Vintage Mustang Forums banner

People with Vinyl Top Coupes

8K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  yelostang 
#1 ·
Hey everybody I hope all is well. I have a quick question.. I'm looking at a 1965 vinyl top coupe and the vinyl top was taken off and the top of the car was painted to match the car. Does taking the vinyl top off the car and making it one solid color like a standard coupe hurt the value of it? I hope this isn't a stupid question just curious too know. Thanks for any info. Take care :thumbsup:

#4 ·
From a strictly technical view: it is one more thing that is not "original" to what the car once was, which means that you'd think it would decrease the value...but it doesn't.

Unless the car is rare and very collectible it won't hurt the value. People that buy these cars are buying them for what they are now, not what they once were. (excluding rare collectibles)

There's like a .1% chance you would come across a prospective buyer that will "mark" your car down for not having a vinyl top when it originally came with one.

#8 ·
I do kind of agree with rdlagray. It is nice to see them they way they were built.

The only way I could see it affecting the value at all is if the car was a thoroughbred concours car that was 100% original.

I could add one to my car, but I don't see it changing the value any. While I do like the looks of them on some cars and think it would look cool on my car, I would rather not have one. They are prone to rusting the roof out.

#10 ·
If your car was built in N.J (2nd digit VIN is a T) the body buck tag might have the vinyl top info.
If you find a build sheet inside the car, it would be on there.

Lastly, a bit of automotive archaeology is in order. The vinyl top had a chrome trim strip running at the base of the B pillar. Pulling back the headliner in that area might show the signs of repair to the mounting holes for that trim. Most likely bondo worms, possibly unfinished weld marks.

#11 ·
When my dad an I redid my car about 15 years ago, I remember seeing what looked like a few small pieces/scraps of vinyl in that area. Sorta under the edge of the headliner if I remember correctly. It was definitely a different material and color than the headliner. I always wondered if it had been an original vinyl top car. Thanks!

#13 ·
If I'm looking for a collector/classic car of any make a vinyl top makes me cautious. Most vinyl tops have rust brewing underneath. Also in many cases (any brand, year or model) the roof transition from quarter panel is poorly done knowing the vinyl will hide it.

If I like the car chances are the vinyl top won't be a deal breaker but it's not a plus!

Slim

#14 ·
Friend of mine had a 65 GT Vintage Burgundy with black stripes and black vinyl top. Original top. No rust. In fact, coupla weeks ago I saw a 66 coupe with the original vinyl top. Vinyl is like anything else- properly cared for, it holds up. Any car spending time sitting in grandma's back yard will get rusty in all sorts of places, including the roof.

#16 ·
Been a convertible fan since I bought my 56 Ford Sunliner in 1961. Convetibles need a lot of extra care and at best (the 1900-1973) aren't as comfortable as a closed car. The advantage is the top goes down.

A vinyl top car looks a little like a convertible and is as comfortable as it would be without the vinyl. The top needs a little extra care but for what? The top doesn't go down!

Slim

#24 ·
Funny. I generally don't care for the looks of a vinyl top either. I did have a 66 coupe, white with a blue vinyl top that I liked the looks of. But then again, I don't care for the looks of my 65 vert with the top up. It's a convertible. The top should be down right?

#17 ·
The guy told me he took the top off bc the roof was cracking due to the vinyl top holding water. I bought the car and plan on keeping the vinyl top off and keeping the car one full color. I just didn't want it to hurt the value of the car. Just making sure. Thanks!

#20 ·
The vinyl only holds water when years of neglect allow the material to deteriorate to swiss cheese-like porosity. The slightest bit of maintenance keeps it waterproof.

#23 ·
The demand for vinyl tops was great in those early years and Ford, in their bean counting ways, saw a big savings by not painting the roofs if they were going to get covered. Whether or not they got primer, like to think they did but........remember pealing part of one off a parts car I bought, and it was rusty without a trace of Arcadian blue under the weathered white vinyl. Of course it was lumpy-each lump a rust through. Let's say a 66 Mustang gets a professional BC/CC or single stage urethane refinish. Putting a vinyl top on a now collector car would be a lasting thing if one wanted one.
A person I know put a black one one a yellow GT/CS. The appearance factor was dramatic!

DID see one recently on a 2005 or so Camry, with border trim that had SNAPS!
IT WASN'T NICE!

#25 ·
I don't really '65-'66 coupes to begin with, but I like them better with the vinyl tops.
We will be putting a black vinyl top on our '65.

Lynn

#27 ·
A lot of good points have been already covered. Does NOT having the vinyl top on it hurt the value? I'd have to agree with the "no" answers...with caveats. If the roof was properly redone, there's few signs to indicate it was there. Most people DON'T take the time to properly "convert" it over though. One common thing is leaving the vinyl top trim moldings in place on the side. If they're still there, then it MAY affect value. I personally don't like seeing them there with no vinyl top. Just my preference though.

An original vinyl top car has several things done, which if the top were removed, need to be addressed. Around the upper and side perimeters of the front and back window openings the vinyl was tacked in place with a BUNCH of drive staples. There were also "pins" installed at the corners and lower ends. The "pins" resemble small flat head nails. The area of the quarter panels where the moldings are were not filled in. It's just an unprotected panel overlap where the roof sail panel and the top of the quarter meet. Non-vinyl top cars got the area filled with lead and smoothed. This "open" joint is what allows the moldings to sit properly when installed. The last thing is the drip rails. On a vinyl top car there was a metal trim strip installed to help hold the vinyl down into the drip rail (and then covered with a color keyed sealer). Depending on the year of the car, these strips were also riveted to the drip rail (Ford stopped installing the rivets for a short time in '67-early '68). All these areas can rust and/or allow water into the car (especially the roof panel moldings). Some people repair some of the areas but few fix all of them.

Last thing about identifying a car that originally came with a vinyl top. As stated, if it's a Metuchen car the buck tag usually indicates it. While not readily visible, I've seen evidence on the radiator supports of cars from all three plants (two of which I've owned, one each from San Jose and my current Dearborn car), which have paint markings indicating a vinyl top. Someone would have to dig hard (removing the grill and front end followed by stripping the black paint), but there is this final way to tell. BTW, my '66 Dearborn car is marked "VR B", and came with a black vinyl roof. Personally, I like a vinyl roof!:thumbsup:

#29 ·
Ok I just found this out. I punched in my vin number too see what kind of coupe I have and its a LUXURY COUPE! only 22,232 made in 65. Standard coupes were 372,123 made in 65. My car has everything my vin number says except for a black vinyl top. I'M STOKED!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.