Symptoms of Master Cylinder leaking? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Symptoms of Master Cylinder leaking?

Hey guys,

When a master cylinder starts leaking internally with power brakes, does the brake fluid run down the firewall and drip on the floor OR does the fluid leak into the power booster and get sucked into the engine by the vacuum line?

I've got a case of disappearing brake fluid and I'm trying to figure out what is going on.

Phil

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
HoosierBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierBuddy View Post
Hey guys,

When a master cylinder starts leaking internally with power brakes, does the brake fluid run down the firewall and drip on the floor OR does the fluid leak into the power booster and get sucked into the engine by the vacuum line?

I've got a case of disappearing brake fluid and I'm trying to figure out what is going on.

Phil
First lets get some terminology straight. If a master cylinder leaks internally, it is bypassing and no fluid loss would be noted, just unable to build correct pressures. If master cylinder leaks externally, then it is from either the end seals or the seats for the lines. Since it is pretty easy to see if the lines are leaking, let's assume those are ok. Easiest way is the unbolt master cylinder from the booster and slide back to see if the booster or end of the master cylinder is wet. You do not need to remove the lines if there is enough length in them to bend a little.
just one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Joe

When the master cylinder in my '72 leaked, it ran down the front of the power booster. I replaced it before I experienced any other symptoms!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mine leaked into the booster for a while before I noticed it. Eventually it ruined the diaphram in the booster and I had to replace both.
wilit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Joe

Not to hijack the thread, but is there any way of telling if any gets into the booster? I have been hearing weird noises from that area when I drive, but the brakes work fine (for now).
Old 03-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

what wilit said.....exactly what mine did, eventually started dripping on the drivers side floor...pull the vacuum line from the booster and plug it with your thumb, see if the engine runs better, if it does your diaphragm is shot, mine was bad and driving the car every day I didn't notice it, what a difference after I replaced it!

malarson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

I have pulled the vacuum port off the booster and dipped whatever was handy down in there to see if it came back out wet. One time I found about a pint of fluid in the booster and used a suction gun to draw the brake fluid out. I then sprayed alcohol all in it to rinse it then drew that back out too. With a new master cylinder the booster seems to have survived, that was about two years ago. It wasn't a Ford, but the same thing can happen on many vehicles.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I have pulled the vacuum port off the booster and dipped whatever was handy down in there to see if it came back out wet. One time I found about a pint of fluid in the booster and used a suction gun to draw the brake fluid out. I then sprayed alcohol all in it to rinse it then drew that back out too. With a new master cylinder the booster seems to have survived, that was about two years ago. It wasn't a Ford, but the same thing can happen on many vehicles.
Hmmm...

Kind of my worst fear.

Guess I need to do some more investigating. Guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

Phil

Old 03-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well I took my '67 style dual reservoir master cylinder loose from the Trans Am racing booster and I couldn't see any brake fluid in the space between the two. I also took the vacuum line loose from the intake manifold and held it down to see if it had any brake fluid in it. Dry as a bone.

However, I did note that while I had the master cylinder cocked back at an angle, some fluid dripped out around the cap. The cap gasket is in poor shape and is definitely allowing some fluid to leak out (during cornering/acceleration/decelleration). I don't know if that could be significant enough to cause the car to leak an ounce of brake fluid out every few months, but it's all I saw so I've ordered a new gasket.

Most of the fluid disappearing has been out of the rear brake section of the reservoir.

I've checked the rear brakes and the lines leading to the rear brakes and I can find no leaks.

I'll replace the gasket and continue to monitor.

Phil

Old 03-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

If it's gone out of the rear resevoir, it's time to pull the drums and look. A wheel cylinder can leak a little and make a big mess inside the drum without ever actually dripping out of the brake assembly. But if you have 4 wheel disks on that thing, nevermind.
In my case, the vacuum line to the booster never drew up any fluid, it all just puddled in the bottom of the booster. Hence me having to use a "dipstick" to find it.

Last edited by GypsyR; 03-28-2011 at 10:53 AM.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierBuddy View Post
Most of the fluid disappearing has been out of the rear brake section of the reservoir.

I've checked the rear brakes and the lines leading to the rear brakes and I can find no leaks.
Don't forget that the rear reservoir is usually plumbed to the front brakes and vise versa.

Dave

68 GT Vert - J Code (1st car I ever drove in '73, dad bought it in '71)
67 C Code Vert Sports Sprint (1st car I ever bought in '75)
06 Vista Blue with Pony Package (1st Mustang I ever bought new)
MCA #49294 Grayson, GA (Atlanta)
daves67ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Mine did that too. Need to mess with the clip to tighten lid. Problem solved.
palerider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.