How much is she worth? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to quikturbo
Default How much is she worth?

Guys, I am thinking of selling my restoration project as I do not and will not have time for it for a very long time. My travel for work is insane and with a 2 and 5yr old girl life is just too busy for me to try and budget time for the car. I'm at a point of looking to sell the project and most likely just buy something completed next year.

The question for you is, what do you think a fair price to sell my project is
1968 Convertible originally 6cyl
Complete rotisserie done on this car.
It's probably easier to say what sheet metal wasn't replaced A-pillar and b-pillars, dash, seat back, and sail panel (since that is not available repro)

New sheet metal:
Front/Rear frame rails
Shock towers
TQ boxes
1pc floor
upper/lower vert supports/seat support
wheel wells
transition pan Over the axle
Firewall
Cowl
custom subframe connetors
trunk floor
Full rear quarters
Trunk deck lid
Full doors
Hood
Fenders
rockers
Rear tail light panel
Headlight buckets
tail panel
front facia

you name it, it's been replaced

Right now it has an 8" rear
AeroForm Rack&pinion steering with Flaming river chrome column and a grand steering wheel, all new.
New shocks, suspension, shelby drop
CSRP disc brake kit (front)
FR500 18" wheels (new yokohama tires) 18x9 rear 18x8 (narrowed) in the front
Grab-a-track 4.5mid eye leafs (lowering blocks)
Roller perches

Underneath was paint matched to what color I decided on, and the trunk and wheel wells have transtar rubberized undercoating.

To go with it:
New black carpet
New door inserts
Heater box/motor
New Tail light lenses and so many more little items, new door handles,etc..

I know I'll never recoop what I have into it thus far, but what would you guys think is possible to net given the above?

Here are some pics of the process
Start

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
quikturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Wow, it looks like you have nearly finished it, the hard parts done anyway and it looks great! I would go ahead and make it a roller with steering if you really want to sell it, I think it would help. I have no clue on the value though, but I would love to have it if I was not involved with a major project of my own..
Old 05-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

You're nearing the home stretch and now you want to sell the car...after all of that work you did?

Think about it a little more.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 05:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

You can list it on ebay classifieds & craigslist for free an how much do you have in it anyway? Why not just keep it in a few years they will be going to school an that would give you some time to finish it you did all this work an took all this time an put all this money in it to see it through an now sell it. How long have you had it?
1fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

These projects can take so long that major life changes can take place during them. If that ends up your final decision, I hope you're able to find the right person. Otherwise you are going to take a royal spanking in this economy.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

I never even dreamed to see this thread! I really hoped you were going to finish it!
At any rate, I think you should keep pecking away at it. And sell it when it's further along. The closer you get to finishing it, the more it will be worth if you decide to sell it, which I hope you don't sell it.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

I can't see the pictures but I am assuming the car needs paint, motor, transmission and lots of the interior.

Unfortunately these are the things that really add to the value of the car. People want to see "pretty".

I figure you might get $10K for the car if you can find somebody that appreciates all the restomod touches. You have to understand that the car needs at least $15K more to get it finished and that is assuming that the buyer does a lot of the assembly. Unless somebody just threw any old motor and transmission in it and went to Maaco. Then maybe $10K more.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Boy do I know how your shoes fit.

I have a 69 Rcode Mach1 that has been sitting since I bought it in 1988.
Well, I pulled the engine and had it rebuild and did a patch on the floorboards and that is about it.

Eventually, I bought a completed Sunbeam Tiger so I would have a fun car to play with. Luckily I have room to keep the other cars.

My boys are now 14 and 16 and I still don't get much time to work on projects.

The younger son is showing interest in getting my other mustang back on the road. That is a 2nd owner 66 coupe that I bought back in 77.

We may start on that this summer.

But enough about me. You are close to finish line in terms of labor hours, but far away from getting max value out of your work.

If you can swing it, I would find a mustang shop to finish the job for me. This may not be that much more money than selling the Stang for a large loss and buying a completed car.
Asm109 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Rolling projects are hard to price. Since it's not a particularly desirable engine code, that hurts the value to some people, but not to others.

