Power Steering Hose Routing - A Pain! - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Default Power Steering Hose Routing - A Pain!

Guys ------ I can not get the short hoses routed from the ram to the cylinder. I have tried everything!! I'm most worried about damaging the threads on the valve more than anything else. Does anyone know a source for these short hoses? Aren"t there special made ones I can buy?? --------- What a pain!! I'm just frustrated. If you have any suggestions. I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks for letting me vent. Cheers, Bill Palmer --- maybe pictures, if you have any.
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 01:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Default A Pain

I was hoping someone would have a suggestion on how to solve connecting these small hoses. Thanks, Bill
Old 07-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Can you be a little more specific about the problem? Are lines too short or ? I recently bought a pair of new Gates brand cylinder lines for about $12ea off of eBay. Havent tried to installing them yet.
miketyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

The short hoses vary in quality from very nice to no-effing-way-will-they-fit. When installed, should look like this:

Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1535 View Post
I was hoping someone would have a suggestion on how to solve connecting these small hoses. Thanks, Bill
Bill,

It is very easy to install the Edelmann/Gates hoses when you keep in mind the cylinder DOES NOT Lay straight along side the control. This is where Folks start cursing the "Bad Fitting " Hoses.

When installed, the cylinder is above the control on the rear side, so keep this in mind as you install the angles.

I promise we can install a set of these in less than 5 minutes without bending at all.

Dan @ Chockostang
CHOCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1535 View Post
Guys ------ I can not get the short hoses routed from the ram to the cylinder. I have tried everything!! I'm most worried about damaging the threads on the valve more than anything else. Does anyone know a source for these short hoses? Aren"t there special made ones I can buy?? --------- What a pain!! I'm just frustrated. If you have any suggestions. I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks for letting me vent. Cheers, Bill Palmer --- maybe pictures, if you have any.

If you look at OE short hoses the end formed tubing and fittings are very short/close coupled. This allows more of the total length to be flexible hose.

I've discussed this with a couple places that produce repo hoses. They say it takes special tooling to produce these close coupled fittings. When I was able to get a pair of short hoses with closer coupled fittings, more flexible hose intallation was a piece of cake!

Obviousely there's always the issue of installing them crossed!

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Detach the cylinder, install the hoses and reinstall.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
The short hoses vary in quality from very nice to no-effing-way-will-they-fit. When installed, should look like this:

That is a 65 66 Picture which has very different routing than the 67-70.

The clocking of the control to the Cylinder is Different, you can not use this picture as a example for the 67-70, and the clamp to secure the tubing to centerlink is missing.

Dan @ Chockostang
Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Confused A Pain

I want to thank everyone for their help. Is there a picture available showing the mounting on a '67 coupe? John: you suggest removing the cylinder and remounting the cyl. after the hoses are "fixed". Have you done it that way? ----- or is this a suggestion??

I'm really having a 'devil' of a time accomplishing this feat. Cheers, Bill Palmer
Old 07-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOCK View Post
That is a 65 66 Picture which has very different routing than the 67-70.

The clocking of the control to the Cylinder is Different, you can not use this picture as a example for the 67-70, and the clamp to secure the tubing to centerlink is missing.

Dan @ Chockostang
Good point.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

I did my 69 recently and what a PIA. I started one side and gave it a few rounds BUT DID NOT TIGHTEN it. Then I started the other side of the same hose (now once the first side is started it really makes it hard to thread) Be aware one is at a funny angle- I always turn it backwards (lefty loosey) SLOWLY and feel for the thread to "drop" in- then stop and resume tightening (righty tighty) so I don't cross thread. As with any mustang repair you may need to stop a few times and wipe sweat, curse, and my car always requires a small blood donation. Seriously it just requires the right angle and the other hand to wiggle the hose around.
dzahm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

As Chock said and my personal experience confirms the quality (say resemblance to original design) makes this job vary from no way to (my words) piece of cake!

OK I exaggerated a little. The cake may be like stale Christmas season fruitcake!!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
Good point.

OH hell Ya, done stole that Picture--

Note the routing, They are Twisted, Have to be, Not perfectly paralllel.

Those trying to fit, Use the bends in the Tubing, That is what they are there for

Dan @ Chockostang

Thanks GT!!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOCK View Post
OH hell Ya, done stole that Picture--

Note the routing, They are Twisted, Have to be, Not perfectly paralllel.

Those trying to fit, Use the bends in the Tubing, That is what they are there for

Dan @ Chockostang

Thanks GT!!

Note the rubber/hose part is long, the fittings are close coupled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.