66 200ci 6cyl w/ 3sp manual trans ? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 66 200ci 6cyl w/ 3sp manual trans ?

I'm at the point of my restoration where I need to send the tranny out to have it rebuilt. Just had the motor redone and the transmission is next. It has the non synchro 3 speed which I believe is referred to in the shop manual as the 2.77. It was rebuilt 37 years ago when I purchased the car and then 7 years later after 60-70k more miles. It's not seen any miles in the last 20+ years but just before I parked it I knew it needed attention again. When asking around for a reputable mechanic, a distance acquaintance suggested I might want to upgrade to the synchronized version. He had done something similar on his 66 and it required changing a few parts so it would bolt up correctly but he said the big advantage was it would last much longer than the 2.77. A 200k transmission versus a 60k mile if you will. I don't mind the non syncro because that's all I've ever known with it and want to keep it as stock as possible but the durabilty has me questioning how to go about upgrading to the 3.03 synchronized. Seems like when I bought the car my dad and I looked high and low for transmissions to replace the bad one that was in it. They were plentiful except none of them would bolt up correctly. Obviously we were not comparing apples to apples and being more familiar with mustangs now I realize we did not have a grasp on what we were looking for but at the same time I realize there is more to it than meets the eye. Can you guys shed some like on my predicament and suggest a path forward?
3speedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 02:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

well i have the 3.03 fully syncroed and i love it am not going to swap any time soon. but i will tell you right off the bat that the 2.77 and 3.03 are completely diffrent driving styles expecialy if you have a non sycro version. let me know if you had any questions about the 3.03 i am also helping some others as well.
steven65stang2893speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Please elaborate on "driving style". I guess I'm looking for verification that the 3.03 is a much stronger transmission than the 2.77 and it's worth the extra legwork and aggravation to upgrade from the 2.77.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

The 2.77 is a simple, lightweight transmission so simple a child could rebuild it. I know, because I rebuilt the one in my first Mustang when I was 17.

I've change a number of these to the 3.03 3-speed, simple in a 66, because all you need is a 67-70 6 cylinder bellhousing, clutch disc, transmission, linkage rods, and a C5ZZ conversion slip yoke.

However, this conversion is now obsolete, because:

By getting a clutch disc, adapter plate, conversion crossmember, conversion shift lever and knob, and the C5ZZ conversion slip yoke, you can install a T5 5-speed transmission, and your car will accelerate quicker, and get better mileage.

Last edited by 22GT; 03-26-2011 at 12:08 PM.
22GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've done a number of these swaps.I have one car that is a 66 6 cyl sprint convertible. I did the swap years ago,I love it, I actually did the whole car 5 lug,8 inch rear the whole deal,but left it a six.I wanted it heavy duty . I understand and agree with the T5 swap but if you aren't going to use the car a ton,it can get a a bit spendy. A 6 cyl. with a 3 speed trans is easily capable of pulling mid 20's mpg (or better)on the highway.So that said if you were too look around you can find a deal on the swap pieces for the 3.03 conversion. Whereabouts are you located? Perhaps someone local to you has stuff laying around? Regardless I would not stay with the 2.77.

I also own two 65-66 v8 cars with the 3.03 transmissions in them. They are good reliable strong transmissions.
66HPGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

The original transmission is noted for having lead bearings and glass gears. I converted my daughter's '66 years ago after I got tired of replacing clutches and repairing the worthless transmission. If you can find a '68 donor car - that is what I would do.

I have the article from a very old Mustang Monthly on how to do it. PM me if you would like me to send a copy.

