Vintage Mustang Forums banner

32K views 132 replies 59 participants last post by  Shay 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Great story.
I remember my 67, I was 18 (1984/85) it was sitting next to the sellers garage and he was moving. It had sat in that spot untouched for 5 years since the owner died (Family member).

It was full of sour gas and cobwebs, but after working on it in the dirt for about 4 hours I drove it home. I still sorta remember that.

Having your dad with you will end up being the best part of your story long after your love affair with the car has faded and you are an old man yourself.

Enjoy all of it!

#7 ·
That night, about every 5 min i would hear a loud engine start up, I would run to the window to make sure nobody was stealing my baby.
Ha! This still happens to me... hell, I don't even live in the same city as my car right now and I still look out the window suspiciously when a loud engine is going by :p

Do you have anything planned for your car mechanically? I notice everything you've listed is cosmetics, so I'm guessing it runs pretty well. Those end caps / decklid look like they turned out great. I've got the opposite problem from you... scared to do body work for fear of screwing it up, but I'll drive it all day every day now that someone else has done it :p

#94 ·
....I don't even live in the same city as my car right now and I still look out the window suspiciously when a loud engine is going by....
...I remember those days too

#14 ·
It runs perfectly, the only thing I would like to figure out is, it doesn't like starting in the cold. even on a warm day, when the engine has not been warmed up, I have to keep my foot on 1500 RPM's for about 1 minute to get the engine warm, then it will idle by its self.
I really would like to figure it out.. one of my dad's 65's just starts right up, dont even have to touch the gas at all.
That's what I would like.

Choke, perhaps?

#13 ·
Enjoyed reading your story!
My 1st old Stang was when I was 15...a 68 GT 390 coupe.
Keep up the great work...you are steps ahead of me...and much younger!!

#15 ·
Reading your post reminds me of myself. I'm 20 and just got my 67 fastback last week. Currently it's just a shell and you definently scored getting a running 351w for 15 something damn. Mines a 68 coupe that was turned into a 67 fastback. I'm doing a 1 of a kind restomod, so I would hate to ruin an original by giving it my touch. Anyhoo like your post, and keep it up, I live in SD so were not far apart. also have u done a disk brake conversion yet? That's gonna be top priority for me

#21 ·
man looking great! im 21 and in the process of doing a resto on my 68 coupe, building a 302 from the block up and wanting (if i can find it) to put in a t5 with a 9"rear with 3.73 gears. im also doing the shelby decklid and side scoops on mine as well. where did you get yours?
body work doesnt bother me though, ive been doing it professionally since i was 16 so i definitely have a lot of experience, this will be my first full resto though on my own, good luck and keep up the good work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.