66 GT350 Shelby Replica #6SR377 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 66 GT350 Shelby Replica #6SR377

I never claimed to know much Shelby's but I thought the Shelby SFM# replaced the vehicles original serial number. If so, I thought swapping VIN's was still illegal. 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback Shelby replica 4 Speed 289 Is this legal?
'01 Expedition EB 5.4 Auto
'82 FXWG Shovelhead (kick start only)

"No matter how fine she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her Sh*t!!"
6TSEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

hmm i don't think its legal, if it was a cover for novelty or show then okay, but if its not a shelby and the vin has been tampered with i guess its illegal. price wise seems good, but with the shady vin, I wouldn't want to deal with it if it illegal.

http://1966mustang.files.wordpress.c...forum-sig1.jpg
Check out my blog - My 1966 Mustang
199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Administrator

It says it's a Shelby replica.
Stan
President BAMA 2012-
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/
NorCal Forum

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think this is OK as long as it still registered with the original VIN
66k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

the "SR" was never used by shelby in 65 or 66. i'v seen quite a few mustangs over the years here in lost angeles that have the shelby plate rivited oner the factory vin with a made up shelby looking vin stamped on it. its usually done as a novelty and not to commit fraud. i guy recently sold a 66 gt350 replica and pulled the novelty plate b 4 he sold it. anyone that is looking to by a real shelby should check with SAAC to verify that the car is the real thing b 4 buying. i was think of getting a plate and having "moonshine blocker car" stamped on it. sum people have said i need rest !

Last edited by supershifter2; 04-12-2011 at 07:17 PM.
supershifter2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't think there's a problem with it. I have mine riveted over the vin # and don't consider it tampering with the numbers. Covered up maybe but not tampered with. Afterall the vin's on the passenger fender apron is covered up. Like said earlier it's just a novelty thing with us "wannabes". Mine say's "MY WAY" and doesn't have any numbers.

Last edited by tooponies; 04-12-2011 at 07:56 PM.
tooponies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

I dont think covering the vin location with a tag thats riveted on is a good idea, unless you need a tow.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

What Shelby did was legal, because they were the manufacturer of origin. What the guy on your link did was not legal, because it conceals the legal VIN. Try explaining to the officer that you thought it was groovy to hide the VIN with a pretend VIN plate. Yeah. Good idea.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've been stopped twice transporting my car across 4 states and never had the vin looked at. I've also been stopped by local police and never had one check the vin. I recall a few years ago I was admiring a Shelby clone that was built by a company in Tn. and the ID plate that they used had printed in black ink REPLICA. I don't think law enforcement takes this as seriously as some might think. I'll take my chances, afterall there are some car's running around with replaced aprons that don't show a vin at all.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Only time I have ever seen a VIN taken seriously was on a dealers lot. The SC State Troopers check these constantly with regular surprise visits to used car lots to check VIN's and paperwork. As a buyer, it's up to you to cover your butt.
What bothers me about this ad is what it does not show. Lots of nice photos, but none of the bottom of the car.
with White LeMans stripes.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

I put a badge on too for the novelty, but certainly would not put another # on there that could even have the chance of being taken the wrong way. If the actual VIN on the car matches the pink slip and is being sold that way, his move is ill-advised, but not fraud. P.S. That car is just begging for some lowering blocks in the rear.

GT350R Klone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

On the 65-6's that Shelby tag was riveted over the vin on the driver side. On a 66, there was larger size nos. stamped on pass side apron. That was the real deal-for originality.
Sometime back, bought a 68 GT 350 that was missing engine, trans. Got the tags- door special vehicle tag, shelby tag, buck tag, in an envelope. W/s vin was in place never taken off. Body had been stripped for paint(two "partners" had a falling out"! MY gain

When I called SAAC and got a 68 person, first thing he asked, wanted the vin # on the apron/ same as vin on dash + they knew by no. that it was in the right time frame, etc. Sold the car and the next guy, am sure, registered it officially. Car brought up from Puerto Rico.
At that time, SAAC guy wanted pics of car, macro pic of vin on dash, apron rubbing and pic of it on car, screw hole in apron where buck tag had been plus pic of that AND rub! Pic of dash-which was mint and complete! Glad they were anal about it!
yelostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsGT View Post
Only time I have ever seen a VIN taken seriously was on a dealers lot. The SC State Troopers check these constantly with regular surprise visits to used car lots to check VIN's and paperwork. As a buyer, it's up to you to cover your butt.
What bothers me about this ad is what it does not show. Lots of nice photos, but none of the bottom of the car.
I've heard horror stories to the contrary with Mustangs, especially modified Mustangs. Towing and impounding is the usual result, and even if you prove innocence, the tow truck and impound are usually on you.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.