What kind of oil do you use, synthetic or regular? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Location: Scottsdale, Arizona (Nothing like trying to keep a vintage Mustang cool in 115 degree heat.)
Default What kind of oil do you use, synthetic or regular?

Hi all,

What kind of oil do you run in your Mustangs, synthetic or regular? I'm planning to do an oil change tomorrow, and just picked up some Mobil 1 synthetic, but I've never used it before. I've heard people are thrilled with it, so I figured I'd give it a try. It can't be worse than regular, especially in a hot friggin' desert... I assume.

Anyone have any experience with synthetic, or are you die-hard regular?

Thanks!
1968 Mustang coupe, bought in August '11 (second '68 I've had), .302, Candy apple red, standard black interior, A/C, built in San Jose, California, first registered in October '68. She's mostly original, but has been restored somewhat over the years. Minor tweaks forthcoming.
68Coupe302 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

I use regular. That's all it needs. I get Castrol or Quakerstate. Usually get the deals from Walmart. If regular oil works like it should, why change??
Edelbrock RPM Performer Heads; bored .30 over
Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 600 CFM Carb.
Comp Cam 268H 9.5:1 Speed Pro Pistons
Patriot Tri-Y Headers w/ 2.5" H Pipe, Flowmaster 40S
Ride tech air ride with 4 link
Global West Tubular Arms and Adjustable Struts
CSRP Front Disk Brakes.
Ford 8 3.40 trac-loc rear end

GO RAIDERS!
sdmustangrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

I run Mobil 1 Full-synthetic in both my 03 Mustang and my 08 Jeep and very happy with them both - but also very interested to see what every puts in their classic motors. Subscribed!
Aquarius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just run normal 20w50 in it. I usually grab whatever name brand is on sale, I can't tell the difference.

1967 Mustang GTA 390
2012 Mustang GT/CS 5.0

Freshly media blasted and epoxied! Metal work begins soon!
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps543b55ff.jpg
TTA89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

+1 for regular oil. Change it every 3000 miles or every 3 months.

1966 Mustang Convertible, candy apple red, black interior, black power top with glass window, I6, autolite 1100 carb. Pertronix Ingitor I, C4 auto transmission, Scarebird 4 lug disc brake conversion, dual master cylinder conversion, LED park and tail lights.

1976 Cobra II, white with blue strips and blue interior, 302 cid, auto trans, blackjack headers. Restoration in process.
RagHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

I run mobil 1, which I may reevaluate as the oil gets changed about every 1500 miles or so. The benefits of synthetic oil at that oil change frequency are pretty nonexistent I imagine. Though it probably makes for a little easier starting in the cold winters up here.

Jafo
Jafo74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have been running Mobil 1 years in all my cars.
gtonavy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mobil 1 15w-50.

44,000+ miles over a nine year period. No measurable wear, no leaks, no problems. recent relevant posts. you will find many opposing views as to what works best. :

Yep you guessed it, a ZDDP question

Knocking/Oil question

New engine oil change

what type of oil?

Yet another thread about engine oil, ZDDP, and real vs. synthetic

Z.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo74 View Post
I run mobil 1, which I may reevaluate as the oil gets changed about every 1500 miles or so. The benefits of synthetic oil at that oil change frequency are pretty nonexistent I imagine. .........."
Jafo
not an accurate statement. There is less friction with synthetic oil, and thereby, less wear. This is especially beneficial at start-up when lubrication is minimal. This benefit is realized regardless of the oil change interval.

Z.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

in my 2012 5.0 I will use Mobil 1 or Amsoil, in my '65 289 and '67 390 I use std oil.
tmorisco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2011, 11:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

I run Mobil 1 10w-30 with a good filter usually pure one or Bosch whichever is on sale
- Chris
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe SS(Sports Sprint), 289 "C" Code, PA C4 Auto Trans, Fully Restored, Sauterne Gold w/ Black Vinyl Roof and Black Interior w/ Console, Edelbrock Performer 500 cfm carb, Pioneer radio,
67Mustang Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 12:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

I was told to run 20w-50 in my engine when i had it built. Told me to stick with royal purple. Any body try thaty stuff or u think im gonna waste my money?
PRADO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 12:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

Royal Purple is very good oil. But you don't really need it for a street car and it's very expensive. Also, 20W-50 isn't optimal for a street car unless the engine is very worn or you're driving in EXTREMELY hot weather. 20W-50 is often used in racing engines because they're built with "loose" tolerences and the extra weight helps to maintain oil pressure. But a street engine is very different. Contrary to popular belief, what's good for a race car is not always good for a street car.

I've been running full-synthetic in most of my vehicles for many years. It offers very good protection for cold startups as well as driving in very hot weather. I also like that I can go longer between oil changes.

FYI, it's not necessary to change your oil every 3,000 miles anymore; let alone every 1500 miles. It won't hurt anything; other than your pocketbook and the environment. But the 3,000 mile rule came from many years ago when oils weren't nearly as sophisticated and engines ran dirtier.

For normal driving, you can easily go over 6,000 miles with regular oil and over 10,000 miles with synthetic. I know this sounds shocking, but test after test has shown no difference whether the oil is changed at 3,000 miles or 7,500 miles. Synthetic doesn't break down as quickly and can go longer.

The only disadvantages to synthetic oil are it costs more and it's more likely to leak. The molecules are smaller. As long as your gaskets are in good shape, it won't leak.

As for what weight to run, 5W-30 or 10W-30 is usually best unless you live in a very hot climate, like Las Vegas or Phoenix. Then 10W-40 might be better. 20W-50 isn't really a good idea unless you're driving across Iraq in August.

Last edited by Klutch; 08-14-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 12:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

I run Valvoline VR1 conventional 10W-30 oil. Hard to find sometimes, but it's got enough ZDDP and detergents in it to keep the pony happy. Only slightly more expensive than your average conventional oil, and still less expensive than synthetic. She's been running fine for me so far

Calamity Jane 1966 Fastback
Wrecked and rebuilt even better
289 v8, 4-speed, 3.25 9" rear, goodies and stuff.

Three years of work for three days of perfection.
Kelly_H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zray View Post
not an accurate statement. There is less friction with synthetic oil, and thereby, less wear. This is especially beneficial at start-up when lubrication is minimal. This benefit is realized regardless of the oil change interval.

Z.
Good point. The mustang gets driven so little that I was thinking that the frequency of my oil changes may offset the advantages of synthetic. But, it being slicker makes sense to prevent start up wear.

Also to be clear the 1500 mile oil change thing is just because that is about how many miles i put on the car in a driving season. Oil gets changed at the beginning when I start driving(spring) and at the end when it is parked for the winter. So i guess that's technically a 0 mile oil change in the spring...

Jafo
Jafo74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.