I would have to agree with others. Looks like you've done most of the hard work. If life right now doesn't give you the time right now, just wait. I did that with mine. I got burned out and had no desire to work on it for about 2 years. Then life changed and motivation returned. I'm lucky that my 2 year old son already loves to help work on it. Give him a shock wrench and he'll 'tighten' about everything he can find.

Unless money is no object, you'll find that buying a complete car done to the level of detail you've apparently done is going to be wicked expensive.

Just don't rush the decision.

Current
200 CI, T5, Comp Cam 260H ,Dual Exhaust Headers, OZ 250/2V head, Holley 390 4V, DS2 Ignition w/ MSD Digital 6+, GT 5 lug disc brakes, 8" rear end, V-8 Steering

Current Project:
5.0 EFI with Megasquirt, BBK SSI intake Manifold, Trickflow TW170 AL Heads, TF Stage 1 Cam...and a quiet as hell exhaust. Want it to sound like an I6...

"It's not how fast you go...but how go you fast"
CobraSix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

I would list a price with/without wheels and tires. It also depends on how fast you want to sell it and how much effort you want to put into it. I agree with 68R, I'd probably list for $9,900 and then see what the market has to say about it. You could find the right person that has an engine trans ready to go and fits perfect to their needs.

As a project car for me, I would look to be around $6K before I would pry $ out of my pocket.
GT350R Klone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

much appreciated for the feedback guys. It's been consuming my thoughts as of late and it's somewhat counter productive to my daily gig so I have these thoughts going through my mind. I've gone back and forth a million times over lol. I would say the biggest loss I'd be taking would be the hours I have in to it, and that is somewhat painful to think. I may do a test on it on ebay to see, and if it doesn't go I may just look to put it in my mom's garage an hour from me then I don't have to walk by it everyday!

Asm - sounds like a mirror image of my thougths , glad you picked up something to help quench the need to driving a completed car, i've thought about that as well, however I don't have the room and the village is very strict about cars in the driveway, gotta love IL.

In all honesty, 10k wouldn't be too terrible for me however I don't know how realistic it would be to net that, but we all know there is a but for every seat.

I actaully wish I had done some things differently on it too and now too far to redo, like removing the shock towers and doing the coyote motor, and doing a 4link in the rear. Now I couldn't bring myself to tearing up what I've already done.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

oh, and the fear of "nickle and diming" is so true, there are so many little parts to get it's maddening. Like you said John, there is still a good chunk of change necessary to finish her off.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

I may just look to put it in my mom's garage an hour from me then I don't have to walk by it everyday!

This sounds like a great idea! I "looked" at one project for years! You have done an awesome job so far and have so much time into it, it would be a shame to stop now.
RC 65 A Code is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Mine sat untouched for 7 years until I got back on it last June. The progress I have made in one year is amazing considering the little time I have available. Unless you have ADD issues, I vote you hang on to it and wait out life to open a new window of opportunity or you are going to take a shellacking on it at this stage.

Quote:
I actaully wish I had done some things differently on it too and now too far to redo, like removing the shock towers and doing the coyote motor, and doing a 4link in the rear. Now I couldn't bring myself to tearing up what I've already done
LOL!! This is EXACTLY what I did this past month! Just Friday I sold my "New" Canadian Mustang/ American Pony suspension I installed 8 years ago and a few more parts for a little less than I invested, and just got off an e-mail to Rod & Custom ordering the Rear Coilover suspension.

BTW, LOVE the FR-500's on there. I wish I could made a set fit my '66 Fastback. I have them on my '95 listed in my sig line. I have staggered 17X9 & 17X10.5 fit.
with White LeMans stripes.

Last edited by ScottsGT; 05-09-2011 at 01:20 PM.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

I agree with putting it in your mom's garage. I feel like you might regret it down the road if you sell it now.
There's so much work you've put into it with the custom suspension especially, I'd hate to see it go if that were my work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.