Title from Bill Of Sale in Kansas question - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Title from Bill Of Sale in Kansas question

A coworker bought one of the shed mustangs, a 1967 coupe, and the seller has had no luck finding the title. The story is their(seller) father bought all these mustangs through the years and stored them in sheds. They are now selling them and this one they can't find a title. I know in Kansas you can get a title with only a Bill Of Sale but what are the requirements and process?

Does the Bill Of Sale need to be from the same person who's name the title is in? The Bill Of Sale is from the daughter of the guy who bought all these ponies and they have no idea who would be on the title.

What would be the process to obtain a title from the motor vehicles department?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Near the bottom of the page.

Kansas Department of Revenue - Frequently Asked Questions About Titles and Registrations
Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Last car I did, floors, 1/4's, and more, got a Fl. title for a 66 cvt with body nos. matching title nos. Bought it from a Mustang shop. He handed me the title and I put it back in envelope after looking. Dumb s**t that I was, didn't look at backside. Title was in one person's name and was apparently sold to a party who signed it. Now, it had two sigs, and both were DEC'D!! Going to Fl. DMV, the person said I'd have get death certificates, etc. Also said it would be a real drag! Said my best bet was to go to Broadway Title!! Did just that, and two weeks later got the paperwork to successfully take to a Fl. tag agency.
Person who sold me the car split the costs.
All things failing, the title co. did what they had to do. They also run vin nos. with the theft bureau before they do anything.
yelostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

From looking at that link it looks like a Quiet Title is what would be needed. I'm curious to find someone that has used that action. Personally I have always thought that you needed a title no matter what and have gone to great lengths to track down previous owners and gotten duplicate titles issued. The Quiet Title thing sounds like it may have been a better option on a couple of cars.

Chris
Injected65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Assuming the Father passed away, and assuming Kansas DMV keeps old records on microfische (like NC does), the executors of his will can request a REPLACEMENT TITLE and then sign it over to you.
bryancobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

That is what I would do, Apply for lost title, replacement in fathers name and than let them sign it over to u
MrRon1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRon1 View Post
That is what I would do, Apply for lost title, replacement in fathers name and than let them sign it over to u
That would be the simplest way to resolve the issue, only if he actually tittled the car in the first place. The OP said the father would buy the Mustangs over the years and store them in sheds, unless he was driving the Mustangs he might never have tittled them.

1969 Mach 1 351w 4v
Candyapple Red
Lt Parchment Comfortweave Interior

http://s725.photobucket.com/user/mac...?sort=6&page=1
mach1jc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I bought my untitled car from kansas.. Before i drove down to pick it up, the seller just ordered me another one.. Seemed painless from what I gathered?
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

I doubt it was titled in the fathers name. None of the others were until the daughter sent them off for reassignment in their name. Kansas is one of the few places were getting a title is pretty easy. I think, from what I've got so far, all I need to do is have a highway patrolman come and inspect the VIN to make sure the number is the same as on the bill of sale. I then take the certification the patrolman gives me and the bill of sale to the motor vehicle department, and they will issue me a title on that alone as long as the vehicle is 35 years old or older. 1940 and older doesn't even require an inspection of the VIN just a bill of sale.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Member

the seller needs to apply for a duplicate title. i am assuming the seller inherited the car(s) from his father. depending on the law in Kansas the seller will have power of attorney to sign or he will need to get a title in his name. this is the way it needs to be done, else a lot of money could be spend without geeting the right results. i live in california and my dad lives in missippi. my dad told me when i inherit his rv motorhome, 66 mustang, 94 truck all i will need to do is sign his name to the titles and missippi will issue titles in my name. IF i bring the titles to cali and try to do that it not happen. you gotta check Kansas law on inheritance. IF the father didnt leave a will then the children cannot sell anything, it has to got to probate court.
supershifter2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

I live in KS and a relative bought an antique car w/o a title. Caught a lot of flack at the DMV but then went to a DOR office (in Olathe) and provided a bill of sale and filled out an affidavit of fact for antique auto and since both the seller and buyer lived in KS there was no issue getting a title.
redlinetom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 05:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

The intent of the laws in this area, should be TO NEVER, YES NEVER, I SAID NEVER, AND I MEAN NEVER, issue a title OF ANY TYPE, on a vehicle, that has ANY chance of being a stolen car, or a fake high value car.

A Title serves 2 purposes:
1) To positively identify THE VEHICLE
2) To positively identify the RIGHTFUL OWNER

When you are attempting to get a title, when you get a State Trooper to verify the VIN, he is trying to POSITIVELY IDENTIFY THE VEHICLE. When he goes inside and runs the VIN on the NCIC computer, he's attempting to POSITIVELY DETERMINE IT IS NOT STOLEN. If he can do both, he signs your paper. If he can't sign the paper, you can't get a Title.

The Trooper is the weak link, but he functions as the GO/NO-GO gateway to a valid Title, in your name. For instance, if he's not a Mustang enthusiast, he doesn't have the ability to recognize a fake Boss 429, that was a stolen 6 cylinder that was made into a Boss with parts from a scrap rust-bucket Boss.
(EXAGGERATION OF COURSE)
Old 02-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to graywolf_14

I know when I was looking I found alot of great cars but no title. From what I got from the DMV it said lost title has to be done be the last person that registered. It.
graywolf_14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

Default Kansas bill of sale

I have done several bill of sale titles in Kansas, take your car and bill of sale to the vehicle registration office, they will have a highway patrolman inspect the vins on the car, two have to match, then the officer will run a check to see if the vehicle has been reported stolen, if it comes back clean he will fill out a MVE-1 form, you will pay 10 dollars for this and then you take this form to the vehicle registration office and they will issue you an antique title. It does not matter if the last registered owners name is on the bill of sale or not as long as it does not come back stolen. To answer the lost title question, in Kansas only the last titled owner can apply for a lost title, this was implemented in July 2005.
astang68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default The OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by astang68 View Post
... To answer the lost title question, in Kansas only the last titled owner can apply for a lost title, this was implemented in July 2005...
The OP seemed to be saying the last registered owner was the seller's Dad who had passed? If that is the case, the executor of his will COULD get replacements. (assuming he had the Titles changed when HE bought them and put them in the barn -- a smart owner would have)

But, your BOS procedure would give the same results and be a little easier, I guess.

Last edited by bryancobb; 02-05-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.