Vintage Mustang Forums banner

4spd toploader shifter Pic Request PLEASE

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  289ace 
#1 ·
Can I please get some pics of the stock and hurst shifter for a 4spd. I need some help with the shift rods. PLEASE !

Thank you ! Chris

#4 ·
Thanks for the pics. A couple questions...

I can only remember having one Hurst shifter that was mounted on this 45 degree angle. I swear the other ones I have, mount straight up and down. Just like the original ones do... or I think do.

What kind of input shaft is this ? sure looks different than the ones I have.

#5 · (Edited)
This is the only Toploader and shifter I've owned and have experience with, so sorry I can't give advice on mounting orientation. I just used the standard Comp Plus shifter for '65, and it came with the black adapter plate. The only unusual thing about my shifter is the small adapter where the shift handle mounts. I got this from David Kee so I could use a factory shift handle.

Regarding the input shaft, mine probably looks different because I cut off the pilot sleeve on the bearing retainer...had to modify it for my hydraulic throw-out bearing.

#8 ·
Thanks for the pic. Ideally a picture of the trans out of the car with a pics of the shift rods and their routing and whether the levers are up or down. Also, a pic of the bottom of the shifter.

I would like pics of hurst and a stock shifter. I have an entire bin full of shifters and rods. Probably 25 shifters, I have collected over the years. I'm going to mock a few complete set-ups on a toploader and make them complete..

#10 ·
Thanks for the effort Jay but this is for a falcon which has a different tailshaft and mounting possition, and different rods. )-: Sure didn't remember some of the levers facing up though.

Also, the mounting plates can be confusing. I have a good variety of these as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.