZDDP out of regular oil and one of the few oils that has enough for our flat tappet engines is Val VR1 racing oil (all weights) and Mobile 1 in 15w-50 weight only. To get enough Zddp with your brand of normal oil you will have to add it.
Goto cam-shield.com to read more.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

I usually use Valvoline vr1 20-50 and i add Comp Cams Engine Break-In Oil Additive as an extra and i use a Ford motorcraft FL-1A filter
1966 Ford Mustang C-Code: 302 w/ holley 600cfm 4bbl, C4, factory A/C, edelbrock rpm performer manifold, comp cam, 3.93 gears,longtube headers, 2.5" exhaust, thrush glasspacks, petronix ignition/MSD blaster 2 coil, 15" torq thrusts, front discs, shelby drop, monroe gas shocks, red int painted mercedes black Jan 2011. NEW video!)
http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/...C03754copy.jpg
First Mustang- Owned since June 24, 2010 when I was 18.

Last edited by AKM92; 03-08-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: oil filter addition
AKM92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKM92 View Post
I usually use Valvoline vr1 20-50 and i add Comp Cams Engine Break-In Oil Additive as an extra and i use a Ford motorcraft FL-1A filter
Better to get the right amount, Zddp should be around 1200-1600ppm. I have read you can put in too much ZDDP and gunk-up the engine and even start pitting metal surfaces. VR1 already has 1300ppm.

Last edited by 1971mach1; 03-09-2011 at 11:55 AM.
1971mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971mach1 View Post
Better to get the right amount, Zddp should be around 1200-1600ppm. I have read you can put in too much ZDDP and gunk-up the engine and even start pitting metal surfaces. ............"
I have researched and found the same information.

So know how much zinc your preferred oil has AND how much your zinc additive will raise that amount. CamShield isthe only additive I know of that provides a formula to accurately measure and arrive at the target zinc level.

Z.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

ha i live in californi as well. i run 5 quarts. K&N oil filter, the oil i run is Joe Gibs racing oil it is mainly break in oil but use it anyway(even though i am still in break in). Joe Gibs uses the same oil to break in his nascar engines. i will go look at the weight and tell you guys cause i forgot. now i remember i remember why i forgot i just looked at it and it doesnt say. probubly 15W-30 didnt seem that heavy. 7$ a quart at least that is better than 10$ a quart for royal purple jeez.
steven65stang2893speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just buy any weight/any type you want at the local auto parts store (maybe $2), check the ZDDP level and ad the correct amount of Camshield (maybe a 50 cents to a dollars worth) and you have the perfect blend. I run 20W-50 - but it is a summer only car, which gets few miles and high rpms.
5R08A, "298"(+.060, 6,000+ rpm), T-10, Crane XR-i, Disc (F), Dual Master, Heim Strut Rods - Spherical Bearing LCAs, Roller Perches, Arning Drop, 1" & 75" Anti-Sway Bars, Export & Monte Carlo, "functional" hood scoop, and GW Subframes.

Victory Red, Eagle Wheels, Power Antenna, White Int. w/ Black trim, Right & *Left* Indicators, Tach, Cruise, and a Glass Rear Window.

http://i1325.photobucket.com/albums/...psb38dc213.jpg
JSHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.