68 VIN on a 67 Mustang?! - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
67M

Default 68 VIN on a 67 Mustang?!

Alright I bought and registered a 67 mustang ,in Georgia, with the only VIN I have on it which is 8T01CXXXXXX (on the driverside door). 8T01CXXXXXX appears to be a 68 VIN number though so when I took the bill of sale which states "blah blah selling this 1967 mustang VIN # 8T01C...... 65A Y 2A 12J 21 2 W ect" the woman said it was free and clear and it is in my name now. Everything points to this car being a 67 (rear view mirror,no VIN on dash,gauges,inserts near rear wheel well,tail light ... ect) So basically will I have any problems with this in the future?
67M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

You probably won't have problems. However, the VIN on the door is not the recognized legal VIN. What's stamped on the fender apron? You might have to remove a fender to see it. Your door was likely replaced at some point.
You might want to re-register it with the correct VIN. I wouldn't mention your current registration, it's basically an error on the DMV's part. I don't see a need to stir things up. I'd just start over, and get things straight with your insurance as well. THAT'S where you might run into a problem. If for some reason the vehicle was a total loss (fire, accident, theft) the adjuster would check the legal VIN (what if it was stripped? No doors?) And they would find a "different" car. Wow, they might even come after you for insurance fraud! At the very least, you'd be left with nothing. I'd straighten it out.
Black65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
67M

I have checked everywhere but under the fender for the VIN ... what if the one on the door is the only one?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67M View Post
I have checked everywhere but under the fender for the VIN ... what if the one on the door is the only one?
It came from the factory with one on the inner fender. Possibly on both sides. If they are missing you have a big problem.

Somebody put a 68 door on it which is why the VIN on the door does not match the title.

If there are no VINs in the engine compartment I would get a stamp kit off ebay and stamp your number in the proper place. While this is illegal IMO you have to consider the spirit of the law versus the letter of the law. The letter of the law says you are not supposed to stamp them because you might be commiting fraud. In this case you have no intent to commit fraud so the spirit is satisfied.

If you get the DMV involved it will be nothing but trouble. They will probably not register your car and might impound it.

1967 Shelby GT350, dark green, 347 stroker, 5-speed, inboards, #2206
1973 Mustang Convertible, white/white, black stripes, Q-code (351C-4V), ram air.
1968 1/2 428 CJ convertible, R-code, red/deluxe red, auto, finally finished.
"If you find the car of your dreams, ignore the price guides and pay whatever you have to in order to get it."
68RCodeConv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Time to ask the person you bought it from if they also have or had a 68. Sounds like a title mix-up, that could be easily corrected if that is so. And, better look for the numbers under the front fenders before you invest more time and money into this car.
67 GT 350 (#0036)("Miss July" 2004) owned since 1971. And I still drive it...SAAC 29 Concours GOLD, Div II, MCA Concours Trailered Gold 2X,
Also: 67 GTA S code COUPE (under construction)
General Shelby and Mustang enthusiast, MCA certified Concours judge
Roddster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

If you have 67 type fake scoops then you have a 67 body and it is not legally titled.

A 68 would require a dash vin tag as its legal vin.
kevlarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Look for the VIN first. Like myself and 68Rcode alluded to...limit your dealings with DMV accordingly. I'm not implying that you break any laws or ethics, just get it straight and leave your previous registration alone. (ie, don't try for the refund) raising red flags unnecessarily will only confuse a simple issue and create chaos for you. I'm pretty confident you'll find the VIN where it is supposed to be. It can be tricky with these cars to get the paperwork right, but it's not that difficult.
Black65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Read the door tag. It says across the top. "not for title or registration". Then to the right it says "warrenty number". When the door is replaced do to rust or accident most times the door put on is a used door. Any body shop should know better. It's amazing to me that DMV people often think the door tag is the VIN.

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Did you happen to buy the blue '67 Fastback with the funky stripes from the used dealer in Covington, GA?
68gt390bench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
67M

Well the car in the shop and I told him to look for it and if he cant find it he said he has a stamp kit and can stamp the VIN on there ... but there will be no VIN in the dash like a normal 68.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
67M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gt390bench View Post
Did you happen to buy the blue '67 Fastback with the funky stripes from the used dealer in Covington, GA?
No this is a solid blue coupe 67 .. I got it from woodstock, Ga ... also about a week ago I did ask a woman there and she said it is registered as a 67 and she said no red flags came up so I have nothing to worry about. >.>j or atleast thats what she said lol.

Last edited by 67M; 02-24-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: left out info
Old 02-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

Hey people! I had a 46 Ford and a 37 Ford. They had the registration number stamped on the frame in several places, each was only visible by removing the fender. It was also stamped on the top of the tranny and engine bell housing area. This could be seen by removing the front mat/carpet and removing the inspection plate. It was normal for the engine to be replaced with a rebuilt by 50,000 miles. Tranny if abused (by old standards) were often trashed long before the engine!

When I bought each of these, one in Illinois, one it Wisconsin the DMV/police were happy that I had the clear title signed by the owner.

At risk of preaching IMO we ask for problems by sitting on a title transfer for whatever reason.

I used to live in Indiana so am aware of the rediculous practice of paying property tax on things like cars, pianos, boats etc.

I've bought about 30 cars. Only two were new. A couple used from a dealer. Most have been used from out of state. I get the clear title thats signed by the owner and immediately take the title to the DMV and get the title in my name.

35 years ago I bought my 68 sig Stang from out of state. I immediately registered it as usual without problem! A few days later I proudly cleaning her up and examining the cool VIN on the passenger side dash. Looks like as I recall a digit is different. Turned out there was a letter that had to be a number. I had to go the the PO and ask him to go the his DMV and get a certified letter that the title he had was wrong.

My point is it was cleared up in a couple weeks. It's the only time in 50 years I had anyone acrually look at my car. It happened because of a typo and was quickly cleared up because I wasn't sitting on the PO title!

JMO,
Slim
Old 02-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

Worse yet, you find another number on the fender apron try to register it under thecorrect VIN and find out it's stolen.
tom991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

The numbers can be hidden under thick paint. You may need to take a wire wheel to uncover them. There is a 'window' in the drivers fender lip which is the area the numbers will be. I would not stamp a 68 VIN on a 67 body. That is definitely fraud.
Someone takes his pants off and the rafters knock
Rock is dead they say
Long Live Rock!
67 conv. 289 4spd(mine), 67 coupe 289 Export(swmbo's)

ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylexot View Post
The numbers can be hidden under thick paint. You may need to take a wire wheel to uncover them. There is a 'window' in the drivers fender lip which is the area the numbers will be. I would not stamp a 68 VIN on a 67 body. That is definitely fraud.
Agree completely!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.