67 Torque Box Install Question, Is Cutting Slot in Floor the Only Way to Install? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 67 Torque Box Install Question, Is Cutting Slot in Floor the Only Way to Install?

This is on a 67FB
Using the heavy duty 2 piece(actually 3 piece if you count the gusset) PS torque box. Did a lot of searching but did not find any great how to install threads. Did see a 65/66 install post that talked about cutting a slot in the original floor board for the flange on the smaller torque box piece to slide up into then be welded from the inside.

Is cutting a slot in the original floor board the only way to install this piece? The floors are perfect so it's not like I would be cutting on them any way. What have you guys that have installed a PS torque box done?

Thanks
'67 FB project is next with/for youngest son
'92 5.0 LX vert 68k org miles
'74 TR6 Project for Wife
1965GTFB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
I won a special award

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965GTFB View Post
This is on a 67FB
Using the heavy duty 2 piece(actually 3 piece if you count the gusset) PS torque box. Did a lot of searching but did not find any great how to install threads. Did see a 65/66 install post that talked about cutting a slot in the original floor board for the flange on the smaller torque box piece to slide up into then be welded from the inside.

Is cutting a slot in the original floor board the only way to install this piece? The floors are perfect so it's not like I would be cutting on them any way. What have you guys that have installed a PS torque box done?

Thanks

Yes. The top lip of the torque box is welded to the inside of the inner cowl piece on the passenger side. This is the same way the driver side is attached. It's a thin slot. And it would be just like the factory would have done had there been a torque box originally in the car on the passenger side.
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

I didn't do the slot. I remember drilling 3/8" or 7/16" holes in the floor and/or torque box and then bringing the piece right up flush against the hole and filling the hole to mimic spot welds.
65 Mustang FB, 331 custom built with 289 H beam rods and 383W piston, 282S cam, self ported '70 351w heads, Dougs Tri-Y headers. 1.7 shaft rockers and 26986 beehives. Hurricane Single Plane and custom 750 HP. T5z and 3.50 9" posi rear.
430 HP @ 6500...not too shabby for old school heads!

'65 Fastback
blkfrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 01:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Torque Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkfrd View Post
I didn't do the slot. I remember drilling 3/8" or 7/16" holes in the floor and/or torque box and then bringing the piece right up flush against the hole and filling the hole to mimic spot welds.
So did you cut the turned up edge off the torque so you could get the box to be flush aginst the floor to weld it the way you did?
'74 TR6 Project for Wife
Old 08-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

It sounds like he welded it to the floor? So now his box is hanging from the floor? I would cut the slot and do it right.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

One other, maybe dumb, question. I should weld the two pieces together before installing it as one unit?
'74 TR6 Project for Wife
Old 08-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Normally it is much easier to install them in two pieces and clamp it and weld the two parts together after both parts are in place. I have never tried doing one with the floor in place.

68 Coupe 351w, Duraspark, C4, A/C, PS, PB
67 Convertible 5.0, Duraspark, AOD swap, Bench Seat, A/C, PS, PB (1/31/67 Dearborn)

http://www.heartlandlasercreations.c...s/coupesig.jpg
http://www.heartlandlasercreations.c...onvertible.jpg

'67 Convertible Project

“People forget how fast you did a job - but they remember how well you did it”. - Howard Newton
Heap64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.