Carb backfire and engine won't start - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Carb backfire and engine won't start

I have had the 289 out of my 66 and am not trying to start it for the first time. I have verified all the wiring correct, timing appears correct (TDC on cylinder 1), and car sounds like it would start. Problem I am seeing is that the with the air filter off (hood still off the car) the carb is backfiring on me. I have only seen it flame 2 times, but it will belch gas out the top. I am running an edelbrock performer intake with an edelbrock 1406 performer 4bbl.

Any thoughts on what I can do to get this to start? I am new to this so any advice would help out.
denker0508 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Sounds like timing or firing order might be a good place to start.

Stand by: people who actually know something will be along shortly...
RichA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Even though it's not running, you can still use your timing light to set timing, 6-12*BTDC. If your marks won't line up in the right place you know something is wrong. Plus it will verify you have spark. Backfire thru carb is normally a timing issue.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

why was it pull out? what was done to it while it was out?
slingblade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to My427stang

Sounds like you are 180 degrees out with the distributor.

- Take the cap off
- Pull #1 plug (pass side front) stick your finger over the hole and bump the motor over it until it goes PFFFFT
- Look down at the timing mark, continue to turn the motor BY HAND clockwise (looking from the front) until you are at somewhere between 0 and 10 BTDC
- look where the rotor is, it should be pretty close to #1 spark plug terminal on the cap
- My guess is that it will be pointing the complete opposite way, or a tooth or two off

As a technique, after you reset the distributor, go through the steps again to double check, only takes a minute.
13 Ram 2500 Laramie Quad Cab 6.7 diesel
My427stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

I followed the instructions that My427Stang provided. When you could feel the compression on plug 1 it was about 90 degrees past the fire on the distibutor and there were no timing marks showing. If I continue to turn until I see the marks I am pointed to 6.

My question now is:

Do I set the distributor to one, once I see the timing marks on the balancer, or when I feel the compression on plug 1? If I set it when I feel the compression, I see no marks on my balancer.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

How old is the engine? May have a bad timing chain and it jumped a tooth. Are you sure the mark on the balancer is TDC. Did you change the timing cover and now the pointer is in a different location?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../Lakeland1.jpg
rusty428cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Engine is from the 1960's, when i had the engine out I replaced all the gaskets and seals. The timing chain was in great shape, looks to have been replaced in the past. The timing chain cover is the original.

Adjusting the timing has helped a little, I am not getting a back fire now, but car is still struggling to start. I am attempting to jump start it as I have run the battery down with all the attempts at starting it.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty428cj View Post
How old is the engine? May have a bad timing chain and it jumped a tooth. Are you sure the mark on the balancer is TDC. Did you change the timing cover and now the pointer is in a different location?
Yup, or could be the old worn out plastic cam timing gear.

Slim

Oops, just saw your reply!

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

when you see the mark on tdc,align #1plugwire with rotor on dist cap and rewire,no need to pull dist until you get running
slingblade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

"My question now is:

Do I set the distributor to one, once I see the timing marks on the balancer, or when I feel the compression on plug 1? If I set it when I feel the compression, I see no marks on my balancer. "

When you feel compression, keep turning (by socket and breaker bar on crank) until you line up the timing marks. Then set #1 on distributor where rotor is pointing. You are 180 out now being you say if you line up marks on #1 compression your rotor is pointing at #6. "1"-5-4-2-"6"-3-7-8.
rickgto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denker0508 View Post
I followed the instructions that My427Stang provided. When you could feel the compression on plug 1 it was about 90 degrees past the fire on the distibutor and there were no timing marks showing. If I continue to turn until I see the marks I am pointed to 6.

My question now is:

Do I set the distributor to one, once I see the timing marks on the balancer, or when I feel the compression on plug 1? If I set it when I feel the compression, I see no marks on my balancer.
Compression will start well before it gets to TDC, ignore where the rotor is, be happy that you proved the distributor is in wrong, now you know

Rick is correct above, you are 180 out like we guessed, common mistake. You cant drop a distributor in with the piston at the top, it has to be at TDC on the compression stroke, you previously put it in lined up with the exhaust stroke.

When it starts building compression, keep going until you see the timing marks line up. Then lift the distributor up, turn the rotor to line it up to #1.

Then do the same thing again to verify, sometimes it takes acouple tries because the gears are helical cut and it doesnt drop straight down.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thanks for all the help, adjusted distributor 180 and it started to fire. I then retarded the distributor 1 tooth and it fired right up.

Thanks again for all the help and not time to adjust the Carb.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Your welcome, BTW, from Papillion here. Do you ever go to cars and coffee on Sat mornings? I missed it today, but I go about every other weekend.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

I have heard about it, but never had the chance to go. Where do they hold it at? Is it the one that is at the HyVee off 156th and Maple?

Starting another string as now I am having issues with not building power while driving. So if you got any advice I hope to hear from you.

Thanks again for all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.