Roller rockers for 70 351C 4V - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Roller rockers for 70 351C 4V

Looking for a solution to roller rockers for a 351C. Installed is a Comp Cams 292H cam.
Wanted comp cams 1411-16 roller rockers so ordered 4503-16 rocker studs. They have a 7/16" base thread and my heads have 5/16" base thread. Comp Cams says they don't have a rocker stud for my heads nor do they have a roller rocker that will work.
Seems odd to me. Anybody have a good solution for roller rockers on these heads? Stock 1970 351C 4V heads. I have a set of 1973 CJ heads and they have the same base thread.
Thanks
dfayette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
I won a special award

351C engines had to different style rockers. Adjustable and bolt down pedestal non adjustable. You have the pedestal mount style. You have to take the heads off and have a machine shop mill the pedestals down. Then you can use the 7/16 studs and rockers.
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfayette View Post
Looking for a solution to roller rockers for a 351C. Installed is a Comp Cams 292H cam.
Wanted comp cams 1411-16 roller rockers so ordered 4503-16 rocker studs. They have a 7/16" base thread and my heads have 5/16" base thread. Comp Cams says they don't have a rocker stud for my heads nor do they have a roller rocker that will work.
Seems odd to me. Anybody have a good solution for roller rockers on these heads? Stock 1970 351C 4V heads. I have a set of 1973 CJ heads and they have the same base thread.
Thanks
Crane makes a kit to convert to adjustable rocker arm. It is not for high spring pressure applications. There are also pedestal mount roller rockers available but they are pricey.

http://www.cranecams.com/311-325.pdf

Yella Terra - Browse all product categories
Old 04-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

i would recomend having the rocker bosses milled and tapped for screw in studs and guide plates. then get a set of 1.73:1 rockers for 7/16" stud. also need hardened pushrods for the giude plates.
supershifter2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks, that all sounds like what I'm looking for.
So do they mill the pedestals down to the current thread level - just taking the two pedestal tabs off? And then drill and tap to the 7/16" thread?

Thanks again
dfayette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Greetings,

Be very careful when purchasing roller rockers for your Cleveland head engine. I don't know if it's still the situation today, but most roller rockers supplied in the past were actually for a Big Block Chevy. Fairly close ratio, but geometry is wrong. The push rod seat or cup is usually at the wrong angle for a Cleveland, and the roller tip is not optimized either. The Yella Terras mentioned above make a Cleveland correct rocker arm, but even they use the same rocker for BBC in their budget series. Do your research carefully.

Don
PrecisionTrans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
I won a special award

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfayette View Post
Thanks, that all sounds like what I'm looking for.
So do they mill the pedestals down to the current thread level - just taking the two pedestal tabs off? And then drill and tap to the 7/16" thread?

Thanks again

They'll mill that pedestal almost all the way off. Then they'll drill and tap for 7/16" thread. Don't mess around with trying to do something using the stock 5/16" bolts. Unless you're running stock valve springs, you'll snap those bolts off. Ask me how I know.

This is what you're heads will look like after being milled,

Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionTrans View Post
Greetings,

Be very careful when purchasing roller rockers for your Cleveland head engine. I don't know if it's still the situation today, but most roller rockers supplied in the past were actually for a Big Block Chevy. Fairly close ratio, but geometry is wrong. The push rod seat or cup is usually at the wrong angle for a Cleveland, and the roller tip is not optimized either. The Yella Terras mentioned above make a Cleveland correct rocker arm, but even they use the same rocker for BBC in their budget series. Do your research carefully.

Don
Good point

BBC vs Ford Rockers - Clevelands Forever!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.