68 upgrade 289 from 2V to 4V...suggestions? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 68 upgrade 289 from 2V to 4V...suggestions?

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to upgrade my 289 2V to a 4V? Specifically, original or new intakes, carb make/model, etc. I am not looking to make a race car or anything, just upgrade for better efficiency. So far I know that the 68 289 only came in a 2V, so I am hesitant to put a 4V intake from a 68 302 on it just because it fits. Will this actually work or am I just setting myself up for failure?
68rogue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Like a charm. The 68 4300 4v carb was actually a bit too small, which fits perfectly with your stated goals. The 302 4v intake was completely identical with the earlier 289 4v intake.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

+ .5

The only difference I'd suggest is to use the earlier Autolite 4100 instead of the 4300. Only the purists will notice the difference and then only if you remove the air cleaner. IMHO the 4100 is not only simpler it is more reliable.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

And if you're getting an intake manifold, instead of just getting the Ford standard 4v manifold, try getting a Cobra repop one, or any version of the Edelbrock F4B (same as the Cobra one if I remember correctly). It will improve breathing efficiency, and should still fit especially if using the Ford round chrome hipo air cleaner, which in itself is more efficient than the big blue canister air cleaner your car came with as stock. Or for that matter, modern engineered small block Ford intakes are probably better still, although I'm no expert in this department but others here are.
Here's a good link for intake manifold info: Ford and Mustang Intake manifold
[/SIGPIC]67 Fastback GT -- original colour (Frost Turquoise), orig engine. Pic is of me and the Mustang taken in summer of '67, with original F70-14 Wide Ovals. Same car is now restored to "as new" but 3 speed tranny swapped out for 4 gear, with tach dash, original Equalock rear, Opentracker roller perches and idler arm, roller bearing pedal cluster, Cibie headlights, 4100 carb (old 4300 put in storage probably forever)
jfstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

A stock 289 4v intake will bolt right on. As was said a nice 480 cfm 4100 would be fine. If you don't mind going after market, the Performer intake with a 500 Performer carb is a natural. If you're going that far, a Performer cam would make a nice upgrade, too. You'll have more power and better mileage. It's fun, too.
victor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

I upgraded to 4v about two years ago. I went with an aluminium Wieand Stealth intake and a Holley 570CFM Street Avenger carburetor.

The aluminum intake is about half the weight of the original iron intake. The Stealth intake is the same height as my original with the 1" spacer. I run it without the spacer and painted it blue. It is in my signature picture and you can hardly tell it is not original.

I'm new to carburetors and tuning the Holley was a little difficult for me. I had to buy about $50 in parts before I figured out exactly what I needed. This might be true with tuning any carburetor for your application but I've only done it this once so I'm no expert on that.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jg1oGqHrYL...0/100_3043.JPG
67TXStang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
A stock 289 4v intake will bolt right on. As was said a nice 480 cfm 4100 would be fine. If you don't mind going after market, the Performer intake with a 500 Performer carb is a natural. If you're going that far, a Performer cam would make a nice upgrade, too. You'll have more power and better mileage. It's fun, too.
+1. John--Las Vegas.
juan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow, thanks for the input! Looks like some good options to choose from. As for the cobra intake idea, is this what I would be looking for?

1967-68 Ford Shelby Mustang Intake manifold | eBay

Pretty sure I know the parts everyone else is referring to. Thanks again, and keep the ideas coming if anyone else has any!
68rogue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 01:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

I did a 4V conversion last year. I used the Ford cast iron intake / Autolite 4100 combo. It was a easy conversion because every 2100 connection to the outside world (PCV, Choke, Throttle rod) is in exact the same spot as with the 4100.
Here are some pictures.

66 Red Convertible,289ci 4V /C4/PDB/PS/PT. Visit my HOMEPAGE for lots of pictures.

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9721/dsc0534h.jpg
66candy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 01:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66candy View Post
I did a 4V conversion last year. I used the Ford cast iron intake / Autolite 4100 combo. It was a easy conversion because every 2100 connection to the outside world (PCV, Choke, Throttle rod) is in exact the same spot as with the 4100.
Here are some pictures.
Wow...awesome work on the carbs!

Joe

Currently own:
1965 Mercury Comet Hardtop
289/Autolite 4100/4spd Toploader

1964 Ford Falcon convertible. 289/C4. PS, power disc brakes, power top
jmd66fb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rogue View Post
Wow, thanks for the input! Looks like some good options to choose from. As for the cobra intake idea, is this what I would be looking for?

1967-68 Ford Shelby Mustang Intake manifold | eBay

Pretty sure I know the parts everyone else is referring to. Thanks again, and keep the ideas coming if anyone else has any!
Overpriced. The repro, brand-new in the box, sells for that price. The ebaY item is the OTC Shelby manifold.

I agree with the above, that the 4100 is superior to the 4300. Direct fit, better economy and better performance.

You should have the distributor curves adjusted. I have done many, and never saw one that didn't need adjusting. The difference in performance can be stunning, this is the most-neglected aspect of engine performance.

As for the intake, the iron 4V would be just fine for you. I have used all sorts of exotic intakes, even had a 3-2V high-rise in my driver for years. My 289HP now has it's original iron 4V on it, and I can still run the beejeepers out of it.

Last edited by 22GT; 08-22-2011 at 06:54 AM.
22GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'll just assume that you've got headers. Or at least some kind of dual exhaust. That would help the "breathing" quite a bit, especially with a 4v.
Black65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Go with a dual plane performer manifold. Great low end and mid range performance. No need to go with original cast style. First of all heavier than **** when trying to install. have used performer intakes for the past 20 plus years and have always worked great. As for a carb I love the 500 Performer carb for a set up like yours. I personally run a 600 with auto choke and love the power it provides.
tazzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
If you don't mind going after market, the Performer intake with a 500 Performer carb is a natural.
IMO this is the easiest way to go. The Edelbrocks usually run well right out of the box and are easy to tune.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RCodeConv View Post
IMO this is the easiest way to go. The Edelbrocks usually run well right out of the box and are easy to tune.
As far as aftermarket parts I totally agree. New Edelbrock intake I've seen under $100 at Advance store and their website has coupons all the time to lower your costs. I like the older carb/intake combo's too, but they can wind up being more expensive and some knowledge is required. The 4100 carbs are getting harder to find a good one, and price keeps going up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.