Another alternative would be to go to a C-4 and put an end to transmission problems. It should last forever and make driving and maintenance more fun. Just my $0.852 worth (inflation adjusted).
SWMBO's '66 Coupe 289, 2-V, C-4(Pony Interior, Rally Pac, A/C & Tiffany Stripe) & An absolutely rust free '65 289-2V C-4 coupe project now UPGRADED to about 99.78%. Now only a few more days. Well, since the fuel fire, add about another month to that. SWMBO says it failed the "Smoke Test". Only took 13+ years.
Gas_Pumps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback. It's right on target. Once restored I don't see it going back to daily driver mileage that caused the transmission to breakdown the first 2 times. If I rebuild/have it rebuilt now I don't want to have to do it again anytime soon. That's a key consideration in moving to a 3.03. Hopefully I can find the parts I need locally to accomplish the swap and if not then maybe I pursue the T-5. I'm located close to Charlotte and now have an idea of what to look for. How common are the 3.03's in the 67-70's? Weren't most of those either V8's or automatic?
Old 03-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'd keep my eyes open. The 6 cylinder /3.03 3 speed combo was the standard base drivetrain for 67-70,It seems most Mustangs are v8's these days. You just have to keep yours eyes open for someone with parts or better yet doing a 6 to 8 swap.The last setup I bought(about 1 1/2 years ago)I found through a guy on ebay .He had Mustang parts listed and mentioned that he was going to be doing a swap. I was local I wound up taking a ride,checking the parts out before he removed them,I actually drove the car. A month later he calls me,tells me to come get the parts.I bought the lot for $100. Oh yea he threw in the engine, He claimed he was going to scrap it all anyway.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3speedcoupe View Post
Thanks for the feedback. It's right on target. Once restored I don't see it going back to daily driver mileage that caused the transmission to breakdown the first 2 times. If I rebuild/have it rebuilt now I don't want to have to do it again anytime soon. That's a key consideration in moving to a 3.03. Hopefully I can find the parts I need locally to accomplish the swap and if not then maybe I pursue the T-5. I'm located close to Charlotte and now have an idea of what to look for. How common are the 3.03's in the 67-70's? Weren't most of those either V8's or automatic?
Maybe 1/3, depending on the year, were equipped with the 200 six. Many were sold with the 3.03 trans, since it was no extra cost. The C4 attached to the 200 was an extra $197.89 in 1967, that's over $1200 today!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am doing the same thing except restoring a 3 speed back in and ditching the auto someone put in mine. I picked up a 3.03 for $50 that was still attached to a 200. Guy sold me from the block plate back. I would have dropped $50 just on the bellhousing. One thing to keep in mind is that you will need a new bellhousing for the 67. Will a 67 housing mount on a 66? For some reason I remember the 66 blocks having a different bolt pattern. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

I was going to go T5 but I couldn't pass up this deal to at least get a stick back in the car. Look around, especially with everyone dumping their 3's and 200 for bigger with a T5. Ebay has a bunch right now.
SJHippie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

You raise a good question about the 66 block bolt pattern being compatible with the 67 bellhousing. From the other posts and the popularity of the swap I would guess that it is compatible but if anybody can chime in and confirm that would be great.

I'll check out ebay and see what I can find. The AutoFair swap meet is coming up in a couple of weeks at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. I plan to look there as well and maybe I can find a good one at a great price.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

So how do you tell the difference between a 2.77 and 3.03 transmissions as I’m new to mustangs. I bought a 65 that needed a carb and found a guy that had a 67 with a 6 in it and sold me the complete motor an tranny so could the tranny be a 3.03?
Taters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

the 2.77 has a top cover with 4 bolts. the 3.03 has a top cover with 9 bolts. thats the easyest way to find out. and if it is a 67 it is more than likely a 3.03
Old 03-29-2011, 02:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

well their are two types of transmitions mine is pretty big it is the light duty model. and how do i know this because my code is a RAN so that means a light model so if you want to get the heavy duty model you might want to get one with a RAT code which is the heavy duty transmition that has a bigger 1st gear.
steven65stang2893speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3speedcoupe View Post
You raise a good question about the 66 block bolt pattern being compatible with the 67 bellhousing. From the other posts and the popularity of the swap I would guess that it is compatible but if anybody can chime in and confirm that would be great.

I'll check out ebay and see what I can find. The AutoFair swap meet is coming up in a couple of weeks at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. I plan to look there as well and maybe I can find a good one at a great price.
If your car has it's original 66 block in it then the parts will bolt on no problem(it's what's referred to as a dual bolt pattern block). There was an earlier bolt pattern block that got phased out some time in 1965 that the later bellhousing will not bolt up to.

You will see the bellhousings on ebay, but they tend to be pricier than at a swap meet.If you are in no rush I'd shop around,I've seen the bellhousings with the clutch fork for as little as $10 (last year at Fords at Carlisle).Average price I feel is in the $50 range,I wouldn't pay more than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.