Reputable Restoration Shops near Oklahoma City? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Reputable Restoration Shops near Oklahoma City?

Hey guys... I was googling for restoration shops near OKC and came across this forum again, actually for a post I made in 2001 when I initially tried to start restoring my mustang. At the time, someone mentioned John Brown in Piedmont, OK (Thoroughbred Motors) and Mustang1 in Sapulpa, OK. At the time, I lived in Fort Smith, AR and had found a guy in Mountainburg, AR and was going to have him do the restoration but I hit some financial and other snags in my life and the car has been sitting in my yard ever since (covered, at least).

A short re-cap... I have a 66 coupe, c-code, 3-speed, 289 2v, AC, drum brakes, manual steering, in a shameful condition. My grandmother bought it new in October of 1965, beat the crap out of it for 30 years, loaned it out, got it wrecked, etc... then gave it to me in 2000. It's been wrecked at least 3 times with some shotty work both cosmetically and mechanically. In 2001 I decided to restore it rather than keep patching it (partially due to some TERRIBLE work done by a shop in Tulsa). I took the engine, tranny, and interior out with the intention of sending the rest to be restored by a professional, and then I'd do the rest once it was ready, but obviously that never happened. It has rust in the cowl, front and rear floor pans (both sides), a spot on the roof, and other miscellanous spots, probably more than I know.

Either way, it's a family car and I couldn't scrap it if I wanted to... it's definitely going to be the most expensive thing I've ever been "gifted" in my life!

So, I'm looking for a shop near the OKC area preferrably. I am committed to getting it done now and have the means to do so. I know it'll never be worth what I put into it, but like I said, it's a family car and I'd like to get it done in time for my grandmother to drive it again (which means I will have to do a road trip to California). It's a 3-speed, drum brakes, manual steering, though, so she couldn't drive it if she wanted. My plan is to get the body done right, full restoration by a professional. I'd like to upgrade the suspension, brakes, steering so that when it's finished my Grandmother could drive it again. I plan to make the interior and exterior perfectly stock, with the previously mentioned upgrades to steering/brakes/suspension as well as some performance upgrades (edelbrock carb/intake, etc) and some convenience features (keyless entry, alarm, etc) so long as they can be hidden (from my Grandmother!).

So... long story long... anyone have recommendations for restoration shops in my area? I called a # I found online for Thoroughbred Motors (John Brown) on Wednesday but got a lady for an insurance company... she did tell me she'd have him call me which tells me he may not be doing restorations full time anymore... but I could be wrong. He didn't call me back, so I'll be calling again Monday. I read about Trinity in Tulsa... and Mustang One in Sapulpa (which is Melvin Little, right?) I REALLY like what I see on Mustang One's website and will be calling them Monday, but I would REALLY prefer someone closer to OKC. I went by Classic Auto Parts and asked if they had any ideas... they were clueless and then came up with a name "Tony Beam" who used to do work for them, left the state, but is now back, but they didn't know a # or where he was working. Not looking promising.

Any recommendations?

FYI, I used to post on here as D#mnRock (with an 'a')... but it wouldn't let me get that name back. My posts are still here but I guess the account was purged for non-use and now "D#mn" is not allowed!

Rocky
Rocks66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

So, depending on what your definition of close to OKC is.. Gary Hagar of The Hack Shack here in Rogers Ark does pretty awesome work. He restored a friend of mine's 71 Z28, did a repaint on my 98 Cobra and will eventually be doing my 70 Mach1. His website isn't the best, but it does show the level of work he does and some of the awards his earned as well as many of the cars he's done over the years. He's a stand up guy.
I'm not sure what the rules are for posting links here, but if you do a google search for "the hack shack rogers", it should be the first hit you get.
razrbak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

This shop is advertised on MM guide to shops: Muscle Car Restoration
Hope it helps
classicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey there Rocky, if you don't mind driving to the other end of I-44, then I definitely recommend Mustang 1 in Sapulpa. Check them out. All they do are Mustangs, from stock rebuilds to six figure jobs,whatever you like. Todd is really nice and knowledgeable. He's dad, Melvin, is in the business too. However, he is not on the cheap end, but I think the quality of his work reflects that.

FYI, he is a moderator at the forum at Modded Mustang.
66resto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, it's not necessarily close, but over in Joplin MO (couple hours away) Rusty at Missouri Mustang might be able to help you out. I don't have their phone, but it would be easy to find on google.
fastback65gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you are willing to go to Missouri I can recommend a great shop that does metal work and at a very good rate. PM me and Ill give you more info.
classicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Todd, and Melvin do an excellent job at Mustang 1. I've been to their shop numerous times, and have bought some stuff from them. I've seen their cars in progress, and they pay attention to detail and do it right.

Classic Recreations in Yukon is closer to you, and they're known for great work as well.

Shelby GT500CR Built by Classic Recreations
Old 01-08-2012, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Mustang One is top of my list so far. I don't have a vehicle to tow the mustang with but I will in a few months... I'm going to talk to Mustang One about picking it up though, as that may work out better and they can get started sooner. Then again, I've been wanting to do this for 10 years, so another few months won't kill the car.

Calling them Monday, and I'll be calling Thoroughbred (John Brown) again Monday as well.
Rocks66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

If you need any help moving it, we may be able to work something out. I have a car hauler, and truck.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastback65gt View Post
Yeah, it's not necessarily close, but over in Joplin MO (couple hours away) Rusty at Missouri Mustang might be able to help you out. I don't have their phone, but it would be easy to find on google.
Rusty hasn't been doing restorations lately but he does have a 66 fastback he's doing for someone right now. He told me he would be working on it till August of this year. He is a really nice guy and does nice work. I live about 5 minutes from him so I get my wallet heated up there fairly frequent. Besides that, how could you not think a guy named Rusty would be the right guy for the job?

You could call and find out if he's taking other projects. He's a straight up guy and will let you know if he can or not.

Missouri Mustang

65 convertible, 289 C code, C4 automatic, Wimbledon white, red interior.

Last edited by grasshopper; 01-08-2012 at 06:48 PM.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rocky, I wanted to know if you found your shop to use on your Grandmother's ride? My name is Troy, and I am the owner of Elite Concepts & Performance. I was the manager of Classic Recreations for three years, and I decided to tackle the world for myself. My guys and I have extensive mustang knowledge and would be happy to restore the car to its former glory and then some. We are right out side of Okc, so you would be close enough to drop in whenever you wanted. If you have someone already that is great too, as I know the post is older. Keep us in mind for any future projects as well , and to everyone on the forum, bring anything you can dream up, and we can make a reality. Thanks.
EliteConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Try Todd / Mustang One, he's a MOD over at Modded Mustangs
Son,.........."This old car is cool."

USMC Security Forces, Kamiseya Japan, 0311

Build Thread: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...sted-pile.html
Israel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.