painting a console - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default painting a console

i've found a near mint floor console 65 fastback, but it's black.....i need it blue
what do i need to do to prepare the plastic for painting? what type of paint to use/ stay away from?
fender leo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to mymachone

You should get a plastic paint prep / cleaner, it will Get it ready for the paint or dye. You should finmd what you need in NPD or Cj pony spartss etc. even eastwoods
mymachone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've heard that Easy Off oven cleaner will take the paint off and leave the surface ready for repainting.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Heavy Duty Easy Off will remove the black paint. I used paint (not dye) from NPD.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Once you have your console stripped, I have a nice how-to PDF on prepping and repainting your console that I used when I restored the one in my 65 convertible. It's too big to attach to this thread, but if you PM me an e-mail address, I'll send it to you. Stripping wasn't an issue for me, as I was repainting a black console with black paint. I suggest calling a customer friendly place like VA Classic Mustangs and ask for advice on the best stripper/paint to use. I used a black laquer in a rattle can and mine turned out fine. I can give you the specifics on the paint I used this evening, if you like. If I had to do it over again though, I would seriously consider dying the console as opposed to painting. It chips pretty easily and I'm always touching it up.

Good luck!

1969 Mach 1 (Dearborn, June 17, 1969) 351 (W) 2bbl 3-Speed Manual. Ongoing Restoration
wsovonick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Like the others above, I have used paint on the hard plastic of consoles, not dye. A small clarification on the oven cleaner suggestions above (if you are stripping old paint) - use the cheap store brands, not easy off. In particular, you are looking for the "old school" formulations where the active ingredient is lye. Lye is nasty stuff; use proper care and do not get it on your skin or in your eyes.

Probably the best advise I have for you is to use a really good dewaxer/degreaser. These consoles got a lot of amour-all and other products applied to them over the years, and oils/wax/silicone will cause all sorts of problems when painting. I use PPG DX330 on everything I paint.

Good luck,
-Rory
Old 07-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wait a minute. My original white console was white plastic. My original red console was red plastic and the blue one was blue. Obviously if someone had painted them a different color, then you need to strip the paint down to the original color.

All of mine need to be "refreshed" as time as taken a toll on the brightness of the original color. They had never been painted. I first washed and scrubbed them with TSP or some equal detergent. Then I cleaned them with alcohol. I used "vinyl dye" as it has a flexing agent in it so it will work on upholstery etc. After 12 years, they still look new and do not seem to chip or scratch easily.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Call tech support at SEM
SEM Products - Home Site

I just finished painting my console using their prep system and paint. It came out looking better that I could have imagined.

You can buy the products on line or from your local Car Quest.
gtonavy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

I wouldn't go spraying oven cleaner on 30 year old plastic. Plastic degrades enough without being subjected to the harshest chemicals you can find.

I'd wash it with a good soap like Dawn then wipe it down with a wax and grease remover. You can use alcohol for this step. The correct next step would be to use a plastic paint prep. A lot of paints don't want to bind with plastic very well. Most paint supply stores will have a spray can that won't be expensive. Bulldog is a brand I've used in the past. Being hard plastic you could use regular paint as well as the vinyl "dyes". Never understood why they insist on calling them dyes. They are just flexible paint.
Fullbasement is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

There is a 3M alcohol based plastic prep cleaner that has worked great for me. DO NOT use oven cleaner on this old plastic. You will literally take off the graining and finish of the plastic. This plastic was not intended to last this long, and needs to be treated with extra care. I've used soft bristle tooth brushes to get down in the crevices to remove dirt and crud prior to painting. Clean it carefully and get all the armor all, and silicone based gook off and you will be fine.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

Use the 3-step SEMS products. Cleaner, prep, paint. They work - period. Even on flexible vinyl pieces. Use LOTs of VERY light coats of the color. I mean like 6 coats where you make one quick pass and let dry in between.

If it is already painted and you are concerned about damaging it then Goof-off will take off the paint without damaging the plastic. Use a toothbrush and lots of rags to wipe off the residue.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #12 (permalink)

+21 for the SEM products/method.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

My console had no less than six coats of paint on it when I picked it up at a swap meet, and three layers of contact paper over the inserts. Blecch. Apparently some PO had a hard time deciding between red and white on an originally Palomino piece. Nobody would even look at the thing. OTOH it was an undamaged convertible console for $20, so it came home with me.

A hit of Easy-Off and a bit of scrubbing took all of the paint off without softening the plastic, and the grain remains crisp and clear. I let it sit for no more than 15 minutes before thoroughly rinsing. My brother managed to melt one by letting it sit for several hours, no surprise there.

Goof-Off is good stuff, but I've destroyed more than a few plastic parts with it over the years- be careful. Removing any quantity of paint with it would be tedious work indeed.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RCodeConv View Post
Use the 3-step SEMS products. Cleaner, prep, paint. They work - period. Even on flexible vinyl pieces. Use LOTs of VERY light coats of the color. I mean like 6 coats where you make one quick pass and let dry in between.

If it is already painted and you are concerned about damaging it then Goof-off will take off the paint without damaging the plastic. Use a toothbrush and lots of rags to wipe off the residue.
+1 I've done both my consoles with SEMS (and all my other soft interior parts) with outstanding results.
Dave

68 GT Vert - J Code (1st car I ever drove in '73, dad bought it in '71)
67 C Code Vert Sports Sprint (1st car I ever bought in '75)
06 Vista Blue with Pony Package (1st Mustang I ever bought new)
MCA #49294 Grayson, GA (Atlanta)
daves67ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

question regarding the color of the console..should it be interior paint color or carpet color or seat/dash vinyl color?
fender leo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.