Interior Lacquer or Krylon? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Interior Lacquer or Krylon?

I've got the Ivy gold interior on my 67. Since I had the steering column out I figure this would be a good time to repaint it. I did a little reading on the paints available to do this and it seems that some prefer just run of the mill spray paint because it applies easier. Krylon has an Ivy Leaf color that looks pretty close to my interior. Krylon: Products: Indoor/Outdoor Paint

So what do you think, lacquer or Krylon?
airmenair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Blue Blood

What are your goals for the car? Modified, stock, show car?..
Blue Blood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 12:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've had good experience with NPD's aerosols. Correct colors, easy application.

Neil Hoppe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Pictures 075.jpg (98.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg My Pictures 282.jpg (93.3 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by franklinair; 10-31-2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: sp
franklinair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 01:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blood View Post
What are your goals for the car? Modified, stock, show car?..
Of those options, modified. I'm really just looking for something that looks the part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinair View Post
I've had good experience with NPD's aerosols. Correct colors, easy application.

Neil Hoppe
Hmm yeah those were the ones I was looking at. If it's easy application I think I might just go with that.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

EDIT: Sorry, long reply but this subject is of interest to me as well.

I used "AccuMatch" brand of paint I purchased from Dallas Mustang Parts (CJ's also use to carry it, but then I think they switched...not sure). Not sure if this is the same as NPD brand and it does claim to be a 'laquer'.

I've done a fair amount of painting commerically (but never really on cars), so I'm not sure if you can make a 'true laquer' in a rattle can version...maybe some paint & body experts know??

However, I am happy with the quality of this paint, compared to other rattle can flavors like krylon and rustoleum...I would say this brand was superior, but like with any 'paint' job...results are very dependent on prep. I'd be sure to either use some type of etching chemical like a phosphoric acid (although careful of residue that can effect the finish) or when possible sanding thoroughly, but leaving some portion of factory paint remaining in place can also promote adhesion...good ahesion being the biggest battle I've encountered with all painting (i.e. always paint when humidity is low..never over 50, and when ambient and material temps are above ~75, clean surfaces, etc. all promote bonding). Most of my factory interior paint seemed well adhered (severely faded and/or stained but not chipped), so going over it after sanding to a fresh substrate was almost like using a primer to my thinking (although as I understand it, the interiors were painted without primer...hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong here).

Anyway one of the reasons I joined this forum is to learn more about the interior/paint/body work side of restoration, but at the risk of displaying my 'amateurish' work to this point on my 'driver' quality restoration...I was pleased with the results of the above product...

No thread hijack intended...however I too am interested if there are even better ways to acheive good and especially 'durable' outcomes with rattle can paints, particularly before I tackle the refurb of my doors. Good luck with your paint project...I'm sure as with any paint job, durability will obviously depend on how it looks in a few years.
Frank-n-stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Anything will work but enamel (like Rustoleum) is much more scratch resistant than lacquer.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RCodeConv View Post
Anything will work but enamel (like Rustoleum) is much more scratch resistant than lacquer.
Would the original interior finishes have been laquer or enamel?

EDIT: The laquer seemed to be more 'self leveling' and dried faster...higher VOC (or is that cause it's a rattle can laquer?).

Can anyone give some insight into what qualities make a laquer different from an enamel?

Again, to OP, no thread hijack intended...hoping information requested is inline with your original question. Thanks!
Frank-n-stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

I tried the lacquer first on my interior panels. I didn't like the results. I resprayed it with Krylon semi flat black and they came out really nice.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-n-stang View Post
Again, to OP, no thread hijack intended...hoping information requested is inline with your original question. Thanks!
Not a problem, your questions have been helpful too. Helps me actually understand what I'm trying to ask myself!
Old 10-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm sure store-bought paints such as Krylon are cheaper, and can produce good results. I've never heard that they're tougher, though.

They're heavier-bodied and take fewer coats for coverage, but because of that they're rougher at the edges and make it harder to cover larger surfaces smoothly.

I prefer the "lacquers" sold by NPD. I did my entire interior with them and love how they lay down. The coverage isn't as good, so it takes more coats. But it seems easier to get a good result with them.

Plus, on the textured surfaces like the doors, the thinner coat you can manage, the better the texture appears.

I don't know how the factory got their paint to stick, but I have never found primer under interior paint. And it's adhered extremely well. Maybe that's a characteristic of lacquer, dunno. Back in the day, there was "lacquer primer".

On my job, I used rattle-can etching primer (TEC at NAPA). One light coat did a great job.
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

When new, the early Mustang interiors were lacquered. One thing about lacquer, you need to use a correct, compatible primer. Light gray is the best as it does not throw off the shade of finish. I like Sem gray self-etch primer as it is lacquer base.
Found that NPD's color match was accurate.

RE Krylon, the stand-by semi-flat 1613 was changed by co. and it is now enamel based and some say that it takes a while to dry and has more gloss.
NPD...aware of 1613 and it's popularity, now sells a black semi-gloss.... AP_ECBK "custom-mixed to match the highly regarded original mix of Krylon 1613"
yelostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

So for the lacquer, the consensus is to use a primer. Does NPD sell a primer along with the lacquer?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Original factory interiors were lacquer. Exteriors were synthetic enamel, force cured in infrared tunnels on the body line. I have used PPG lacquer of the correct color for the interior, either in rattle cans or sprayed with a "touch-up" gun.

Also have used Krylon on various projects for over 50 years and find it to be great stuff. If you can get the correct color, either should come out well.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

I went with the lacquer and some self etching green primer I found at O'Reilly's. I thought I'd post my results for those who are interested.

Stripped:

Primed:

Painted:

I stripped it with just a drill and one of those 3M paint stripper pads. Anyway so far I really like how it came out, better than I imagined. I'm hoping it will be pretty scratch resistant.

Thought this might be helpful for anyone about to try this.

Emile
Old 11-23-2011, 12:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

Nice!! Looks like something you buy out of a shop. Almost looks powder coated. I was going to go that route but since my POS shaft stud is stripped and I can't put an aftermarket wheel on, I decided to buy a chrome tilt column. Looks good though Emile.
Edelbrock RPM Performer Heads; bored .30 over
Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 600 CFM Carb.
Comp Cam 268H 9.5:1 Speed Pro Pistons
Patriot Tri-Y Headers w/ 2.5" H Pipe, Flowmaster 40S
Ride tech air ride with 4 link
Global West Tubular Arms and Adjustable Struts
CSRP Front Disk Brakes.
Ford 8 3.40 trac-loc rear end

GO RAIDERS!
sdmustangrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.